Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 20:21   #1

Boat: Irwin 43MK3CC 45'loa Nautilady
brand new and about to start the next chapter

hello my wife and i are about to start our first trip at mile marker Zero heading south to Naples Fla have heard many less than good things about fla mooring and laws ect. oh well we will learn i hope! leaving next fri march 16 07 on the s/v Nautilady 43mk3cc Irwin come say hi any tips or advice i would welcome any thanks Peter & Peggi Christensen
peter d christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:58   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Peggy and Peter,
No tips from me about that trip but welcome to the site. Enjoy your first outing and look forward to your particpation on the site.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 11-03-2007, 07:45   #3

Pete,

Hope you have a great time! Let us know how it goes and what you find on the way.

Greg
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:00   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Peter, I think you will find details about the Florida situation at the Seven Seas Cruising Association web site, SSCA - Seven Seas Cruising Association - The Largest Cruising Organization In The World along with local contacts.

Apparently some of Florida has gotten the message, some of it tries to bluff (and if you have a printed copy of the law, they will go away) and with some holdouts...you have to remember, never argue with the man with the gun and summons book. Just document who he is, what he says, and file suit after you leave. There are folks who will help you do that if necessary.

If you've never spent time in Florida...read some of Carl Hiassen's books. He's a serious journalist with the Miami Herald but after too many years of seeing life down there...you'll only think his fiction novels are a farce if you haven't spent time there. Then, you'll see them as all too possible. Good light reading in any case.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:47   #5

Peter...for the trip itself...suggest you go to BOATUS.com website boaters forums and with your charts at hand review the section called east coast alerts which will give you many tips about shoal areas, bridge opening issues etc.
Do the same at Skipper Bob

...and you'll have a much easier trip as the guids and charts can never be kept up to date.

One spot early on to be aware of is the entrance to the Alligator River as you come in out of the Albermarle sound. Marker 3 on the charts show in a line with 1 and 5...but it has been moved WEST due to shoaling. Don't confuse marker 5 which you CAN see from marker 1 with the new marker 3 well off to your starboard or you will be aground. (I listen to the towboat calls on my VHF!!)

We had an I44CC and did your trip several times in her...always fun if you don't haveto meet a deadline! Enjoy the trip!!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:23   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Peggy and Peter,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. Please update us on your progress.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 15:40   #7

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Welcome Peggi and Peter,

There is much complaining about Florida anchorages disappearing - not to mention the bridge inconveniences as you get into South Florida if you are cruising by way of the ICW, some of it from us. Having said that, it's very doable, and there are nice anchorages and a few mooring fields along the way. We even did the bridges and stayed inside last winter because of bad weather outside.

The Late Skipper Bob's Anchorages of the ICW book is very good. Ours is tattered and has many notes. Jones Fruit Dock is still a part of old Florida history, and you may have to raft up at a mooring in Vero Beach, but that works as well. Southport Anchorage moorings in Stuart are just an hour up the St. Lucie River and a good spot to hang out for a while. We anchored in upscale Boca Raton at the edge of a sand bar last trip for a beautiful evening. (The No-Wake restrictions in Boca Raton and further south in Broward County have greatly improved wake conditions. Crandon Park has moorings and good access to shopping as well. No Name Harbor is isolated, but delightful (check out the iguanas in the trees).

If your question related more to permanent mooring conditions in Naples, I can't provide any input since we usually exit at No Name Harbor for the Bahamas.

You have landed in a great forum for good advice and opinions.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tom Dove’s Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) On-Line Anchorage Guide (free)
Tom Dove Home Page

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote