Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 23:44   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Bought a Boat in Perth

Hi - I'm new to the forum.
Our story....We relocated to Perth in 2007 and I spent two seasons crewing on a 40ft Farr to learn a bit about sailing as I'd never really sailed before. I eventually built up the courage to buy 'Ben Bolt' - a 40ft Trimaran in early 2010 - the idea was to slowly get my wife and kids keen on sailing and do some coastal cruising. As luck would have it we had hardly taken ownership when I took an assignment in Madagascar (just for 6 months to sit out the recession) and we left Ben Bolt sitting on a mooring in Mangles bay. Six months has now turned to 18 months, Ben Bolt is still sitting on the mooring and it looks like I'll be going from here to South Africa instead of returning to Perth...
Having failed at a few half-hearted attempts to get somebody to sail her over to Madagascar for me (and to sell her), I'm seriously considdering trying to get a crew together and sail her from Perth to Mauritius next June/July, from where I'm hoping to find somebody that can use her for charter / daysailing tourists - enough to keep her maintained.
Until then I'm looking for somebody that may want to use her (at no cost) for the season in Perth - just so she's at least getting some use and attention.
__________________

__________________
DasMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 23:56   #2
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

G'day DasMuller and welcome aboard. I don't think I can help you out (mores the pity) but I do know someone in Rockingham who has been seriously thinking about buying a cruising boat but just can't pull it all together right now (family, work etc etc). If you want to PM with more details, I can bounce the idea off him and if he is interested, I can put the two of you in touch. He is a responsible and level headed kind of guy.
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 00:42   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Yes please. That would be great. I'm new to this forum thing. What's PM.
__________________
DasMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 02:00   #4
Registered User
 
Eleven's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southampton UK
Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Posts: 1,220
Images: 3
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Click on the individuals name in the left hand panel, and you get a list of options.
{Personal Message} is one of them, i.e. not readily visible to others.
__________________
Ex Prout 31 Sailor, Now it's a 22ft Jaguar called 'Arfur' here in sunny Southampton, UK.
A few places left in Quayside Marina and Kemps Marina.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 06:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,571
Images: 240
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DasMuller.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 12:12   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 12:31   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
unbusted67's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Islesboro, ME
Boat: Looking for a new boat
Posts: 2,196
Images: 24
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

"Please sail and use my 40 ft trimaran for free"? This sounds like the flip side to an all to common post: Let me use/live on your 40 ft boat for free. We've got a live one!!! Welcome to CF. I am sure you will find all that you need and then some.
__________________
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 03:33   #8
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMuller View Post
Yes please. That would be great. I'm new to this forum thing. What's PM.
I will ask him and let you know what eventuates
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 03:52   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Western Australia
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 311
Posts: 133
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Wotname, DasMuller, let me know if I can be of any help (newbie up for fun crewing a trimaran near Perth).
__________________
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 04:37   #10
Registered User
 
Jamel's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Beautiful South West Western Australia
Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia
Posts: 223
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMuller View Post
Hi - I'm new to the forum.
Our story....We relocated to Perth in 2007 and I spent two seasons crewing on a 40ft Farr to learn a bit about sailing as I'd never really sailed before. I eventually built up the courage to buy 'Ben Bolt' - a 40ft Trimaran in early 2010 - the idea was to slowly get my wife and kids keen on sailing and do some coastal cruising. As luck would have it we had hardly taken ownership when I took an assignment in Madagascar (just for 6 months to sit out the recession) and we left Ben Bolt sitting on a mooring in Mangles bay. Six months has now turned to 18 months, Ben Bolt is still sitting on the mooring and it looks like I'll be going from here to South Africa instead of returning to Perth...
Having failed at a few half-hearted attempts to get somebody to sail her over to Madagascar for me (and to sell her), I'm seriously considdering trying to get a crew together and sail her from Perth to Mauritius next June/July, from where I'm hoping to find somebody that can use her for charter / daysailing tourists - enough to keep her maintained.
Until then I'm looking for somebody that may want to use her (at no cost) for the season in Perth - just so she's at least getting some use and attention.
Sad case really! Impulse buying can have dire consequences down the track!

All the best mate, hope the outcome is OK!
__________________
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 06:45   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Perth WA
Boat: Roberts Mauritius 46 Ketch
Posts: 3
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

G'day DasMuller,
If you haven't finalised someone to care/use your boat, I am interested in throwing my hat in the ring. Like you, I am looking at buying an ocean going boat for cruising.
Regards
MC
__________________
Mark Cusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 08:20   #12
Registered User
 
cat man do's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia [until the boats launched]
Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Posts: 4,409
Images: 36
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Dudley and Jenny's old boat eh?
I see she's had a colour change away from the red and white of old.
__________________
"Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you a yacht large enough to pull up right alongside it"...............David Lee Roth
Long Distance Motorboat Cruising It Is Possible on a Small Budget
cat man do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:51   #13
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I will ask him and let you know what eventuates
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigelKent View Post
Wotname, DasMuller, let me know if I can be of any help (newbie up for fun crewing a trimaran near Perth).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cusack View Post
G'day DasMuller,
If you haven't finalised someone to care/use your boat, I am interested in throwing my hat in the ring. Like you, I am looking at buying an ocean going boat for cruising.
Regards
MC
DasMuller,

Yes, my colleague is interested in helping out here. He is a member of the TCYC at Rockingham and has all the various tickets etc required in WA.

We are also thinking that RigelKent and Mark Cusack (if he is still interested) and myself can help him out if and when as required.

What would you like to do next?
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08   #14
Registered User
 
Unicorn Dreams's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Clear Lake Marine Services - Seabrook, Texas
Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Posts: 2,359
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
__________________
Formerly Santana
The winds blow true,The skies stay blue,
Everyday is a good day for SAILING!!!!
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:44   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

Great!! Sorry for the delayed response. I'm planning to be in Perth 06-20 November to give her a little much needed attention, but I don't think time will allow me to get her out of the water. I've also had some interest from a couple that are relocating to Perth for a year on contract. Not sure how to proceed from here - are any of you guys able to make it to TCYC at any time between 6&20 Nov?
__________________

__________________
DasMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Girl Overboard ! TigerLilly Health, Safety & Related Gear 82 24-02-2016 23:07
To Buy or to Wait . . . GorMac Dollars & Cents 13 30-11-2015 10:09
We Just Bought Our First Boat dtstines Meets & Greets 17 25-10-2011 04:43
Cairns to Perth Part 1 Bartlettsrise Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 1 11-09-2011 00:38



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.