Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 18:41   #1

Boat Newbie

Hi,

I'm new to sailing and own an Ericson 27 moored out in San Diego Bay. This boat is my beater boat where I'm learning and sailing at the same time without putting much into it.

I'm ready for a real cruising capable boat and have my heart set on the Pacific Seacrafts Dana/Orion. I know for sure that I would like to buy one in early next year. My budget exceeds 50K but since I'm new to boating, I'm not sure if I will be over paying for a boat. I have been to yachtworld and all of these PS I'm talking about are over 40k

So, my question is what should I know about pricing and negotiating with boat brokers? I would rather buy from a private party but I have not seen one on Craigslist in awhile. Any thoughts would help. Thanks
Joe619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 19:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boat Newbie

I would find a owner group and post letting them know you want to buy. This may prompt a FSBO contact.

Good luck.

Regarding boat negotiations there is already a lot of advice on that in many threads, I suggest do a google custom search using various key terms. Look at the drop down menu search, Google custom search.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 20:33   #3

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Keep your eyes open and remember, the boat you're looking for might not be for sail yet. I missed out on a well priced Dana by one day, then up popped the Orion I ended up buying. The PO cut the price by the amount it would cost to convert from tiller to wheel. Thinking that's what all buyers were looking for. Fortunately for me a tiller was mandatory. So i ended up with a good deal on exactly what I was looking for.
By the way, if the Ericson 31i was available with a tiller from the factory it would have been near the top of my list.
Best of luck,

goat

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 21:49   #4

OK,

Thanks for the replies, I'll take your advices!

Best,

Joe
Joe619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 19:59   #5

Boat: Club sailor...Victory 21, Ensign 25, Catalina 25, Lagoon 380, Catalina 290

Hey Joe,

I'm in San Diego as well, I rent from a few local clubs.

A local sailing instructor I know helped another sailor find and buy his 42 foot sailboat. I met him when he was fitting it out in Ensenada, MX for longer trips.

If you'd like, I can put you in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
RSkillings is offline   Reply With Quote