Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 14:57   #1

Boat Financing

Hello from the Alps,

I am very much a freshman to this whole topic but I must assure you that I am really serious about getting down to the mountains and directly into the caribbean sea.
I have a very basic question:
I am looking to buy a decent motor yacht of about 30 m length.
I've learned that a boat this size will cost approx. 1.5 Mio EUR.
How much of that amount would you have to bring in cash in order to receive the rest financed by a bank?
Is it true that about 10% of the boats new prize will have to be calculated for the annual maintenance costs?

Thanks for some help with the first steps.
redfox236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: boat financing

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox236 View Post
Hello from the Alps,

I am very much a freshman to this whole topic but I must assure you that I am really serious about getting down to the mountains and directly into the caribbean sea.
I have a very basic question:
I am looking to buy a decent motor yacht of about 30 m length.
I've learned that a boat this size will cost approx. 1.5 Mio EUR.
How much of that amount would you have to bring in cash in order to receive the rest financed by a bank?
Is it true that about 10% of the boats new prize will have to be calculated for the annual maintenance costs?

Thanks for some help with the first steps.
Ask your bank... they're the financiers... not us lot..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:24   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: boat financing

A 30 meter motor yacht? That is something you would see hanging around Monaco or Cannes. A yacht that big would require permanent crew and a yearly budget would probably be in the half million to one million Euro/year range. Prices would range in the one to 5 million Euro range and higher if you want a new one.
- - If that is your real interest, you are on the wrong forum - a don't know if the "big boys" have a forum but they have some neat magazines like "Showboats", "Motor Yachting," and others.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 08:06   #4

Re: boat financing

@osirissail:

The goal is not to show off with the boat but rather to have a boat that can generate a sufficient revenue in order to maintain itself (incl. the Skipper)
I just figured that a 30 m long boat could host up to 3 families (excl. crew) and by that generate a weekly "rental turnover" of around 30.000 USD.

Am I way off target?
redfox236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 09:08   #5

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24
Re: Boat Financing

If you have to ask about financing a 30m yacht, you can't afford the thing. The purchase price you mention, 1.5 million, is not your primary concern. A motor yacht, 30 meters long, 7000 liters of fuel, generators, batteries? 10% is going to be a little shy. Not to mention the crew your going to need. Not even I would work for free on a boat like that. To much like work.
NeptunesTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 09:56   #6

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

An operation on this scale requires professional advice from tax, legal, accounting, insurance, and nautical professionals. A business plan would be appropriate and may be required. Potential financiers may demand significant background information about your relevant business experience and the experience of your team members and could be expected to demand that you demonstrate how you will preserve the value of the asset (boat -- i.e. with professional crew following established maintenance and safety procedures).

Perhaps your neighbour, Ernesto Bertarelli, could give you more tips on how to lose money on yachts. I haven't seem him post on this forum, but maybe one of the moderators would know if maybe he is a "lurker"?
Old 31-08-2011, 17:36   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

It is fun to envision such an operation but from the real world aspect of chartering in the economic realm of the people who do and do not read/post on this forum - your choice of a 30 meter power yacht is most probably not going to be economically possible.
- - Currently, in the Caribbean you can charter a power yacht (power catamaran) in the 15 meter range for about US$9K per week. Three couples can easily fit on these boats, in fact, I have seen these boats with as many as 12 people on them. You would be competing with the mainstream price of about US$10K per week against your suggested price of US$30K. Not a viable operation.
- - In order to charge US$30K per week you would have to sell to a very restricted market of "rich and famous" people with a product that involves not only an extreme luxury yacht but a full crew staff including gourmet cooks, servers, and associated staff - probably looking at about 5 to 10 total crewmembers. Music rock stars and people in the Paris Hilton circles might be interested. You can find YouTube videos of them playing on board yachts in the French Riviera and Ibizia.
- - Here is an example photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gallery_main-paris-hilton-topless-pictures-09.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	31030  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 17:40   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Unless you have a track record to back it up, I cannot imagine any legitimate bank financing such a charter operation that will take the boat immediately out of the country.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 22:35   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Good luck on finding the information you seek. I don't know anyone on this forum that would be able to give you an opinion based on experience with a 90 m vessel.
kind regards,
Old 22-09-2011, 22:53   #10

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
pirate Re: Boat Financing

I'd make it a 90m two seater cigarette boat (although at that size we could call it a Churchill Cigar) and just charge the passenger 1 million$ per day. You could triple your investment in a week and still have the weekend off :P. All fun aside, If you're serious and that’s what you really want to do good luck to you. From my own wealth of experience with dealing with multi billion dollar yachting companies, if you're rich enough to rent it you're rich enough to buy it. Anyone that would fit into a shady in between area is dealing with a recession at the moment.
-Ryan
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 00:40   #11

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Don't worry about the nay sayers. If you send me over the 10% deposit, I'll see how I go arranging the rest. No problem.
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
financing