Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 13:49   #16

Re: Blog vs Website or Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
I wanted to start up a blog.

Firstly, congratulations and safe sailing with the new boat.

I would love to understand the rationale behind having a blog.

Why is it so important to some?

Doesn't one live life to the full for their own enjoyment?

Are special moments still special if one is walking around with an unwieldy selfie stick held high, filming retakes?

Why is it necessary to burn up ones valuable time entertaining the world with ones own life?

Is it about seeking affirmation/validation from the masses.?

I don't get it.

Please help me understand.
Old 07-11-2017, 14:24   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
...I would love to understand the rationale behind having a blog. Why is it so important to some?
….
Please help me understand.
I basically agree with you.

I, reluctantly, started blogging after much family/friend pressure who wanted to know and see what we’ve been up to. I write it for that purpose, and for that audience, although I admit that it has become a good way for me to keep track of our travels and adventures over the years.

Although I only write and post for friends/family, I’ve been surprised, and a bit befuddled, at the growing interest in the little blog. I link to it here b/c of that, but I still only write for close friends and family (and me).
Old 07-11-2017, 14:53   #18

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Like mike said mostly family and friends as they are in California and I'm in Florida. Also, I'm from a desert/off road background so I'm able to explain things / show pictures of what I'm doing.

Also I spent a lot of years in the dream phase reading other peoples blogs and books. Maybe someone will like my blog in return.

If I accidently make a little coin on the side well that's nice. But writing a blog post isn't a huge effort
Old 07-11-2017, 15:09   #19

Boat: J/42

Like Mike, I own my own domains for my businesses, but have not used one for personal material. I will set one up one of these days soon.
Another peril of using someone else's "free" service is that they not only own all of your content, but can take it away without warning. For example, the recent Photobucket debacle, in which they cut off all the photo share libraries that many had been building for years, and demanded hundreds of dollars ransom for them.
In addition, sharing links and photos from one's own domain to sites like this would probably improve one's Google ranking, if that is something that's important to one. I suspect that I may have been wasting years of potential backlinks.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 15:27   #20

Boat: Outbound 46

First of all, Thank You SO much for all your feedback on this topic!
I already Love this forum.
Our purpose with a blog/FB page is mainly to update our relatives around the world. Also we see it as a way to document our journey, like a skippers log.
So I like the idea of writing in Word daily, as a log, and then copy it in to a blog or FB.
Thanks again
Pollux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 18:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post

Another peril of using someone else's "free" service is that they not only own all of your content, but can take it away without warning. For example, the recent Photobucket debacle, in which they cut off all the photo share libraries that many had been building for years, and demanded hundreds of dollars ransom for them.

Toddster,

I acknowledge the Photobucket as malicious & inappropriate behavior. You really do need to read the EULAs (End User Licensing Agreements) & think about what their impact on you might be. Some people just have to be dicks.

But no one would have lost anything if they had: (1) copyrighted their photos before sharing them on Photobucket; & (2) kept backup(s) on media they controlled. You don’t surrender your rights to use your creative product when you post on such sites.

Same thing applies to using blog hosting sites. It’s all part of the learning curve. It doesn’t seem to help much to shake one’s fist at Mother Nature & scream, “You shouldn’t have blown my beautiful sailboat up onto this nasty reef.”

I think it’s sad that some people think it’s ok to take something that rightfully belongs to another, but they do. & that’s part of the learning curve. & they can & will, whether you use a blogging site or hosted site or your own hardware. & that’s part of the learning curve, too.

You certainly should NOT post any creative content that you intend to monetize to any public forum until you fully understand copyright law.
Old 07-11-2017, 18:46   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
Toddster,

I acknowledge the Photobucket as malicious & inappropriate behavior. You really do need to read the EULAs (End User Licensing Agreements) & think about what their impact on you might be. Some people just have to be dicks.

But no one would have lost anything if they had: (1) copyrighted their photos before sharing them on Photobucket; & (2) kept backup(s) on media they controlled. You don’t surrender your rights to use your creative product when you post on such sites.

Same thing applies to using blog hosting sites. It’s all part of the learning curve. It doesn’t seem to help much to shake one’s fist at Mother Nature & scream, “You shouldn’t have blown my beautiful sailboat up onto this nasty reef.”

I think it’s sad that some people think it’s ok to take something that rightfully belongs to another, but they do. & that’s part of the learning curve. & they can & will, whether you use a blogging site or hosted site or your own hardware. & that’s part of the learning curve, too.

You certainly should NOT post any creative content that you intend to monetize to any public forum until you fully understand copyright law.
Well put Jeff, although a slight tweak. No one needs to copyright their creation (writing, image, vid, etc.). Copyright in all Western countries I’m aware of is vested with the creator at the point of creation. No further act is required.

You can register your copyright with various agencies and databases (each country does this differently), but copyright as a legal right does not require this.

The EULAs I’ve read do not extract copyright from their contributors. What they do is demand some sort of perpetual, unfettered, and uncompensated license to use the contributor’s work. It’s not an exclusive license, and the creator still retains copyright, so can also use their work in whatever way they want. But the site can also do the same.

The real takeaway is as you’ve said: if you care about the content, then don’t post it on these “free” sites (including this one).

Of course, my further concern with sites like Facebook, and tools like Google, is that they’re really after your personal information. They want to know you better than you know you. Their real business is to sell you (figuratively speaking) to other third-parties.
Old 07-11-2017, 22:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>like a skippers log.>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So I like the idea of writing in Word daily, as a log, and then copy it in to a blog or FB.
You're very welcome, from all of us.

Log? If you want it chronologically, even in reverse order, use a free blog.

If you want it useless, all over the place, unsearchable, and piecemeal, by all means, use FB.

If your FB "friends" can't find a blog, when you tell them exactly where it is!!!, they deserve to miss your valued content.

Just don't say we didn't warn ya.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 00:17   #24

Boat: Lagoon 42

it is probably suggested already , but here goes (again)

register a domain

install wordpress + some addons for your blog on your own domain

write on your own domain/blog , post pics and link to your YT video's from your blog

your blog will automatically share your posts on your FB page (and instagram, twitter etc etc etc)

this way you only have to maintain 1 source (your blog) which you own and that automatically cascades your writing , scribbles and posts down to other social media outlets
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote