Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2013, 23:46   #1
Registered User
 
Kansas City's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Big Dreams and not a clue

Thanks for having a page I can get a bit of info from.

I'm 45 and married with two kids. We live in Missouri. Never sailed a boat or been on a sailboat. Was a Boy Scout so I know a few knots. I'm still having trouble picking up the lingo.

But I'm in love with the Caribbean. The breeze, the climate, the ocean, the people, and the slower way of life.

So like plenty before me. Here I am to soak up info and trying to figure out if We could handle the onboard lifestyle. Only be 3 of us. And 2 of us 5 years from now.

So that's my intro

Craig
__________________

__________________
Kansas City, Mo..Sailing looks fun
Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 01:31   #2
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Welcome KC! The Caribbean is a truly beautiful and magical place. My husband I have been coming down here since 2005. First as bareboat charters, now as cruisers. We retired a year ago and moved aboard in Puerto Rico where we outfitted the boat last fall/winter.

Before you jump into sailing, you might want to find out if you all can live together in a small space 24/7. Try renting an RV and traveling of a couple of weeks. If you haven't killed each other after that LOL, try a few bareboat charters with a captain. If the magic grabs you, then start learning to sail and start your planning then.

Bon Voyage!
Robyn
__________________

__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 04:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,580
Images: 240
Re: Big Dreams and not a clue

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF,Craig.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:41   #4
Registered User
 
Kansas City's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF,Craig.
Thank you GordMay
__________________
Kansas City, Mo..Sailing looks fun
Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:49   #5
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Welcome KC! The Caribbean is a truly beautiful and magical place. My husband I have been coming down here since 2005. First as bareboat charters, now as cruisers. We retired a year ago and moved aboard in Puerto Rico where we outfitted the boat last fall/winter. Before you jump into sailing, you might want to find out if you all can live together in a small space 24/7. Try renting an RV and traveling of a couple of weeks. If you haven't killed each other after that LOL, try a few bareboat charters with a captain. If the magic grabs you, then start learning to sail and start your planning then. Bon Voyage! Robyn
Good advice here.

My wife and I also had the dream and once our daughter was born (1.5 years ago) we decided to escape. Sold most of our stuff and bought and rebuilt a 24' RV to see if we could cut it with the three of us, a cat and a dog. Traveled a bit and managed just fine. It actually only solidified our dreams as reality. We sold the rest of the bit including the camper and packed up 4 suitcases and moved to the USVI. This time to see if we could handle island life and the heat. Also to have a base for living aboard because although we've both been on boats out whole lives, never sailed. A great base to island hop and build skills. Now here we are, LOVING the Virgin Islands and less than a year from the big purchase and moving aboard.
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:52   #6
Registered User
 
Kansas City's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Welcome KC! The Caribbean is a truly beautiful and magical place. My husband I have been coming down here since 2005. First as bareboat charters, now as cruisers. We retired a year ago and moved aboard in Puerto Rico where we outfitted the boat last fall/winter. Before you jump into sailing, you might want to find out if you all can live together in a small space 24/7. Try renting an RV and traveling of a couple of weeks. If you haven't killed each other after that LOL, try a few bareboat charters with a captain. If the magic grabs you, then start learning to sail and start your planning then. Bon Voyage! Robyn
Our daughter is 13 and against the idea entirely. Would hate to leave her friends. But she can be gone from us in 5 years. Or maybe she will change her mind.
Thanks for teaching a new term. "Bareboat charter". Will have to read more in that area. Sounds a lot like "Captain Ron".

If we can't convince our daughter into leaving we will have a minimum of 5 years to explore this option even further. My wife and I are convinced we can do this. Her and I against the world type thing. This has opened up a whole new world of lingo, possibilities, questions, and education we would need to find. But we can start slow and hopefully our "want to do this" won't waver
__________________
Kansas City, Mo..Sailing looks fun
Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:59   #7
Registered User
 
Kansas City's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Good advice here. My wife and I also had the dream and once our daughter was born (1.5 years ago) we decided to escape. Sold most of our stuff and bought and rebuilt a 24' RV to see if we could cut it with the three of us, a cat and a dog. Traveled a bit and managed just fine. It actually only solidified our dreams as reality. We sold the rest of the bit including the camper and packed up 4 suitcases and moved to the USVI. This time to see if we could handle island life and the heat. Also to have a base for living aboard because although we've both been on boats out whole lives, never sailed. A great base to island hop and build skills. Now here we are, LOVING the Virgin Islands and less than a year from the big purchase and moving aboard.
So you moved to the islands first? You worked while there? Did you live in a boat at a dock, or on land? Did your daughter attend school there? Being in a USVI you maintained US citizenship? How long have you been there? I know that was a lot to answer at once. Just gaining information.
__________________
Kansas City, Mo..Sailing looks fun
Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 11:05   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: INDIANA
Posts: 199
Re: Big Dreams and not a clue

Kansas City: Husband and I decided to do this 5-6 years ago when we retire. Now only 2.5 years to go. Only sailed on lake boats. Have rentals to sell, putting first one up for sale later this month. Joined a Crossfit gym and getting stronger. Need to be able to pull up the anchor if automatic thingy (windlass?) fails. Soo much to learn.

Starting to list things on Craig's list locally to sell and already starting to empty the cupboards and closets so house looks bigger when we finally go to sell.

Time can also be spent learning Spanish and French as I am told that helps in the islands also. The closer it gets, the more excited you will get. Hope to see you out there some day.
__________________
In Training is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 11:05   #9
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
So you moved to the islands first? You worked while there? Did you live in a boat at a dock, or on land? Did your daughter attend school there? Being in a USVI you maintained US citizenship? How long have you been there? I know that was a lot to answer at once. Just gaining information.
Yes, we moved to the USVI before buying a boat. Neither of us currently work, and we currently live on land while locating the perfect yacht for us. We're between 6-10 months from the purchase and move aboard. Lots of good deals down here. We plan on living in a marina for the first couple months after the purchase to get acclimated and situated and then will be living mostly on the hook around the islands. Our daughter is 1.5 so no school yet. She'll be home schooled while we sail the world. Yes, living in USVI you maintain your citizenship, which was a necessity for us (although can't vote in federal elections). We have been here for about 3-4 months now.
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 11:13   #10
Registered User
 
Kansas City's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
Kansas City: Husband and I decided to do this 5-6 years ago when we retire. Now only 2.5 years to go. Only sailed on lake boats. Have rentals to sell, putting first one up for sale later this month. Joined a Crossfit gym and getting stronger. Need to be able to pull up the anchor if automatic thingy (windlass?) fails. Soo much to learn. Starting to list things on Craig's list locally to sell and already starting to empty the cupboards and closets so house looks bigger when we finally go to sell. Time can also be spent learning Spanish and French as I am told that helps in the islands also. The closer it gets, the more excited you will get. Hope to see you out there some day.
Sounds like you have a great plan. I hope the dream becomes an achievement for you and us as well. As we are in Kansas City we have a few small lakes and a large one that has sailing classes ASA. But in Kansas City we have winter so those classes are only offered in spring/summer.
Leaving out house and cars would be fairly simple. Never were in love with them anyways. While technically I can't fully retire for 7 years. I could handle leaving today. Thank you again.
I hope it works out for you both.
__________________
Kansas City, Mo..Sailing looks fun
Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 11:15   #11
Registered User
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA, boat: Deale, MD
Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Posts: 1,409
Re: Big Dreams and not a clue

Research is key in this. Research the lingo, products, boats, and anything else you come up with. If there's something you find and you want to learn more, search for it.

There is tons of info on past threads. Go to the Search Page and go through the archives.

Since you're starting out, read about how to sail and see if there is a place you can go to take lessons.

If after the research and you're still not sure of something, you can always ask and there will be plenty of people who can help answer. Part of the research is that many questions you (will) have may have been asked already.

Good luck and welcome to the group.
__________________
Daniel - Rhapsody Blog,
“A sailor’s joys are as simple as a child’s.” — Bernard Moitessier
"I don't need therapy, I just need my boat"
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 11:25   #12
Registered User
 
Kansas City's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Research is key in this. Research the lingo, products, boats, and anything else you come up with. If there's something you find and you want to learn more, search for it. There is tons of info on past threads. Go to the Search Page and go through the archives. Since you're starting out, read about how to sail and see if there is a place you can go to take lessons. If after the research and you're still not sure of something, you can always ask and there will be plenty of people who can help answer. Part of the research is that many questions you (will) have may have been asked already. Good luck and welcome to the group.
Thank you very much. I have begun my research. I have a very long way to go. Plan to even find a few books. Maybe "Sailing for Dummies". It's a new found interest. A new found goal, doing what I can to make it reality before I'm in the ground.

Thank you again
__________________
Kansas City, Mo..Sailing looks fun
Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 11:37   #13
Registered User
 
MBLittle's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St Thomas, USVI
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
Thank you very much. I have begun my research. I have a very long way to go. Plan to even find a few books. Maybe "Sailing for Dummies". It's a new found interest. A new found goal, doing what I can to make it reality before I'm in the ground. Thank you again
Blogs are also a great form of information and motivation. There are hundreds of active blogs about sailing couples and families.

Older ones include the Hacking Family and Maxing Out. Those two solidified the desire for us.
__________________
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 12:00   #14
Registered User
 
Kansas City's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Blogs are also a great form of information and motivation. There are hundreds of active blogs about sailing couples and families. Older ones include the Hacking Family and Maxing Out. Those two solidified the desire for us.
Will look for those blogs. It will probably just increase my desire to get out there. I'm willing to go next week. But I lack the knowledge. Not that has ever stopped me before just from jumping in head first to quicksand. In this case I need to plan it, train for it, and read a lot. I don't think my wife would appreciate us taking on water, miles from shore, storm approaching, and me trying to raise a sail for the 509th time.
__________________
Kansas City, Mo..Sailing looks fun
Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 20:51   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kea'au, Big Island, Hawaii
Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Posts: 14,192
Re: Big Dreams and not a clue

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good place to start your dream is with a sailing class for all your family that will be sharing your dream.
__________________

__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.