Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-10-2013, 11:36   #16

Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard! Good place to start your dream is with a sailing class for all your family that will be sharing your dream.
Thanks for the advice. That would be the best option. However we live in the Midwest. Fall is here and winter is next. There is one place 3 hours from our house that does lessons. But only on the summer. Our daughter is the only one we would bring along. She is not in with the idea. So this dream is a minimum of 5 years out. Looking like further out and that.

Kansas City, Mo..Sailing looks fun
Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:13   #17

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Big Dreams and not a clue

Welcome aboard. I have a daughter the same age. Don't know the sailing situation where you are, and what you call a small lake. Lots of $2-5k trailer sailboats out there to cut your teeth on.

Grab some lessons to start.

I recommend never teaching your child or wife to sail. It causes too much conflict.

ohdrinkboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 13:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Big Dreams and not a clue

Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
Our daughter is 13 and against the idea entirely. Would hate to leave her friends. But she can be gone from us in 5 years. Or maybe she will change her mind.
Thanks for teaching a new term. "Bareboat charter". Will have to read more in that area. Sounds a lot like "Captain Ron".

If we can't convince our daughter into leaving we will have a minimum of 5 years to explore this option even further. My wife and I are convinced we can do this. Her and I against the world type thing. This has opened up a whole new world of lingo, possibilities, questions, and education we would need to find. But we can start slow and hopefully our "want to do this" won't waver
Your situation is perfect. You have 5 years to get a "clue'. Get started ASAP...

And good luck with your decisions going forward.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: