Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2009, 13:54   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

View from the Armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcraw View Post
There is a lot of helpful info on this site, but take most of what is said as a grain of salt. This site should be called "Armchair Sailor Forum".
I was curious as to what (if any) response your post would elicit Although I do agree with much of the general gist I found the "grain of salt" comment a tad harsh (and also a bit contradictory to your other statements).

Quote:
but it's just that I feel putting too much faith in anything other than yourself (this website or any other) sets you back in reaching your goal...so take what you can from it and add it to your own skills.
I think that is fair comment. CF.com is a great tool in helping someone towards finding their own answers - but is not (nor I think claims to be) the answer, nor the only tool........very much what folk make of it - as much else in life
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 08:10   #32

Boat: SJ23 1988
Judy,

I'll quote you:

It just always grabbed my heart the moment the engine was cut and we were under way, in that glorious moment there was no noise, just beauty.

These are the thoughts and reality of sailing that keep us moving forward to our dreams. Life throws us challenges that we think get in our way of our dreams, we just need to persist and focus the time we have on our goals.

Best wishes to you in your dreams.

Sincerely, another with dreams of casting off and sailing away.
cheers
FxdGrMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 10:40   #33

Although I am not yet a sailor, I have already received some good advice and encouragement from this site. What I have noticed is that you will get a strong dose of reality when necessary by some members. I always research things that are new to me, from several angles and anticipating many problems. With the high tech world at our fingertips, it would be foolish not to (in my humble opinion). I appreciate the directness when it is necessary to keep me focused on the goal.
As for cruising on a tight budget, we shall see. I have been a minimalist by choice for the last 7 years. I no longer own anything that I cannot carry inside or on top of my Jeep Cherokee (Kayak on top). I don't need a television, air conditioning or many of the luxuries people think they need to survive. I hope to one day pick up a cruiser of about 30' (give or take) and live aboard/cruise on about $1k per month. Granted, I am not planning to circumnavigate the globe (yet) and will require years of learning to get comfortable to do any crossings alone. So will more than likely just hang out in the Gulf of Mexico from Florida to Texas for a while. But I believe my budget will afford me an interesting lifestyle.
So until I luck across the starter boat of my dreams, I will listen intently to the veterans of the lifestyle. And thank them for for their knowledge.
flatspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 23:18   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Bizarre that this should be presented to me 366 days since the last resurrection. Yes, life has thrown obstacles at me. Nothing I haven't been able to plow through, like a huge glorious swell breaking on the bow :-) Not to worry, I'm fine and on my way. I have a plan and I have wonderful support from family and friends. Life is so wonderful, enjoy! Just enjoy and move toward!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 05:13   #35
Scurvy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck1955 View Post
CONGRATULATIONS on taking the first steps and putting your dream into action, it has become a goal, no longer a fantasy.
Adrian;

Thanks for your post, it was a good reminder. Another side of the issue is to keep the plan in mind, even years later from when you put it in place. Is it still valid? Is it still what you want to do? If so, make sure you don't make any decisions that lead you away from your goal, keep focused.
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 12:14   #36

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Progress Report

Staying focused on sailing/cruising is not a problem for me. Obsessions are hard to divert from J

In the past 369 days……..
I joined the power squadron, passed the Seamanship course, volunteered to teach safe boating classes, I helped with the booth at a winter boat show. Piloting, boat electronic, engine repair classes will be this fall and winter. I was in a parade with the PS! I have met some great new friends through this group, one a female delivery captain that wants to learn how to sail, and would like me to first mate for her on some power boat deliveries back ‘n forth to FLA. I also joined a yacht club. I have volunteered to crew for 2 races, there will be more races in the fall. I have been invited to crew with members. Between the two groups, I get out on the water a lot! The high light of this past year was flying into Antigua to help deliver a boat back to Tortola! My first open ocean and I found it so beautiful that my words can’t do the experience justice. I hung out in Tortola for 3 weeks and sailed as often as possible with friends there. My job can be easily done from remote places. Just need Wifi occasionally to email and upload. J I Just had a conversation with my manager about just that. It’s cool with him as long as he gets to fly to me to give me my annual review. J It might have to start 6 months cubical-6 months boat. I can live with that. I could also contract my work out to other customers. I’m also working other angles of passive income. I might never be able to retire. I don’t care, as long as I’m on the boat and enjoying my life. My life is good now, it’s just getting better.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 15:11   #37

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
YOU GO GIRL!!
Erika