Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 15:27   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
...Well, one thing led to another and the next thing I know my wife secretly books the lessons in St Thomas. What a wonderful girl?...
Wayne,

Ha! I'd say you've got a keeper there!

I do, too. We were searching for "The Right Boat", but nothing seemed to please both of us. Then my wife secretly contacted an Island Packet dealer, got the literature mailed to her, and decided she liked the boat. The first thing I heard about it was, "do you want to drive up to Rock Hall next Wednesday and test sail an IP 380?" The only answer to a question like that is, "Yes!" We drove up to Rock Hall, test sailed the boat, and bought it!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Wayne,

Travis is a good sailing lake. We are in Corpus Christi - please look us up next time you are there.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:33   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Good advice from Ralph. Get in some lessons before you go. You will never regret. Some here will admit after 30, 40, 50, years they are still learning. I haven't quite got 30 years, and feel myself the novice.......BEST WISHES in enjoying this addiction.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 17:03   #19

We actually went out this past weekend for some lessons on Lake LBJ. The boat was a Flying Scot. It wasn't very warm and the water was even colder, it was a blast. So, with bluish lips and chattering teeth, one of the first things the future admiral (I think thats the term for my bride) said when we got done was "lets get a boat". We're now looking for a boat to put in at Lake Travis. Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I can't wait until the end of the month when we get to St. Thomas.

Wayne
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 17:36   #20

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
First - learn how to anchor - that is 95% of cruising. 4% is waiting for a nice weather to go out / cross. Second - Put all of the magazines in a large Ziploc back, put the bag into a large Tupperware container, and place the whole mess in your freezer. Also, stop reading the "it was really bad" stories on the forum. Sailors love a good yarn and tend to over tell any story. My 78 year old dad even has a tenancy to tell stories where I die in the end - even when I am there when he is telling the story.

Go out charter a boat, crew on racing sailboats, help people on the dock wash the boat if they will take you out. Just get on the water! You learn by doing.
peterroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 19:25   #21

There is a company named Texas Sailing Club Texas Sailing Club Member Rental Rates that offices at the top of the tramway going down the cliff to the Lakeway Marina on Lake Travis. I looked at some of their boats in December and they looked pretty nice. You might check them out. Good luck.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote