Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2015, 19:27   #16

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
Re: Bahamas Sailing with Children

We chartered with Navtours out of Georgetown, Exumas in November and went from Georgetown to Nassau one-way (didn't have to return to our starting point - covered LOTS of ground!!). We had 3 adults and our 6 year-old daughter was with us. Great time and we can highly recommend them.

That time of year not sure which boats they will have available however, some of their boats are split between their base there and in Lake Champlain. They have a decent selection and newer boats. I would go with a cat for sure - lots of shallow water around the Bahamas!

Not sure what the previous comment about navigation not being charter friendly meant .. if you can read a chart, the Explorer Charts are some of the best around and they cover all of the Bahamas. Might not be as easy line-of-sight as BVI, but if you can keep track of where you are and the tides, it's not difficult. Plus there are anchorages galore.

Easiest way to to get where we did was to fly to Georgetown from Miami or you can go through Nassau.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 08:41   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

One thing I recommend for chartering in the Bahamas if using Sunsail or Moorings or any other boats not using Garmin GPS, is to download the Garmin charts app and charts to your iPhone and/or iPad for $30. They incorporate the Explorer chart information and are much more accurate than those standard on the Moorings/Sunsail boats.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 10:59   #18

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Bahamashols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 11:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Yes Mark, there are....Abacos Yacht Charter | Sunsail USA

Plenty of entertainment value watching these charter boats everywhere on the Sea of Abaco.

I guess we hit it lucky. There was a charter cat that eventually picked up a mooring in Hopetown. What they lacked in boathandling, they made up with nekkid partying. (no, I didn't bring out the binoculars ). It was spring break at the time, so not old cruising couples, but young, healthy, attractive kids.

Seriously, the Sea of Abaco offers some pretty safe sailing grounds. Probably good for a family on their first trip to the Bahamas.

Ralph
Wow, that must have been an anomaly, Hopetown seems very gentrified to me. However, I have been at Nippers during the Sunday afternoon pig roast, and there were definitely some non kid-friendly shenanigans (later in the evening the party moved across the island to Grabbers, and deteriorated into a bar fight - two women throwing bar stools at each other, no joke).
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, children, sail, sailing