Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 13:35   #1

Boat: Tartan 34 1985
Back on the Water

Hi to all,
We just bought a Tartan 34 1985, after 18 years back on land and are in the process of getting her ready to go offshore again. We are currently refitting and are looking for replacements for the old Datamarine depth and wind instruments. It would be nice to find something that will fit into the existing 4" dia. holes and would like some advice. Also, the boat came with CNG stove and I'm finding that no one in or around Alabama fill the tanks anymore. Can I convert to Propane without replacing stove or is there any other way to get the tanks filled?
Bob
Tif Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 14:17   #2

Boat: C&C 38'
CNG is lighter than air and does not require a vented storage locker. Propane is heavier than air and requires a vented locker or strapping the storage tank outside. The orifices must be changed and a different pressure regulator is needed. Most gas appliances can be converted easily.
Old 26-07-2010, 14:27   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tif Blue View Post
Hi to all,
We just bought a Tartan 34 1985, after 18 years back on land and are in the process of getting her ready to go offshore again. We are currently refitting and are looking for replacements for the old Datamarine depth and wind instruments. It would be nice to find something that will fit into the existing 4" dia. holes and would like some advice. Also, the boat came with CNG stove and I'm finding that no one in or around Alabama fill the tanks anymore. Can I convert to Propane without replacing stove or is there any other way to get the tanks filled?
Bob
Instrument have changed a lot, many are surface mounted now and only require small holes for the wiring. I would fill in the holes left by the Datamarines. I don't think choosing instruments based on the size of the existing holes is such a great idea. As for the CNG I think you'll find it's not only in Alabama that it's hard to find an exchange station. Those things are darn near impossible to fill or exchange anywhere. Go with propane and bottom vented lockers.
Old 26-07-2010, 17:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
CNG is lighter than air and does not require a vented storage locker. Propane is heavier than air and requires a vented locker or strapping the storage tank outside. The orifices must be changed and a different pressure regulator is needed. Most gas appliances can be converted easily.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping I could do tho it would be nice to stay with CNG for the reasons you stated.
Old 27-07-2010, 06:57   #5

Boat: C&C 38'
My boat was equipped with a CNG stove. The PO converted it to propane and vented one of the small lockers on the stern. It will only hold one little 8 pound tank. I bought an adapter that lets me use one of those little 16 oz. propane cylinders that are used on camp stoves and lanterns to supply the boat. I also have a gas grill so I need those little cylinders to supply it also.
Last week I ran out of propane while cooking breakfast. I grabbed the adapter and a cylinder and replaced the propane source. I went below and turned the solinoid valve on, relighted the stove and went back to cooking. The skillet hardley cooled!
Old 31-07-2010, 20:05   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good choice of boats and congratulations.
kind regards,
Old 01-08-2010, 17:26   #7

Thanks for the reply. We love the boat tho it's a bit tighter than our last boat (43'). It came with air-conditioning, hot water heater, refrigeration, autopilot, LectraSan electric toilet treatment system, GPS, VHF, TV/VCR, stereo and no generator.
I don't think the boat ever left the dock! Anyway, we're slowly eliminating the electric demand starting with the AC and TV but she's a sweet S&S design and great in light air. Looking forward to our first cruise.
Bob
Old 01-08-2010, 17:29   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Congratulations on the boat and the plans. One of my friends went in a smaller Tartan - a Tartan 30 - on a four year circumnavigation around the world.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote