Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 11:06   #1

Boat: Catalina 250
Back again!

Hi folks,

Well, as another poster pointed out, it was just about 5 years ago that I registered here with dreams of long distance cruising and posted as crew available.

I allowed 'life', and the slings and arrows of everyday fortune, to get in the way and dammit all, 5 years went by.

Here I am again, with renewed wherewithal to pursue the dream. I'm looking for other ways besides the postings here and on Lat38 for crew, boats, and skippers. This is kind of like internet dating, anyone can post whatever they want, but at the end of the day, there are humans involved, with the shared objectives of getting away from the screen and out on the water.

I've been based out of Arizona of late, cash is tight, my C250 sits on the trailer needing new running rigging and who knows what else.

What I have most to offer is ME, and I say this with the true humility of knowing both my strengths and my limitations. I know damn well I will be a valued crew member once I find the right situation. The vast majority of my experience as been outside the realms of racing or the 'clubby' stuff; I'm the kind of guy who maintains just a few good friends rather than heaps of acquaintances.

I'm currently in SoCal, it's time for me to start poking around and meeting real humans, sailors, who get on boats and actually leave the marina.

I'm looking for advice on how to start.
Uglyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 23:41   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Back again!

Welcome to the forum...Why not get your C25 up and going and SAIL!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 10:23   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

I'm with Celestialsailor. Life goes by too quickly when you're only looking at it in the rearview mirror. So go sailing now. Walk the docks. Start lessons. Read the million other recommendations posted by others on similar questions about how to get started. And don't rely on crew postings. This is the sort of thing that usually won't drop in your lap.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 11:04   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome back!

Time to get back up on that horse and put your boat in the water.

I've been very lucky to find good friends on this forum who have invited me to sail with them. It is very hard to really be compliant and compatible as crew with a newfound skipper. Sometimes there will be some little flaw in your performance or in the skipper that will get in the way of a perfect cruise. I've been lucky to find the best skippers.

Don't put it off any longer. I've done a lot of sailing in 45 years but I've always wanted to go to (you fill in the blank) but never got there.

Good luck in whatever you do but don't put off what you really want.