Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2010, 11:50   #1

Aspiring Newbee...

Greetings everyone! I have been reading this and other live aboard forums for some time now. I have finally come to the realization that I am ready for a more enjoyable and adventurous lifestyle. At the moment, I am simply browsing the different boat types/models that would seem to be ideal for live aboard and cruising the seas to different islands and locations. Thus far, I have been looking at Trawlers and Bluewater vessels. Would anyone happen to have any other suggestions? From reading the forums, I am seeing that 36' to 42' seem to be ideal for my endeavors. I have come across quite a few used vessels with the above dimensions that seem to be very affordable and in great condition. Though this dream will begin to come to fruition within the next year or so, I figured I should begin to learn as much as possible about this wonderful lifestyle. I have recently purchased study materials to try and obtain my FCC license and have enrolled in a boating course provided by our local USPS group.

A bit about me:
At the present time, I am single, 40 and really don't anticipate on having a significant other in my life any time soon. I was recently laid off from my position of 12.5 years in the IT and telecommunications arenas in the Dallas area, but am really enjoying the time off. I was able to pay cash for my current residence and am renting my prior one. My debt is very minimal and both vehicles are paid off. My daughter will be 18 next year and on her way to college. Even though I still have some cash reserves to cover me for a while, I will be looking at ways to produce some passive income to keep me going and to keep me island hopping.

I am looking forward to reading this forum inside and out and possibly meeting many of you on the waters in the future. Happy and Safe Sailing!!
ready4theworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 12:26   #2

Boat: Cal 34
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Good luck
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 06:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hello and welcome to the CF...
The 'Oldtimers' used to say that for Ocean sailing 36ft was the ideal size... as your solo.. so to speak this will be more than adequate for you.. small enough to single hand easily and deal with the sea's yet big enough for you to have others on board should you wish.
The type will be down to you.. what you've read/heard and personal preferences.. canoe stern, full keel, fin and skeg, pilot house etc..
Enjoy the hunt and then revel in the sail....
Boa Fortuna...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 14:18   #4

Thanks for the responses. I'm really looking forward to the new lifestyle.
Old 31-05-2010, 09:22   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi,
Sounds like you've already decided a power boat will suit you better than a sail boat but if this is your first step into sailing it just might be worth trying out a sailing yacht - especially if you do eventually wish to cruise further afield.
Whatever you go with - good luck - and enjoy - and welcome!
Sail safe
JOHN
Old 31-05-2010, 09:27   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum and good luck finding your perfect boat.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 19:20   #7

A sailing yacht, huh? I've never thought about those. I'm going to have to assume that they are a bit more fuel efficient when taking longer journeys, huh? I'll check those out also. Then again, would those be okay for making the Great Loop?
Old 22-06-2010, 14:03   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
The simple answer is yes. There is a thread here on the forum that talks about the Great Loop. Type in Great Loop at the search link after my signature. There are a few links and a book recommendation after my signature that might start you in the direction of a sailing vessel. I think most our membership here on the forum is sail but we all like powered vessels too because once we start our auxiliary engine we become powerboats by rule.
Good to have you here.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:19   #9

Thanks, SkiprJohn. I'll check that info out.