Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:27   #1

Aspiring Liveaboards

Hello. We're a couple aspiring to liveaboards. We've both been lurking and reading and trying to cram as much knowledge and wisdom in our heads for some time, but thought that we should finally become a bit more active, and maybe start asking some of the questions we still have swirling in our heads - I'm sure you guys have some interesting opinions.

We're both pretty green; my matey knows how to sail, I've been on a little sailing trip and took a weekend course, but that's it. There's a lot to learn, but we're eager for it.

We're looking at buying a boat and cruising, starting real gentle and slow, learn everything we need to know on the way, but most important of all start doing it. We want to travel, live aboard, and continue working towards our other dreams (I want to write the novels that's in my head, paint and photograph, my other half is planning to start a fourthsector IT company).

Regards, S & T
Bronner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Well....
Its seems like you've already solved what most on here are trying to solve... making a living on a boat while cruising...
The sailing bits a doddle in comparison... Go for it .. your halfway there before you've started..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'
Welcome aboard.
My family is starting out on the same track (accept there are three of us now) it is an adventure.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:47   #4

Boat: Boatless
Well done on your decision, my wife and I never want to return to living on land again. In any cruisers anchorage you will find people who started with limited experience and now are thousands of miles from home.

I met one couple who have never had a sailing lesson and are almost finished with their second circumnavigation!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:48   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
definitely is an adventure--i lived aboard since 1990...different boats-- before buying, try to sail as many different kinds of boats as possible to get to know what you like and what not.. look hard and long and be happy with your choices--have fun and welcome!!
i am planning on beginning my adventures for real this december.......southward....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 13:30   #6

boatman61: Well, making a living of that has kinda been our respective dreams since a long time a go. I guess the main thing is that we have other stuff we want to do as well, not just the cruising part (:

Ben M-P: That seems great. After having read about "boat kids" I've been real envious. It will probably be great memories for your child.

s/v Moondancer: Thanks. We've read a lot of encouraging words here in general. You always start somewhere, so..

zeehag: We've been looking, and picking out some models we've found great. And in surprisingly little time, we've gone through a number of "phases". I think our taste has changed quite a bit, after a while.
Bronner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:13   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronner View Post
boatman61: Well, making a living of that has kinda been our respective dreams since a long time a go. I guess the main thing is that we have other stuff we want to do as well, not just the cruising part (:

Ben M-P: That seems great. After having read about "boat kids" I've been real envious. It will probably be great memories for your child.

s/v Moondancer: Thanks. We've read a lot of encouraging words here in general. You always start somewhere, so..

zeehag: We've been looking, and picking out some models we've found great. And in surprisingly little time, we've gone through a number of "phases". I think our taste has changed quite a bit, after a while.

lol is why i suggested as i did-- i have gone through a variety of boats and sailed many i found i didnt like before choosing a sloop and a ketch..lol.. sloop is for sale and ketch is or cruising for me... everyone has differing tastes in boats and is a good thing to find right one... good luck--ye will do fine.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 13:52   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I think its best to take small steps toward cruising and getting the feel for liveaboard conditions.
Good luck in whatever you chose to do.
kind regards,