Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2010, 14:01   #1

Are Liveaboard Rentals Available in San Diego ?

I was licensed as a Charter Boat Captain from 1995 - 2002 and from time to time operated a 42' Harris Sport Fish single screw with my father and brother out of Crandon Park Marina in Key Biscayne, FL. They were the true fishermen, I was an Information Technology Recruiter working on Brickell Ave in Downtown Miami who enjoyed getting out on the boat every chance I got.

My father sold the boat in 2000 and in 2001 he had his eye on a 50' cement resin hull sport fish in Honolulu. He didn't have to twist my arm.

Looking back on those memories, they were the best times of my life. Now at 43 and with a daughter who is 7 that spends every other weekend with me, I would like to experience that life style again.

I would like to rent, liveaboard and maintain a boat for someone in San Diego County this spring and summer, maybe even longer depending on their situation.
SummerRenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 14:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I would like to rent, live aboard and maintain a boat for someone in San Diego County this spring and summer, maybe even longer depending on their situation.
While not impossible I think such situations might be on the very rare side of the scale. Boat sitting is not uncommon with larger boats that have many systems to maintain and or work that is more than just ordinary. Word of mouth with qualified references would seem to be the main requirement. Having experience of course is a requirement and your may be enough. Having experience with the prospective owners best friend would be better.

In any case I doubt any owner would just let you take the boat out on your own.

This would 't be a rent situation it would be mostly getting a lot of work for cheap. You could expect the smallest accommodations and have to deal with the owner wanting to use the boat some times as well. For the most part you won't find most in the way of rental live aboard boats. Most marina contracts wouldn't cover that ability and most slip fees are not that cheap. You are looking in some of the more expensive slip fee areas.

You really will need to walk a lot of docks and make Friends easily to pull something like this off in San Diego. It's not something you will see in the want ads or on a bulletin board. I've never seen a request here and I've been here a very long time. It does happen and I've known a few that did it but how they got there is worth buying some beers to just hear the story.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 11:46   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard
Good to have you here and I hope you've found the right boat. There are several San Diegans who post here from time to time.
regards,
Old 30-03-2010, 12:53   #4

I'll post this; it might help a little bit:

Rebel Heart - The boat and her crew - Eric's Blog - How the liveaboard thing really*works
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 14:16   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
Wilmington,Ca.

30 Foot Sailboat for rent
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 15:28   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
SummerRenter:

If any cash changes hands then the owners boat insurance policy is void, unlike house insurance. I doubt if you will find anyone who will be interested in what you propose.

Maybe you can find someone who wants a boat project done and you have the skills to do it. You can trade living aboard for the project completion. That's the only way I see to do what you want.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 12:49   #7

Always possibilities

Hi there,

I read your post with interest and wondered what kind of deal you were looking for and for how long? I may have a boat in San Diego which would suit?

Post or private message me and we can discuss it.

James
MattDamon2927 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, liveaboard, living aboard, rent to own, san diego