Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2009, 15:06   #1

Any pirates on here?

Hello to everyone on this fine piece of communication. My name is Aaron. I live in Oklahoma and am green to all things sailing. Looking forward to conversing with all of you and learning as much as I can. I am hoping to sail as much as I can for the next 5-10 years and then quit my boring job and basically live on a boat for most of the year while I travel around and pretend I'm Columbus. I live about an hour west of Oklahoma City and both of my brothers live in OKC. I'm 29 years old. If anybody around here sails and would like help with any work on their boat or wants to teach me or show me anything about sailing I'm game. I'm hoping to learn enough this year to purchase a small boat and make the trip from the Gulf to Florida before 2010 hits. So I have much to learn and a lot of work to do. Preemptive thanks to all here who grace me with wisdom or knowledge.
superA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 16:43   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Welcome.

Most of it is already written. You just have to read it. I have been hard at it for years. Boy is it a lot!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 17:02   #3

Man you ain't kidding! I love taking on projects like this. This year is going to be something else. So where all have you been? Do you live on your boat?
Old 14-01-2009, 17:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm hoping to learn enough this year to purchase a small boat and make the trip from the Gulf to Florida before 2010 hits. So I have much to learn and a lot of work to do.
We don't have all the answers but if you have questions the things you can't find already here we can try and come up with.

The real hard part is figuring out all the things you don't know. They tend to mount up quickly when you start. It's OK so expect it.

Welcome and we have some OK sailors here already. You ain't the first!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 17:58   #5

Thanks PBLAIS I appreciate it. Yeah, about the only thing I know for sure is that they float and I want one!
Old 14-01-2009, 19:38   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Floating is good, sinking is not good. Not bad for a first lesson. If you keep the pointy end going forward you can go places and actually get there. After that it's just all details. They serve drinks at sunset too! Lots of fun. It's easy to see why it's so attractive.

It's mostly about showing up and it really is all supposed to be fun. That's the best I know for sure.
Old 14-01-2009, 19:47   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Welcome to the Cruising Forum. Even if we don't know the answers, will tell you some anyways...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 19:56   #8

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Hi Aaron, we are glad to have you, i'm 16 and I got AmericanSailingAssociation BasicKeelBoat certified last saturday, it allows me to charter anything around 20' anywhere, first day of cert. class I was skipper of a Cal27 up to gainsville and back to the dock (about 20mi.) in 2-3' of chop with 15-25knot winds, I have previous expirence sailing and have found that the easiest way to learn is to do, but like everyone else said if you have any questions just ask.
Old 14-01-2009, 20:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Floating is good, sinking is not good. Not bad for a first lesson. If you keep the pointy end going forward you can go places and actually get there. After that it's just all details. They serve drinks at sunset too! Lots of fun. It's easy to see why it's so attractive.

It's mostly about showing up and it really is all supposed to be fun. That's the best I know for sure.

Show up, pointy end first, don't sink and drink beer. Sounds like my kind of day!
Old 14-01-2009, 20:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Welcome to the Cruising Forum. Even if we don't know the answers, will tell you some anyways...

That's just fine. Sometimes bad info is better than none. At least it's something to do.
Old 14-01-2009, 20:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
Hi Aaron, we are glad to have you, i'm 16 and I got AmericanSailingAssociation BasicKeelBoat certified last saturday, it allows me to charter anything around 20' anywhere, first day of cert. class I was skipper of a Cal27 up to gainsville and back to the dock (about 20mi.) in 2-3' of chop with 15-25knot winds, I have previous expirence sailing and have found that the easiest way to learn is to do, but like everyone else said if you have any questions just ask.

Right on! Congratulations on getting certified. 16 huh, enjoy it man.
Old 14-01-2009, 20:52   #12

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Welcome aboard there buddy. Seem to be a lot of Okies round here lately... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Have fun

Cheers

Bill
Old 14-01-2009, 21:04   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
i'm 16 and I got AmericanSailingAssociation BasicKeelBoat certified last saturday
Whoa, way to go. 2' to 3' chop with a breeze sounds great to me. 15 -25 is when it starts to get going.

Things start some place and you work from there. Experience brings new questions. The answers are usually easier than the questions from what I have found. Think about what the right question is.
Old 15-01-2009, 05:43   #14

Thanks for the welcome BadFish. Okies can be a strange bunch, but a good bunch. My parents both grew up in CA and my brothers and I visited the West coast many times growing up, East coast a couple. Probably where my love of the ocean stems from. My dad said that when I was about three years old I would just stand in it where the tide was still low and just scream cause I loved it so much. I still scream and holler when I visit the ocean, guess I never grew up!

Bet you guys are riding high of the Steelers eh.
Old 15-01-2009, 07:34   #15

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Quote:
Bet you guys are riding high of the Steelers eh.
Ya right on, going for #6. Sundays are big around here, and not cause we're a religious bunch, ya know?

Hopefully there's a trip to Tampa in our near future... Let's say around Feb 1st.

Cheers

Bill