Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 11:20   #1

Another First Post Introduction

Great forum,,, I have been lurking for a very long time and truly enjoy reading all your posts.

The majority of my boating experience has been with sportfishing power boats in the 25-35ft range… Blackin, Tiara, Regulator, etc…I have several friends with larger power yachts (50ft plus) and I do my best to get behind the wheel when permitted – I am very comfortable docking and maneuvering the larger boats….

As for sailing, growing up I spent my summers on a lake and sailed smaller boats regularly – and haven’t done much sailing since then.…. Recently I spent time on a 34 Catalina and was single handling her by the end of the day… I had forgotten how much I really enjoy sailing… So much in fact that I am now rethinking my plans to purchase a trawler in a few years when the kids are in college……

With that in mind, I had a few questions and would greatly appreciate your advice;
  • What is the best way to gain some Bluewater experience without breaking the bank.
  • How old it too old when it comes to sailboats – I have my eye on a few that are well over 15 years old
  • What would be an optimum size for a couple to live aboard – with room for guests… 50ft? – I am admittedly a bit spoiled and like toys and creature comforts…
  • What would be your ideal boat for cruising the East coast, Bahamas and Caribbean for a few years. Budget of $600,000 and another $100,000 +/-annual income for living and maintenance expenses…
  • Short list – Center cockpit - Hylas, Tayana, Oyster, Moody
I have always been a firm believer in buying the best quality you can afford – I would prefer an “older” vessel in Bristol condition to a newer production model with lesser design and craftsmanship… I recently looked at a 1993 68 Oyster (I know too big) but it was in fantastic shape and looked almost as new….

Anyway, sorry for the long winded first post and thank you in advance for your responses…..

NNN…..
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

• What would be an optimum size for a couple to live aboard – with room for guests… 50ft? – I am admittedly a bit spoiled and like toys and creature comforts…
  • What would be your ideal boat for cruising the East coast, Bahamas and Caribbean for a few years. Budget of $600,000 and another $100,000 +/-annual income for living and maintenance expenses…
Welcome.

Keep reading and you will find many answers to your questions. So many in fact that you will be confused for a long while.

One word though - CATAMARAN
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Welcome.

Keep reading and you will find many answers to your questions. So many in fact that you will be confused for a long while.

One word though - CATAMARAN
I am working on my "search" skills now

While a CAT is probably the best answer - I have an old school eye and much prefer something with classic mono hull lines...

Thanks

NNN
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 16:43   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
I have an old school eye and much prefer something with classic mono hull lines...

No problem.
You have plenty to fund it anyway you do it.

Best of luck.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 20:14   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Triplenet,

Welcome aboard! The boats you are mentioning are way too big for me so will leave you with this search engine:

Cruisers & Sailing Forum

In some cases older boats are better. You just have to research which companies made the best boats in a certain year.

Kind regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 17:30   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum.
Lots of good boats out there have fun on your search. Here is a great website that compares the stats for different production boats Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2000+ boats Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 20:06   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How old it too old when it comes to sailboats – I have my eye on a few that are well over 15 years old
I have shoes older than that. Just as with shoes - it's the condition not the miles.

Quote:
What would be an optimum size for a couple to live aboard – with room for guests… 50ft?
Depends on the guests. I suppose it also depends on the couple too. Most people I've found are no different when on a boat. Guests don't care as much where they are if they are happy to be there. It never really helps to get a boat based on guests. THe bottom line is you'll never have that many to matter. You need room and displacement to carry all the stuff you bring. After that it's just too much boat. They need a lot of work.

Quote:
What would be your ideal boat for cruising the East coast, Bahamas and Caribbean for a few years.
I'm thinking you could be happy with the budget you have in mind. I don't know you so it's only just a guess. I'm pretty happy in that budget. You could go other places too. I don't see that as a limitation.

Quote:
I have always been a firm believer in buying the best quality you can afford – I would prefer an “older” vessel in Bristol condition to a newer production model with lesser design and craftsmanship…
I'm more of a - more design person. Older is fine but poorly designd just does not get better with age. Older boats tend to show the difference more. Being newer has an advantage if it really is ugly. It's the first thing that comes up - "nice new boat".

Boats are clearly more about you than someone else. You need to find the ideals that define the best one for you. Too many boats!

Spend some time and look around here. There is just so many details to work out. You could find some good ideas here.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote