Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-01-2010, 06:03   #1

Boat: Wittholz 40
Another Ahoy from Toronto

Ahoy To All

I may have been here before but so long ago that I am a newbie for sure.

The discussion on why marinas hate liveaboards caught my eye as I was searching for something to do with “liveaboards”. I wanted to add my two cents worth but I think the posters have already covered it all very well.

In my bio I wrote I was a boat bum with a summer job - no, not Jimmy Buffett.
I’m a marine surveyor / cruiser / liveaboard, getting too old for crawling in bilges….

I’ll try to keep my rants short.

Old 27-01-2010, 06:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Capt. Joe (& Wendy).

I believe I’ve read a couple of your rants, and (accordingly) expect to welcome your expert & informed opinion(s), as you're moved to share them.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 21:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Kind regards,
Old 10-02-2010, 07:09   #4

Mahalo John
Old 29-09-2011, 13:35   #5

Boat: Cruisers 3650 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Will I Am
Re: Another Ahoy from Toronto

Experienced rants...the best kind....About to liveaboard for our first winter in Toronto....any suggestions?
Are there alternatives to high apm consumption agitators for the water? Which are the most energy efficient heaters (low amperage) for engine room and cabins? Do I have to winterize the engines and Generator? (both are water cooled but I heard they could be kept functional throughout the winter if properly heated.) I heard tale of a time in toronto when the power went out for fifteen hours....our generator would sure keep the lights and everything else working for us.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:28   #6

Hi Will

> "Do I have to winterize the engines and Generator? "

Oh Yes. I would. Consider it inexpensive insurance against cracked blocks should anything happen to the power when you're not on board. You could get delayed somewhere and can't make it back home to the boat, then what?

The generating plant should be laid up filled with antifreeze and seaconnections closed. This not only lubricates the water jackets but allows you to put the plant on line fast if you need it in case of a dockside power interruption. You jump down, open the seacock, run the blower and start up. (Using the non toxic kind of antifreeze is better of course regarding the environment.) Another thing to keep in mind is plastics in your cooling water system that may be damaged by antifreeze. For example; Forespar makes a nice Marelon seastrainer but unfortunately the see-through lid is not suitable to come in contact with any kind of antifreeze. I found out after fracturing two lids - crazy but true. A product meant to live in an engine-room that can not handle antifreeze

I like the oil filled radiator heaters because they are silent and can be considered relatively safe, especially in a gasoline fuel environment such as yours. Do not put anything not vapor protected in your enginebay or any bilges containing fuel or fuel burning machinery!

Be sure to have smoke detectors throughout the boat, including in the enginebay and other bilges!

Be sure to have a carbon monoxide alarm near your sleeping quarters!

Agitators: low amperage units provide low performance. Like in anything else, there is no free lunch. When the temperature really dips down and the ice is building in an unusually cold winter, the bigger higher powered (= higher amperage) units will perform better.

I have heard of a time at Bluffers Park many years ago, when the agitators could no longer keep the slips ice free and 36" chainsaws had to be brought in to free some of the boat who's topsides were caving in! Gary Jones was harbormaster then and he was telling me about it. His F36 Trojan's hull topside was concaving in.
Now, that kind of winter may not happen often but if you are going to live aboard in Ontario, you need to realize that you are embarking on something out of the ordinary and you need to be ready for anything.
Remember this; you may have a liveaboard policy, but no underwriter will insure you against ice damage!!

Having said all that, Wendy and I have lived aboard between BC, the Caribbean and Ontario since 1982. I can not think of a better way to spend one's life on this planet if you enjoy being close to nature.
Even here in Northern Ontario, I would not give it up for any place ashore....

Be safe and enjoy,
Joe
Old 03-10-2011, 19:24   #7

Boat: Cruisers 3650 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Will I Am

Thanks a bunch Joe...we just heard about the fabled sinking of numerous boats over at bluffers park a ways back....all sound advice...we just found 5 amp sealed oil heaters at Canadian Tire. the marina we're going to had a power failure four fifteen hours once a few years back...now they have a back up system in place....knowing I can still fire up the jenny in a pinch with antifreeze inti lets me breathe a little easier...I guess after use I would just put antifreeze back into it?

We are also aware of ice chpping parties that occasionally happen on the rare cold, cold nights in Toronto ports that have liveaboard communities. Our mercury dipped below 50F last night turned on the little oil heater and one small ceramic and the temperature climbed back to 69 degrees aft cabin, 70 degrees parlor and 68 degrees forwards. We'll pick up two more 5 amp oil heaters for below and one 12 amp for the parlor and galley....still alittle anxious...but excited too...thanks for the feedback!!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum

Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: