Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 23:12   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Anchors and Rum! (Back to basics)

Hello everyone, what an amazing and vibrant site this is!
25 years as a professional mariner, being totally spoiled within the high end super yacht business, has rewarded me with an undying love for the sea and the power of wind and tide.

After some circumnavigations in command, I retired from operations 5 years ago and tried counting coconuts for a few years. Luckily I found my perfect schooner and discovered the freedom to cruise unfettered by an employers agenda, or the recreational complaining of too many crew.

We are now living onboard, having just finished a major refit and plan on cruising within S.E. Asia and the western Pacific (as soon as I can unshackle the ground lines that even a few years of retirement can grow)

Now back to basics, swabbing my own deck, pinching my own pennies, repairing my own mistakes, I’m tired but happy to realize that I still have so much to learn from Forums like this and the special breed we call Cruisers.

So, in this virtual harbour of all things nautical and the camaraderie of similar creatures at anchor and rum, I look forward to getting to know you.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:38   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Palegic,
I'm sure the other site users will equally welcome your experience - enjoy.
JOHN
Old 08-10-2007, 07:32   #3

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
"Yet another joins the ranks of the unwashed, scurvy ridden adventurers answering to no one but the Call of the Sea"

Welcolme Palegic, I am sure you will find this forum as helpful and entertaining as I do. That is a beautiful boat but a small picture. What is your new home?

Will

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:48   #4

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Welcome and will be looking forward to your inputs from the "other side".

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
"Yet another joins the ranks of the unwashed, scurvy ridden adventurers answering to no one but the Call of the Sea"

Welcome Palegic, I am sure you will find this forum as helpful and entertaining as I do. That is a beautiful boat but a small picture. What is your new home?

Will
With the amount of Pussers Rum/ Coke and Lime typically consumed in a week on any sailing vessel I have been on in the past 25 years... I personally don't think Scurvy would ever be a problem!!!! Not sure about the unwashed!!! Personally I live for the opportunity of a Sun Shower on the deck.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:20   #5

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I also am interested in hearing about your boat, and your current location and plans. Oh and when ashore, don't ring the bell in the officer's wardroom.

Cheers.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:57   #6
CF Adviser

Thanks for the kind words!

I’ll try and insert a better picture here to see if it works. “Stargazer” is a 65ft Dutch built Van Hellerman design, built of Corten Steel in 1982, originally for a German ship owner. She is structurally very sound, engineered robustly but with simple systems and bilges like new. I fell in love with the ergonomics of the boat as she is spacious and easily sailed by just one, using manual furling

Never though I’d ever buy a boat this large, but when I surveyed her dam it! I couldn’t find a reason not to!

A speedy but economical motor sailor, my interests these days are mostly comfortable coastal cruising, revisiting friends in and around SE Asia and places like Palau.

We are just finishing a paint job in Subic and adding a few personal touches as a live aboard. Quite happy to just wander as I get to know the boat and learn more about solar and wind generator systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_Sail8.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	1942  
Old 08-10-2007, 14:27   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Pelagic,
Welcome aboard!! Beautiful hug boat you have there. We have a couple of yacht club members in Palau, Rita and Richard. Great liveaboard people. You'll probably find them or they'll find you once you get there.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 18:06   #8
Marine Service Provider

Hold on, is someone suggesting we should be giving away free bottles of rum with every new anchor sold?

Anyone, give me an excuse to take that idea to management.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 18:39   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Again Pelagic,
Sorry. I meant to say huge not hug. Anyway it is too huge to hug.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 19:50   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Beatiful boat Pelagic. When you get over to this neck of the woods give a shout. Lot's of places to explore.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 20:35   #11
CF Adviser

Hold on, is someone suggesting we should be giving away free bottles of rum with every new anchor sold?
Anyone, give me an excuse to take that idea to management.

Great idea Craig…What better way to guarantee your “holding power” (lol)

Seriously “Anchors and Rum” was the column title I used for cruisers to tell their naughty-cal tales, when I was the volunteer editor of our Puerto Galera Yacht Club, Cruiser News magazine.

It is a tiny little club of mostly cruisers, in a beautiful setting, that has done a lot through our scholarship and boat building programs to bring dingy sailing to the local kids. Great bunch of happy guys that have engaged a supportive community and with the Rum here in the Philippines being really cheap and some of it very good…seemed like a fitting title and a nice way to say hello

Our successful little magazine is now being handled as a professional endeavour by one of our members
Check it out under publications. (Not bad for only 95 members!) www.pgyc.org/home.html

Tags
anchor