Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 20:38   #1

Anchoring

I'm attracted to saving money by anchoring out but concerned about storms.If I anchor properly can I weather most storms?

Also is it a huge concern that we get run into in fog or dark?

The final concern is pirating, are there any areas of the Caribbean that anchoring is not advisable?
Jimmy-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 20:53   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Anchoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Kim View Post
I'm attracted to saving money by anchoring out but concerned about storms.If I anchor properly can I weather most storms?
Yes if the chosen anchorage is suitably protected from the expected weather, you have good ground tackle and know how to use it correctly.
Usually most anchorages only offer protection from certain directions and therefore if the weather shifts say 180 degrees, you may have to up-anchor and move to another more protected anchorage. For some strange reason, this usually happens between 2 & 3 am

Fog - often yes; dark - shouldn't be an issue if you can navigate and understand navigation lights (both fixed and on-board).

The final concern is pirating, are there any areas of the Caribbean that anchoring is not advisable?
Sorry can't help with pirating info - have no local knowledge.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 21:03   #3

Thanks, concerning the dark, I should clarify, I'm concerned about someone running into me while I'm anchored, are there ways to minimize that risk outside of conventional lighting?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-09-2014, 21:08   #4

Also, I'm a heavy sleeper, I'm concerned about getting washed ashore while I'm asleep, do things get pretty loud before a properly anchored boat looses its anchor? Is there any kind of alarm system?

Old 01-09-2014, 21:34   #5

Boat: Hughes 25 - Tulip

All GPS units should have an anchor alarm option. Not sure if newer models have more sophisticated calculation but on my good old Garmin 78 you set it directly over the anchor and it defines a circle and sounds an alarm if you drift outside. Need to calculate the reasonable change in distance for tidal shifts. There are also iphone and android apps that do the same thing.
sammyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 21:41   #6

Thanks, generally how much wind does it take to pull a 35 ft. Boat off anchor , sandy bottom, proper anchors and technique?

Old 01-09-2014, 22:00   #7

Boat: Cal 39, Karma

Re: someone running into in the dark or fog, you can set a radar alarm at a certain distance and when the alarm goes off get up a blow your horn loud and long.
In regards to pirates, go to "noon site.com" and follow the threads. They will discuss the location, actions taking and outcomes. St. Lucia had had a recent boarding in which the woman was cut in the face with a machete and the boat was robbed.
Venezuela has had a significant increase in robberies and it is not recommended as a place to go (Markj can provide mor information on Venezuela). Also problems in Belize and a recent boarding and mugging in boca del Toro panama. According to one of my sources, there is
more to this than meets the eye...apparently conflict between the boarders and the boat owner.
You will find there is usually more to the story, apparently a deal gone bad.
You might find your sleeping habits will change when you anchor out a lot. I used to be a heavy sleeper but on anchor...not so much.
Use the search engine and you will find a lot of threads giving advice on safety strategies. Just don't mention guns or you get slammed. A lot of strong opinions on this.
Sailing filled my dreams and I hope it does the same for you

jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 23:05   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks, generally how much wind does it take to pull a 35 ft. Boat off anchor , sandy bottom, proper anchors and technique?

Read my recent thread "Anchors are a drag... Waking up on the Beach, in our boat."

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 23:35   #9

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:

That most certainly is a yes.

However you need to know and understand anchoring technique, have some experience and most certainly have adequate anchoring equipment for the conditions.

There are many anchor threads to persue and a couple of excellent threads.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html

One strident view is that all chain rode and an oversize new generation anchor are prudent. What is your vessel equipt with.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 23:37   #10

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Read my recent thread "Anchors are a drag... Waking up on the Beach, in our boat."

Ken

Good thread. Thanks Ken.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 00:28   #11
cruiser

Even excellent technique, diving on the anchor daily to check for set, having an all chain rode and an oversize new generation anchor don't guaranty positive results. Any anchor can and will drag, given the right set of circumstances. Wind change, tide shift and bottom composition.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:46   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Maybe its just me.... but I get the impression that the OP is pulling your chain...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:47   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Even excellent technique, diving on the anchor daily to check for set, having an all chain rode and an oversize new generation anchor don't guaranty positive results. Any anchor can and will drag, given the right set of circumstances. Wind change, tide shift and bottom composition.

Ken
FWIW, Ken, I second this part: " Any anchor can and will drag, given the right set of circumstances. Wind change, tide shift and bottom composition."

Good on ya.

Ann
Old 02-09-2014, 06:01   #14

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

I'm assuming that you don't have a lot of boating experience. I suggest buying a copy of Chapman Piloting & Seamanship and studying it seriously.

That's a start. Now go out and anchor your boat. Practice.

Most modern chart plotters have an anchor drag alarm feature. My Garmin 5208 has a provision for adding an external alarm so one could be mounted in the sleeping area.

Best practice will have you anchoring in areas where you're not apt to be run into, assuming you have a proper anchor light displayed.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:14   #15

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Others have suggested setting an anchor alarm on your chartplotter. For anchor alarm, I prefer an app on my smartphone over the anchor alarm on the chartplotter for a few reasons.

For one, I can set it if I leave the boat unattended and have it text another phone (ie. my wife's) in the event the boat moves outside a specified area. Second, I can sleep at night with the phone near me. Not only is it more likely to wake me up than the alarm at the chartplotter, but also I can look at the phone without getting out of bed to see if I have dragged or simply swung with a wind change; this makes it easier to use a smaller radius of alarm and thereby catch dragging sooner. Lastly, on all the chartplotters I've had, one could only set an anchoring radius; some of the apps are smart enough to set different distances as a function of compass heading.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring