Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 22:25   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: An Islander 41 and I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
HA, Buying a boat is very much like marriage. Enjoy your new relationship!
Gawd!!!...I hope not!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:19   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
Adeline , any info you may have on how many 44 lapworths were actually built? I have on , and have heard there were only about 12 built. I don't think that's actually true. . From what I can gather , it seems that yachtcraft bought the molds and built many of them. Mine is a 1974. It's titled as an islander 44 , but I found blueprints on the boat that are all yachtcraft drawings. I read another article posted on the Internet , where somebody with an islander 44 actually contacted bill lapworth , and he said islander flat out stole his sketches , and the design is not his.
The only info I have is what I gleaned from SailboatData.com and Yachtworld.com ads. Sailboatdata doesn't even have the hull count of 12, it just says a few were built before Yachtcrafters got the molds.

Where did you get the 1`2 count, I would like to pass that on to Sailboat data.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:10   #18

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Sheesh , I don't remember where I saw the 12 count. But I'm pretty sure there are a lot more out there Mine was a kit boat finished by the PO. He bought it in 1974 and put it in the water in 1976. One owner boat. Did a great job building it. 81 years old when he let her go.
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 15:42   #19

Yup, the "marriage" analogy made me a cramp too. Hopefully things go better for me with the boat then it did with the X.

I am no expert, but as far as I know this I41 was an Alan Gurney design. She was hull #3 of very few ever made. Islander history seems to be loaded with mystery and there are a lot if opinions in conflict with each other. I can tell you she sails very well doesn't need much to hit 7.5 knots. Even with her shorter cruising stick.
MacAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 17:27   #20

The difference between I44 and 41 is hard to distinguish. Stern extends an extra 3' and that's about it. Unless I am missing something.
Old 10-11-2011, 20:28   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The notes for the 44 indicate the 41 was a 44 with the stern truncated. I'm not sure there weren't some cabin mods, but apparently the hulls were pretty much the same.

ISLANDER 41
ISLANDER 44
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 13:49   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Congratulations on your boat choice. I don't think your avatar is appropriate for a new Islander 41 boat owner. Should be just the opposite.
Hope you can pull it out.
kind regards,
Old 18-11-2011, 20:38   #23

Beautiful day, though the wind failed us. In Catalina enjoying island life. I love this boat!!! Winds from the south for some odd reason. We will be heading into it all the way to SD tomorrow. Strange days indeed.
Old 20-11-2011, 09:01   #24

You're right, John. My Avatar has been adjusted accordingly, now that I have cool pics of On A Whim in action.

Oceanside harbor was a nice place to put in for the night. On my final leg to San Diego after coffee.
Old 20-11-2011, 09:36   #25

Boat: 1974 islander 44
How do you like the boat so far ? Love mine
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 12:56   #26

The 3/4 keel is really an asset, she is heavy and steady in weather, hit 8.9 kts true with current at our back and steadily averaging over 7. She feels good, is laid out well for sailing and below deck is great too. Although, I don't think my Lectrasan is working, overall I'm finding her to be quite awesome.

The wood burning stove is too much!