Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2011, 14:27   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
PDQ 34 Power Catamaran?

Why not a power catamaran like the PDQ 34?

There is a Forum here. They may not give the most unbiased answers, but they should know the boat well.

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 14:50   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Too Old ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsteelrose View Post
Hi All,
I am in the process of deciding whether to embark on cruising adventure in a catamaran. I am a 60 yr. old woman who has arthritis and has limited strength in my arms and shoulders. How hard is it to pull lines and raise and lower sails?

I want to sail from florida into the Caribbean for lengthily explorations of beaches, shells and pirate treasure, lol. I don't know much about the various brands of catamarans but am doing my best to research this. The Ft. Lauderdale boat show is coming up in Oct. and I plan to attend that so I am sure that will help me.

Can you please advise on the largest cat I could handle by myself? I want a reliable, easy rider that has a low center of gravity as I am prove to sea sickness. So far, the top brands that I have learned about that might fit my demands are the Leopard, Maine Cat and Gemini.

Ohh, and one other thing. I have an Australia Shepherd and wonder where he will go to the toilet while on board. Do I train him to use those blue pads and then dispose of them much like one would with a diaper?

Thank you for any suggestions.
Paula
Now this is one of those rare times when I say....
" Yer having a Laugh......"

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 15:06   #18

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Am I Too Old ?

Hello. I hear you say catamaran Paula, and worry for you. With physical difficulties already, you might consider joining the dark side, i.e. a power boat. Yes, I have engine issues (sailboats do too) but for me, I simply do not have the strength nor stamina I had 30 years ago.

UNLESS you want the compounded problem of having to pick up crew whenever you wish to move your boat (bad!!!) then it's my belief that whatever boat you chose should be something you can handle alone. Relying on others isn't a good thing and no matter how cheerily folks might be willing to help you...

So, though you might wish for the stability of a cat, perhaps the living space and comforts of home may best be found aboard a smaller power boat. Mother used to say "The ideal boat sleeps two, feeds four and parties six."

P.S. - Smaller means less time spent cleaning and scrubbing and more time for reading (even if it is a manual on how to fix something that's broken)

P.S.S. - Australian Shepherds are brilliant dogs -- very bright, and I would not worry about training her until you're aboard. My girl adapted quickly (less than one week) to the puppy pads; the one problem I had was initially she treated the dinghy as "outside" (if you get my drift) so I started putting her on the swim platform until she performed. Now she asks to go out to use it -- indeed there are weeks when we don't find the need to come ashore at all. And yes, she wears her life jacket when on the platform (she's fallen in enough times that I keep her puppy shampoo tucked into a locker by my sink!) Believe me when I say she's not her most attractive wet.

Good luck with your decision, but definitely THINK SMALL.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 10:01   #19

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Am I too old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there is a tea made in mexico from elephant trees that is awesome good and really works against arthritis....copol, i believe is the name.. but is from elephant tree, and really works. friend of mine used it and is recovered, worked for me for 4 1/2 months...
his form was traumatic, mine is secondary to reynauds disease..
Great Zee, thanks for this I have never heard of it in 22 years living in Mexico.

iamsteelrose: No you are not too old I give you an few+ years and I am about to start again, and it will make you feel much much younger day after day.

Go for it!
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 10:37   #20

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I think of this when people talk about being too old for something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	late.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	31749  
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 10:58   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
I think of this when people talk about being too old for something.
Thats rich..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:08   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Why a Catamaran??? The quality built ones are damned expensive and very costly to berth if you are stuck in a marina. With the windage and stability, they can require way more physical strength to anchor and sail. I know!!! Cats don't heal much and they are supposedly fast but that doesn't make up for dollars required to purchase. Also, the smaller cats are severely effected by the weight of the detritus that a cruising boat picks up. You have to be anal about weight on a smaller multihull and just an a**hole about it on larger ones.
Here we go again.

Mono v. Cat is one of the classic fights on Cruisers Forum. I'm a mono guy myself, but I have to disagree with Roverhi. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with a cat, if that's the way your taste runs. It is really purely a matter of taste. Cats are NOT more expensive than monos, IF you compare them properly. They are actually not faster, either. That is because you can't compare them by length. A 40' -- 42' cat is more or less equivalent to a 50' mono in cost, interior volume, and speed. So really it is just a question of how you prefer your boat to be laid out, and what your preferences are concerning boat motion and heeling.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 13:01   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Here we go again.

Mono v. Cat is one of the classic fights on Cruisers Forum. I'm a mono guy myself, but I have to disagree with Roverhi. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with a cat, if that's the way your taste runs. It is really purely a matter of taste. Cats are NOT more expensive than monos, IF you compare them properly. They are actually not faster, either. That is because you can't compare them by length. A 40' -- 42' cat is more or less equivalent to a 50' mono in cost, interior volume, and speed. So really it is just a question of how you prefer your boat to be laid out, and what your preferences are concerning boat motion and heeling.
A moderators job well done..they are both sailboats after all...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 14:40   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome!
I don't think 60 is too old. The shame would be if you reach 65 and haven't done it yet and say, "I think I should have started sailing 5 years ago."
kind regards,
Old 18-09-2011, 14:51   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Sailing to the Caribbean may be a challeng for you. Why not buy a boat already there, and take the easy way out? After that it's just day hopping, and drinking drinks that have an umbrella while watching sunsets..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 15:04   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Too Old ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Sailing to the Caribbean may be a challeng for you. Why not buy a boat already there, and take the easy way out? After that it's just day hopping, and drinking drinks that have an umbrella while watching sunsets..........i2f
Definitely the way to go... done it twice... great fun.
Heres a link to get you started... www.allatsea.com
Have a ball..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 15:58   #27

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

The folks who have already spoken have actual experience, whereas I do not (yet!), but as they have addressed your concerns about your physical ability, I have this to add:

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." - Chinese Proverb

nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 16:04   #28

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosinglesource View Post
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." - Chinese Proverb

I like that one.
Old 18-09-2011, 16:26   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Hi Paula,
Welcome.
I do not feel you are ever too old. Maybe health issues can cause some compromises. At 73 I feel much more fit than some folks half my age, but I do have some problems.

Single handing any boat is difficult, a big catamaran even more so. Assess your experience and knowledge of the many things a sailor must know.
Routine maintenence - there are no mechanics at sea.
Navigation - sounds easy with GPS, etc. but there is more to it than that.
Watch standing - there are many overnighters in the Caribbean.
I have been sailing over 50 years, USCG licenses, crossed the Atlantic, 18 years living aboard, 9 years full time cruising, etc.

I would not consider cruising the Caribbean alone! The dog will be a comfort and good security, but can he stand a watch? I, personally consider single hand sailors to be a HAZARD at sea.

I suggest you charter some catamarans, then try some real boats. I am not totally biased about cats, I have had several beach cats and loved them. I have been invited to sail with my 78 year old friend on his 37' cat.
Who knows I may like it?

Finally, I would never consider going to sea without my best friend, my wife of 30 years. All of things you have mentioned are much better when shared with a significant other. If you wish, you may speak to my wife. She will convince you to go cruising. e mail bobbie@bshmarine.com

Tom
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 17:04   #30

Re: Am I too old?

Not yet but I plan on taking lessons.
iamsteelrose is offline   Reply With Quote