Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 03:45   #1

Already Retired

Hello. I've been sailing in my younger years on small craft (and building a few smaller wooden boats) in the atlantic and then moved to iowa where i thought i was landlocked. about 5 years ago i visited hawaii and went surfing again among other things. within a year i was building my own coastal sailboat. this is my fourth year building and i'm almost finished. i went to lake michigan and took sailing lessons to see if i remember things; and i did. aced it. guess one never forgets. anyway i can't work in winter cause of heating issues and epoxy setup. so i am waiting for spring. i have a fabricator working on my aluminum parts this winter and hopefully they will be finished sometime this summer. the main hull is so beautiful. !! its a Farrier 22 only 22 feet long, trimaran. have the mast and sails. the only thing i didn't build were the ama or connections between the main hull and the floats. the rest is from scratch. fiberglass foam and epoxy. i will never do this again. but i have learned about this type of construction for sure. and it was worth it for me every step of the way. i tend to enjoy building more than using.

but in this case i have developed a goal. in my research i have come across the Coral Restoration Foundation. last year i got my open water certificate and am ready to help plant coral. actually i am in the process of building a remote robot to do that as diving seems to be rather taxing on the body and somewhat dangerous. openrov has a robot cheaper than what most diving rigs cost but i have to develop arms for it. so 3d printing will probably be involved. but the first trip i will dive and learn.

i plan to use the great american waterway and inland waterway via the tom bigbee river system to access florida keys. that is where CRF is; key largo.

my boat is not made for sailing across an ocean. but some have. my model has made the run to hawaii from california. i don't know if i will ever try that. probably not. perhaps i will find a larger deserted hull of which there are a lot on the east coast because of the depression of recent, i hear. or at least that was making the news last year. anyway i should be able to find a deal and refit it if i get the inclination to visit hawaii again, which i do regularly.

i've only been retired for 6 months. but it is a working retirement so far. i could ply my trade onboard as i am a graphic artist. my main client is in miami! goodness sake. its been a wonderful journey so far and the research is vibrant. beware of gross statements of "you can't do that" kind or massive assumptions based on experience. while you should heed that sort of advice, in the end you have to work with what you have. you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes; you get what you need.
Saewytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 04:11   #2

Re: Already Retired

Welcome to the forum and please keep us updated on your interesting adventures.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 04:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Already Retired

Hiya Saewytch... Welcome to CF..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 04:42   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

'mornin Saewytch, and welcome from 32N 64W
Old 19-01-2013, 04:44   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Saewytch.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 05:15   #6

Boat: Catalina 380

Now this is a pretty good first post! Please keep us informed (and share pictures!). Welcome.
justflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and congratulations on the near completion of your boat work.
kind regards,