Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2010, 19:13   #1

Aloha to All My Fellow Bluewater Sailors

I'm really glad to have found this forum site! have perused a lot of the posts, and you all have some really great support.
I have a 1971 Morgan 33 that I dearly love, I enjoy doing as much of the work on her myself ( good thing too - saves a ton of $$$.
I recently pulled my engine for rebuild - an Atomic 4, and while I have that great big open space I thought I'd redo the shaft packing, while in the process of cleaning up and getting ready; I noticed that the hose holding the stuffing tube to the shaft log looks kinda tired. I bought the boat back in 1992 and have redone the shaft packing once before. Now I would like to replace the hose securing the stuffing box but; being I'm doing this in the water, i'm not too sure how much the water intrusion would increase; if at all. When I redo the stuffing box I dive on the shaft, clean the shaft and area around the cutless bearing and pack plumbers putty around it followed with "Rig Wrap" tape to hold it all nice and tight to the shaft and cutless bearing.I also (paranoid little sailor that I am), put a line around the prop and secure it to a foreward cleat in the cockpit " just in case" it decides to slide out ( a MAJOR "OOPSIE")
With those preperations I have only a VERY minor trickle of water when I open up the stuffing tube.
My question is - could I reasonably expect the same "minor water intrusion" OR -by removing the stuffing box do I through a imbalance on the shaft and create a " darn -wish I hadn't done that!" moment.
Would really appreciate any and all thoughts on this project.
Mahalo (Thanks) to all
KailuaSailorBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 04:22   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Aloha, and welcome to Cruisers Forum.

I've never tried the in-water stuffing box maintenance, but with the precautions you describe, I doubt you'd be in danger of sinking as you change out the hose.

My wife and I spent July in Kailua, visiting our daughter. It's a very beautiful spot! Do you keep your boat in Kaneohe Bay?
Old 27-12-2010, 04:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, KailuaSailorBoy.

It seems to me that your method should work just fine; but I haven’t done exactly that.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 10:40   #4

Welcome aboard KailuaSailorBoy. Good luck and I press the thumbs for your project.
And regarding you query, honestly spoken, I have got no idea. We have had an engine crew or went to a ship yard with those problems. Our "boat" was a bit larger (170m bulker).
Old 27-12-2010, 10:49   #5

Mahalo Hud3- Appreciate the comeback. As to Keeping the boat in Kaneohe Bay - thats a big Roger, she is happily living at the Kaneohe Marine Base Marina which I think is an ideal port except in Kona storms when we tend to get 3-4 foot waves IN the slip area!
Old 02-01-2011, 13:06   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Your procedure should work just fine. Just make certain your batteries are up and your bilge pump is in good working order.
Thanks for your service (assumed since you have your boat at the base).
I was there looking at a boat last year. Nice dive shop but rather expensive. You have a beautiful area to keep your boat. The grass is definitely not greener over here on the Big Island.
kind regards,
Old 06-01-2011, 11:25   #7

The boat I looked at was a Rhodes Chesapeake with a blue hull.
Have you tried your repair? Is that why you haven't posted the last week? You're sunk?
kind regards,
Old 07-01-2011, 12:52   #8

Gurgle,Gurgle,Blub: Just kidding -Have been very busy trying for a job with the Honolulu Mayors office, ALSO working on the boat.Sorry! Yep, it worked just fine -never underestimate the power of overkill! After tying off the shaft, packing the entry point to the shaft log, wrapping that with Rig Wrap tape (and then wrapping THAt with #12 solid wire in case the tape started loosening!) I CAREFULLY undid the shaftlog hose and found ZERO water intrusion! the only time it would seep was during the time I was messing with the shaft cleaning and polishing the verdigris off of it (minor amount) I was so confident that I even left the boat to clean and polish up the stuffing box! ( Well, OK - So I packed the interior side of the shaft log,around the shaft with plumbers putty, held THAT inplace with a piece of pipe over the shaft, and held THAT in place by remounting the engine coupling ( can't accuse ME of doing things Half Vast! Any hoo- the trickey part now will be putting the engine back in. The bed is sitting at 15 degrees aft slant and the motor lift point leaves me with about 20 degrees FORWARD tilt. Trying to put it back in by myself is a) darn hard! and b) I bent a forward mounting bolt tryiing to allign with the other bolts. Had a thought of mounting a 1/2 " pipe on the aft end of the engine with sufficent barbell weights to get the proper alignment. I MAY have to resort to (ugh) HIRING someone to assist! will keep my fingers crossed.
Old 07-01-2011, 14:35   #9

That's great to hear. Wish I was a little closer, I'd come and help you get that engine in there. I think the pipe and weights are a pretty good idea to help balance. I was able to get my Mercedes diesel done by myself but didn't have too much in the way in the engine room.
The boat is still sitting in my yard while I do house and car projects.
How's the new Mayor? I hope you folks get the train and wish the ferry system on the lee side would have been used more to keep it in service.
kind regards,