Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 14:14   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to ElleChasse
Aloha from Maui, Hawai'i

Aloha,
I'm a new member here to cruisersforum but I've been reading the posts in the forums for a while as I'm researching where to take my first RYA sailing course(s).
I'm not exactly a sailor yet but I hope to be.
Currently I teach kiteboarding here on Maui and go travelling when I can.
I'm looking forward to meeting people in the sailing world and broadening my knowledge and experience in that arena.
Best regards and Aloha!
Old 25-03-2012, 15:00   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Aloha from Maui, Hawai'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleChasse View Post
Aloha,
I'm a new member here to cruisersforum but I've been reading the posts in the forums for a while as I'm researching where to take my first RYA sailing course(s).
I'm not exactly a sailor yet but I hope to be.
Currently I teach kiteboarding here on Maui and go travelling when I can.
I'm looking forward to meeting people in the sailing world and broadening my knowledge and experience in that arena.
Best regards and Aloha!
Welcome aboard! Your probably a better sailor then some out there, I've seen. You already have the idea of hydro planing. Now just add a rudder.

As for courses, any port city with lots of marinas will have instructors.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kiteboard3.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	39101  
Old 25-03-2012, 17:06   #3

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

I'm not aware of any RYA courses in Hawaii or the West Coast for that matter. The only RYA schools in the US that I'm aware of are on the East Coast. Most other schools are either affiliated with ASA or US Sailing. The ASA site (Sailing Schools - Learn to Sail with American Sailing Association) claims that there are two schools in Honolulu, but I'm not familiar with either one. My best advice for someone on the islands who wants to learn to sail is to join one of the local yacht clubs, meet some members and go sailing with them. Most of the clubs offer a lower cost membership for new, younger members. Or just head down to a yacht club one Friday afternoon or Saturday morning and introduce yourself. Somebody's always looking for crew. Crewing isn't the same as learning to sail, but it's a start.

I'm also an avid kitesurfer. Moved to the mainland 5 years ago from Oahu.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 21:38   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here. If you can do a web search for US Sailing and ASA to find an instructional site I think you'll do well. I've been a US Sailing Instructor but not active in the last few years. Our programs were offered through the YMCA and our Yacht Club. Waikiki Yacht Club and Hawaii Yacht Club both on Oahu have sail training programs but it might just be for youth.
Good luck.
kind regards,
Old 25-03-2012, 23:06   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ElleChasse

Thank you very much! I'm planning to go overseas this summer to take a course. Maui doesn't offer much in the way of sailing lessons, or even of ways to gain experience. The yacht club in Lahaina advertises small dinghy lessons for children but I'll want and need more than that.
I've been looking at Allabroad in Gibraltar, or one of the many sailing schools in the UK. They offer a wide variety of courses and solid internationally recognised certifications. As much as I love Maui I'll never learn tidal sailing here!
Old 25-03-2012, 23:26   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Maybe not tidal sailing but ya can get some fine kine blue water sailng right close there LOL
Old 26-03-2012, 00:07   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome Elle...We certainly need more female sailors on the forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 00:33   #8

The best way to start and learn is in a dinghy. All the skills transfer into a bigger boat. I was looking into classes here as well as I live on Oahu, then pretty much discovered the only real options are the West Coast. Fyi unless your going to charter bare boats is there a reason for the classes? I learned 10 times the material i would have learned in an expensive class by crewing on small boats and sailing as much as possible with knowledgable old timers. I'm alway bugging every one on my dock to crew and it's worked out great. Learn a bunch each time for only the cost of a sixer.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 00:54   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
The best way to start and learn is in a dinghy. All the skills transfer into a bigger boat. I was looking into classes here as well as I live on Oahu, then pretty much discovered the only real options are the West Coast. Fyi unless your going to charter bare boats is there a reason for the classes? I learned 10 times the material i would have learned in an expensive class by crewing on small boats and sailing as much as possible with knowledgable old timers. I'm alway bugging every one on my dock to crew and it's worked out great. Learn a bunch each time for only the cost of a sixer.
Here's the first & second page.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	39126   Click image for larger version

Name:	page3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	39127  

Old 26-03-2012, 01:12   #10

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Welcome! There are many ways to learn to sail, depending on your resources and preferences. It really helps if you can find a way to get lots of time on the water to practice whatever you might learn from classes or books.

Tags
hawaii