Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-01-2015, 00:15   #1

Boat: need to find one by October
Aloha from Hawaii

I grew up sailing on the gulf with a big family of sailors--siblings, aunts, uncles, parents, cousins, friends. Moved to Hawaii and am now looking for a boat.

Compared to the Gulf of Mexico, Hawaii is a very rough place to sail. It is not easy to get a boat or a slip, and the water is also pretty rough with the trades and the reefs. It is a little intimidating.

I am thinking of getting a trimaran because of its stability. Although I grew up sailing, I was never a captain. My husband is pretty new to this and I want to make sure he also enjoys the experience and sees why I love sailing so much. Hence the desire for stability.

That being said, we aren't wealthy folks. So I thought I'd join this community to learn a little more before buying ourselves that "hole in the water" that we will lovingly throw money into for the rest of our lives!

Glad to be here

Cheers and aloha

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 29-01-2015, 04:38   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Aloha from Hawaii

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, knockout mice.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 07:24   #3
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps starting out with a small sailing dinghy would be an easy introduction for him, just a thought.
Old 29-01-2015, 15:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Hawaii is a great place to sail a Multi Hull, weren't they invented here?? I wouldn't want to learn on one though. Winds are strong and gusts nearly doubling the prevailing wind are quite common sailing coastal. Great conditions to invert a multi for someone that's not experienced and/or instantly ready to react to these gusts. Would discourage a multi for cost and slip availability issues alone, not counting the gusty wind issues. If you are looking at Hobie Cat or other small cat that is rightable, it's another story, just practice righting them before you have to.

There are nice older monohulls capable of inter island cruising turning up regularly. You'll be sailing with a heel but they are very forgiving of newby errors and very very very difficult to turn over. A Vanguard 33 with good sails, Monitor Self Steering, Diesel, solar panels, dodger, HF, VHF radios, and a lot of other goodies just sold for $4,000. Boat needs TLC after a year on a mooring but it's mostly polishing and waxing and solving an engine overheating issue.

Of course the real problem in Hawaii is finding a slip. Oahu has private as well as State Marinas. Waiting list at the Ala Wai is long but fees are cheap. Keehi Lagaoon may have some availability. Private marinas have more choices though they tend to be pricey. On the outer islands, you are pretty much stuck with State Marinas that have long waiting lists.

PM me if you need more info.
Old 31-01-2015, 18:32   #5

Thank you for the great advice! I didn't realize a multi was hard to learn in or that the Hawaiian gusts would be a problem on them.

I've flipped many a small 18' Hobie in my day as a kid sailing with my parents. Maybe we can start with a monohull and move to a multihull in a few years.

We have a buddy willing to share his slip if we find a boat soon enough. A monohull about 35' will fit. If you see anything like that in Hawaii for less than 50k, and you happen to think of it, let me know! I'm not sure how long the slip-sharing offer will last. As you said, they are hard to get.

We have been practicing on the Waikiki Yacht Club Cal 20's. Husband handles it like a champ. The only catch is that the boats have no motors and docking them can be a 40+ tack ordeal with the trades breaking through the nearby skyscrapers. Not easy for new sailors! Especially with all of the very expensive boats around to run into! But it's good practice (sailing and not crashing!)

Thanks again for the advice. I hope we make it to the next phase in our sailing adventure soon. I will keep you posted!

Old 31-01-2015, 22:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Keep an eye on craigslist using boats, sailboat, sloop, cutter as your search venues. There'll be lots of boats available in the next few months since the new insurance rules are initiated.
Getting used to Hawaiian waters is a little tricky but luckily the tradewinds blow from nearly the same direction with the same intensity nearly all year. Head out of the Ala Wai on a close hauled port tack and you'll be in the lee of Lanai in a bit more than half a day (12 hrs). Going toward Kauai you can get to Hanalei in a bit more than 24 hours.
Pick your weather and have a great time.
kind regards,
Old 31-01-2015, 23:13   #7

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Welcome to the forum. I use to live down the road from SkiprJohn on the Big Island. If you're there, they have a great sailing club where you can use their boats. Great place to get your feet wet.....Aloha.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 23:22   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, by all means if you get to Hilo look us up if you are in Kona look for Aloha Sailing.
Old 31-01-2015, 23:36   #9

Great to know. I love the Big Island and try to go as often as I can.

Thanks also for the search tips, SJ. Sloop has more hits than sailboat did--Go figure.

Old 01-02-2015, 14:47   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Here's a cheap little Trimaran for some high speed cruising around the Islands.

RECORD BREAKING F-33 TRIMARAN

On a serious note, some of the pictures with the windward ama flying give you an idea of sailing on the edge with a multi. Have a hard time justifying anywhere near the asking price for an interior that is equivalent to a 26' mono.
Old 01-02-2015, 20:14   #11

Sheeeeeesh! That is a LOT of cash! I'd say at that price, there are other boats I would buy before this puppy.

So, RoverHI, I am taking to heart what you said about the gusts and learning in Hawaii on a multihull. I *think* we would be okay with finding a multihull slip at Kewalo, but you have to have incredibly high liability insurance there. Plus, like I said, we want something that is good to learn on.

So what about something like this? We did pretty well with the Cal 20' in Waikiki, and a 33' would just have more stability and space to move around (plus a motor!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1422846852.545998.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	96401

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1585&url=

(Sorry, I haven't figured out how to make my links look pretty from my phone yet)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout_mice View Post
Great to know. I love the Big Island and try to go as often as I can.

Thanks also for the search tips, SJ. Sloop has more hits than sailboat did--Go figure.

Yes, here's a link to our Hilo club Na Hoa Holomoku of Hawaii Yacht Club just in case you come to look at the lava. Just noticed that is outdated but there are updates coming.

Whatever boat you choose to get serious about make certain you hire a mariner surveyor to really check the boat out. Listen to what they have to say and if it appears that the repairs they recommend are not within your skill set then look at more boats. You'll be very happy to find a boat in good shape that you can sail instead of fix. Sailing is a lot more fun than repairing.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:06   #13

Thanks SkiprJohn! I would love to join in on the activities. Wish we had a club like this in Honolulu.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:47   #14

Boat: Tartan T4400

Knockout mice lots of good sailor in WYC Cal 20 program. Many of them have access to larger boats. Have you tried to crew for anyone on the Friday night races. Race season is about to start so I am sure there are some skippers looking for crew. Walk the docks at WYC an Ala Wai and start up a conversation with boat owners.

Tags
hawaii

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: