Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2006, 15:14   #1

Aloha and Ahoy

I've been out of sailing for about 5-6 years but have been re-bitten by the sailing bug - hard! Used to sail around San Diego in a Clipper Marine 30, and am on the verge of buying a bigger boat here in Hawaii - I've worked my choices down to a short list - A 35 Cheoy Lee, a 33 Ranger, a 37 Hunter Cutter, a 36 Islander - and maybe a 38 Pearson on the hard in Kona (havent seen that one yet). Anyone have additional thoughts on these boats? They vary from what I would consider a "project" boat to turn-key sail away condition. As a visitor to this forum, I've found it very useful in my decision-making. And now I am a new member!

Tom
Tom E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 15:55   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Welcome aboard Tom, I'm afraid that I cannot offer any advice on any of the boats you listed. But I can say a big fat "hello" and leave it to the more knowledgable to actually post something useful!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 18:34   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Tom E

Welcome aboard.

Please check out your "Private Messages" in the upper RH part of the page.

Clipper Marine? Designed by W. Crealock. I just sold my CM23 twin keel a few months ago. They're fun and stylist boats for their times.

As for the others you mentioned, I'm not sure I would want a fixer in HI. It could be a bit expensive over there on the Islands.............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 21:32   #4

Yes, I thought my CM 30 was sleek and fun...a pleasing boat. It's still in SD bay, far as I know.

And you're right about expenses here...as we know, put "marine grade" in front of any product and it doubles in price. Now add in "Hawaii" and it goes up exponetially. Yikes.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:43   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Tom,
Welcome aboard!! What you've chosen for "new" boats is quite a step up from your CM30. If it were me I'd go for the Ranger or Islander depending on their condition of course. The Pearson would be good but I think it is too large. I've had friends with Cheoy Lees but they have had trouble with hardware failures.
If you want a put together project boat on a trailer I have a friend who has invested a lot of time and effort in his Ranger 33 but can't find the time to put it back together.
As you may already know, the hardest thing about Hawaii is finding a place to keep your boat and finding bargain hardware for it. Very few places to buy good quality stuff here in the outer islands. eBay and online shopping make things easier, then, of course, there is the shipping.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 22:06   #6

Thanks John,

I am tending toward a fairly rough Islander 36. Kinda old (1972) but I see the potential. What do you think about this boat in Hawaiian waters? I'll have to refit all the standing rigging - just for starters. One of the shroud's attaching points has ripped the bulkhead in which it had been set loose. So would have to repair that bulkhead too. The other is the Hunter 37 Cutter. Decent shape, in need only of a bottom repaint and some cosmetics. yes, a step up from the CM30, but I have been out on a Catalina 30 around Oahu and hopefully have been building skills.

I think I have the slip thing set up though, which is the main thing here. But I'm still on the list for Ala Wai ! --Tom
Old 06-10-2006, 12:24   #7

Aloha Tom,
The Islander will be good for Hawaiian waters if you can get the rigging straightened out. How's the bottom of the boat look? If it has just a couple of small blisters it should be good. '73 on there were a lot of shortcuts taken in production boats and caused some boats to blister badly (Newport for example) I think you are safe with a '72.
Where is the boat now?
Check for freshwater damage in bilges and the base of bulkheads and if it looks good most everything else can be rebuilt/repaired.
Good luck!!
Regards,
JohnL
Old 06-10-2006, 13:51   #8

The Islander is at La Mariana in Keehi Lagoon. Haven't seen the bottom yet - supposedly it was hauled last year or the year before. I noticed a lot of oil in the bilge - either a sloppy oil change or a very leaky engine (volvo Penta) The bad shroud attachment is on an interior bulkhead, terminates behind the head. The bulkhead has worked loose, veneer has splintered, etc. Unknown if it was weakened from water damage, caused by uneven force, or what....It's the bulkhead that concerns me the most. But who knows, maybe repairing it will make it better than it ever was. Might as well do the opposite side too. I'm not THAT handy and will have to hire out the work. I wont be able to look at it again for a few weeks since I am going back to ther Mainland for a while. Maybe I'll find a boat in So Cal and have it delivered....
Old 06-10-2006, 16:38   #9

Aloha Tom,
California is only a two or three week sail to Hawaii. You can do it!! I'd get an estimate from Keehi Marine for the work before I agreed to buy the Islander. Also, it is a good idea to hire a marine surveyor to really check over what you intend to buy so you don't have more surprises. I don't know if Mike Doyle is still doing business but he was one of the best.
Regards,
JohnL
Old 06-10-2006, 19:50   #10

Thanks! I am definitely going to engage the services of a marine surveyor. I'll poke see if Mike Doyle is still around.

been doing some more Islander research - apparently water damage to interior bulkheads where the shrounds pass through the deck is not uncommmon. So a repair estimate would be useful too...I mean, I'm willing to put money into refurbishing the boat, but there is a limit!
Old 06-10-2006, 21:45   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Do some serious price adjustment...

If you are buying a boat to fix up factor a very serious adjustment into the price (like one third the price of the boat in fair condition).
This way when you find out what is really wrong with the boat you have a little cushion to keep you happy.
My recent experience with oil in the bilge was that it indicated very serious engine problems. Better factor a new engine into the price as well.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 13:18   #12

Uh oh. A new engine too?...we'll see. In any case Chris, you're right - must factor in the repairs and upgrades. I saw a blue-water equipped Islander 36 on a website somewhere. Makes me wonder if this would be a good off-shore boat if appropriately kitted out. Not that this is in my immediate plans, but maybe something I'd grow into.
Old 07-10-2006, 21:27   #13

Aloha Tom,
If a boat can make it from one island to the other in the Hawaiian chain then it is certainly capable of going anywhere.
Kind Regards,
JohnL