Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2008, 07:46   #1

almost there

so here goes... my girl and i have a 40k budget to buy a boat and live aboard as long as possible (gulf/florida/carribean). i have a little sailing experience and she has none. we're relatively young (21,26) so comfort can be sacrificed for economy. i would apprecieate any critique of the plan thus far.

i've been considering the hunter, catalina, and endeavours in the 27-32 foot range from about 1977-85. they all seem to be listed around 18k (is there a reason these makers seem to be a bit cheaper?) or would it be more wise to go newer and end up with less cash on hand?

i am mechanical engineer and millwright by trade so i would like to think i can handle most repairs/maintainence. she is a certified bartender with plenty of experience... thought that might be good for extra cash from time to time.

and finally, we intend to stay at anchor most of the time rather than in a marina. i haven't been able to figure out the rules pertaining to that, like can you anchor off a beach, go ashore, and leave the boat for a few hours? (just doesn't seem like a good idea to me)

thanks for taking the time to read this and we'll see those of you that are are around florida in may
thestonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 08:48   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Welcome to the forum. Your questions have as many answers as there are posts on this site. Use the search function and you will find enough discussions to keep you reading for at least the next month. Only you and your mate can answer the question of whether you will be comfortable on one boat over another and if the size, layout, and storage capacity is suitable for YOUR needs. And there are more questions than answers before your solicitations can be intelligently discussed. What you will get are a whole bunch of opinions based on others likes and dislikes. Keep on researching, get on boats yourselves and spend a little time with folks living aboard at anchor if you can arrange it. Only then will it become clear.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 09:52   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
I only have experience with Catalinas and find them to be pretty good quality for a production boat. They would not be considered ocean passage, off shore, bluewater boats but more for coastal cruising.
If you want a bargain there is a Herreshoff 31 Cat Ketch listed on the internet in the Tampa area for $20K. If I lived in that area I'd certainly look at it. Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale
Ebay is another place to check. Ebay motors - sailboat
Good luck and have fun.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 11:30   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonefish View Post

...and finally, we intend to stay at anchor most of the time rather than in a marina. i haven't been able to figure out the rules pertaining to that, like can you anchor off a beach, go ashore, and leave the boat for a few hours? (just doesn't seem like a good idea to me)
Hello, and welcome.

I think you'll find, as we have, that anchoring out is MUCH superior to being in a marina. In a marina, you can't swim off the boat, the breeze is usually blocked, it can be noisy, and of course you pay for all those privileges! If you have good, dependable ground tackle and know how to use it, anchoring is not a problem.
Old 23-02-2008, 12:01   #5

Welcome,

In the Bahamas/Caribbean anchoring is what most cruisers do. In general you can anchor anywhere you want in this area and leaving the boat unattended is rarely a problem. There are countless attractive anchorages and there are many cruising guides available that will tell you where and answer your questions for a particular area.

For some fun logs from two people and a dog who cruised these waters in a 27 footer go here:

Destiny's big trip, page 1
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote