Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 09:51   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473, 47ft
Almost liveaboard in Boston

Hi everybody,

After many years of lurking around the forum and learning from hundreds of threats I think it’s time to really ‘join’ the group.

My wife an I have been planning on retiring on a sailboat for over 4 years, but since that would mean waiting for another 30 years, we decided to skip getting a house (and its mortgage) and live aboard in Boston... The whole reason of moving to New England was for the sailing so why not starting sooner?!

The idea is to get the boat at the end of summer 2018, do any major refit over the winter, and splash in Spring of 2019. We know that living aboard in winter in Boston will be a challenge, but hey, there are others doing it in Canada!

Anyway, I figure I would introduce myself. I’m sure I’ll have a ton of questions, but first we need to find the boat.

Fair winds!

Ivan
Ivanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:00   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Almost liveaboard in Boston

You'll get plenty of support here from the liveaboards, but why wouldn't you try it first on any old sailboat and see how much you like it?

We have liveaboards here that were living ashore with friends when we went through that cold spell.........their boat was a Morgan 40 I believe and rather hard to heat.

Then there are lots of other reasons to consider. Folks partying on the marina at all hours, boat traffic, waves, noise..........places to put your stuff.?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 22:03   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Ivan! Good luck in your boat search.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ivan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:16   #5

Thank you!! It's very exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You'll get plenty of support here from the liveaboards, but why wouldn't you try it first on any old sailboat and see how much you like it?
That is more or less the plan. We are currently renting a house, so it is either putting the money towards buying a house or getting a sailboat...
Old 09-02-2018, 04:31   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Hi Ivan, welcome aboard. If you already live in Boston I don’t have to tell you about the weather, and that living aboard can be tough at times. Also, a “major” refit is going to be challenging over the winter unless the boat can be brought inside to a workshop.

You didn’t mention your experience, are you new to boats or is this your entry point?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:44   #7

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanvet View Post
The idea is to get the boat at the end of summer 2018, do any major refit over the winter, and splash in Spring of 2019. We know that living aboard in winter in Boston will be a challenge, but hey, there are others doing it in Canada!

Ivan
A major refit during a Boston winter? That takes guts unless you have a heated will lighted shed.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:59   #8

I've been livingaboard in Boston for nearly two years. I promise you it's not as daunting as everyone on forums makes it out to be - especially those who have never done it themselves. I've done significant work to my boat during the winter months - it's just time to focus on indoor projects (replumbing, rewiring, rebuilding winches, etc.). Constitution Marina has the biggest liveaboard community in the northeast and they treat us very well. The people are awesome - it's a true community. Life is pretty damn good. I have a water view of downtown and ride my bike 15 minutes to work.
jls095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Hi Ivan, welcome aboard. If you already live in Boston I don’t have to tell you about the weather, and that living aboard can be tough at times. Also, a “major” refit is going to be challenging over the winter unless the boat can be brought inside to a workshop.

You didn’t mention your experience, are you new to boats or is this your entry point?
Thank you! We are looking at newer-ish boats with the hope of avoiding major 'structural' refits, so we can focus more on installing heating, revisit the electric systems, perhaps installing solar, etc...

I'm not new to sailing but my wife is. I lived in the UK about a decade ago and learned to sail in the Solent (great place for really learn how tides and currents can be both your friend and enemy!). Crossing the English channel in a 18 foot boat was... challenging! This sailboat was a Leisure 18 (bilge keel) that I used to liveaboard during the summer while working in the area. I've done some miles in other boats helping with deliveries and such, but for the last 4 years I haven't had much sailing other than random day sails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls095 View Post
I've been livingaboard in Boston for nearly two years. I promise you it's not as daunting as everyone on forums makes it out to be - especially those who have never done it themselves. I've done significant work to my boat during the winter months - it's just time to focus on indoor projects (replumbing, rewiring, rebuilding winches, etc.). Constitution Marina has the biggest liveaboard community in the northeast and they treat us very well. The people are awesome - it's a true community. Life is pretty damn good. I have a water view of downtown and ride my bike 15 minutes to work.
Thank you for the encouragement! Constitution Marina is where we are hoping to live Every time there is a storm we drive down to see how you guys cope with it... and so far my wife is still on board! I can't wait to enjoy that view.

Tags
liveaboard