Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-08-2014, 07:38   #1

Ahoy - Need Bearings for a Five Year Plan

Hello all
Ever since I saw Jacques-Yves Cousteau on TV, when I was reallyyoung (in India), and when I had a lot of time and little money, I have had this fascination with oceans. It was not even passing fad. It never diminished.
Now I have money but time is precious and little
James Nestor came up with a new book called ‘Deep’. This is what he says “the final unseen, untouched, and undiscovered wilderness.” It is also a frontier extremely difficult to explore. The pressure is so intense, at 30 feet down our “lungs collapse to half their normal size.”
So I have set myself to do sailing and free-diving, I now live in the capital of the free world - Washington DC.
So I want to go about the right way to learn sailing. I have taken the small boat course at DC Sails last year.
My five year plan is this: I want to at least be skilfull enough to sail from Florida to the Caribbean independently by 2019.
So i need direction
a) What book to consider a good companion?
b) How many hours of sailing per year or during the summer or any time?
c) For anyone in DC, which community to be involved locally.

I welcome any more suggestions than answers to the above...
thanks

Old 27-08-2014, 08:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: AHOY - NEED BEARINGS FOR A FIVE YEAR PLAN

Welcome to the forum. Overall sounds like a reasonable plan. I would say in general keep on what you're doing.

Regarding your specific questions.

The answer would be many different books. For repair and maintenance of everything on a boat it is hard to beat Nigel Calder's book Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. For general basic reference Chapman Piloting and Seamanship. Then add some books on sail trim, advanced seamanship, navigation, etc.

As much as you can. More is better.

Sorry I can't help here, I'm in Florida but certainly someone local will chime in.

Old 27-08-2014, 09:09   #3

thank you skipmac
appreciate it.
Will let u know when i am in Florida
Old 27-08-2014, 09:58   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Larry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 10:08   #5

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher

Welcome! The best bit of advice I can offer-

Don't overthink things- rather, act instead, knowing you may fail. Live and learn, and enjoy the journey. Last thing you want to be is an educated couch potato, looking out a window, wishing you had taken that small step and moved toward the door.

Time is relative to what you spend it on.

Take a read here- these folks went from boating newbies to crossing oceans in just a few years:
KK-42, Mexcio to Marquesas in 19.5 Days - Trawler Forum
Old 27-08-2014, 21:11   #6

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

Larry, buy a sailboat ... now. Some beater in the 25 to 30 foot range that you can pick up for a few grand. Spend the next few years fixing it up, maintaining it, improving it, learning all about it, and above all sailing the keel off her. Then when your ready to move up to the real boat of your plans you'll be ready.
Old 28-08-2014, 00:15   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
Larry, buy a sailboat ... now. Some beater in the 25 to 30 foot range that you can pick up for a few grand. Spend the next few years fixing it up, maintaining it, improving it, learning all about it, and above all sailing the keel off her. Then when your ready to move up to the real boat of your plans you'll be ready.
+1

The way to make sailing come to fruition is to make it part of your life, like exercise for some people or hiking or any other "hobby" - Make it your primary focus when not working and it will happen.

You are very close to a ton of sailing. Just get out there and do it. Do what wristwister says - buy that boat - get on it as much as possible and decide that "one weekend day each week will be devoted to boating."

Soon both weekend days will be devoted to sailing. And then you'll spend a weeks vacation on the boat and then that trip to FL will just happen as a consequential next step.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 00:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Ahoy - Need Bearings for a Five Year Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellarry View Post
For anyone in DC, which community to be involved locally. ......
Welcome to this community! As far as the sailing community options in your area, you have many possibilities. The sailing on the upper Potomac may be convenient, but it is limited and with more restricted space and the current issue on the river. Of course Annapolis is the most obvious close sailing center, but Galesville, a little less crowded, would be my choice for a sailing getaway. There's some active sailing clubs and opportunities in Solomons too, but that's a little further of a trip for the weekend. We are in Florida now, but we also spend time cruising through your area.
Old 28-08-2014, 02:05   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Larry,

Your general plan should work, and most of the advice so far is reasonable. Ex-Cal's point about dedicating a LOT of your time to pursuit of sailing is essential if you want to make things move ahead. And I agree that asap you should buy some sort of boat of your own. It doesn't have to be a great boat, but it should have all the essentials... a sloop rig (normal for smaller boats), possibly trailerable if marina space is difficult or fiscally challenging, basic systems like plumbing, electrics, instruments and so on so that you become familiar with their usage and maintenance. Then sail a lot, fix the things that break or that don't satisfy your requirements, learn about navigation. For me, the best way to learn something is to do it, not be taught about it, but that varies with different people. LOTS of sailing! Yeah, it's a tough assignment, but some one must do it and it might as well be you!

Books: sailing and voyaging have a rich literature... very rich in fact! I'd suggest at least one "how to sail" book, one about boat systems, and a lot about the voyages and cruises that folks have done in the past. Everything from the classics like Slocum, Pigeon and the Hiscocks to more modern tomes such as Hal Roth, the Pardeys, perhaps some race oriented books as well as cruising ones. There are so many good ones... check out your local library.

I guess that sailing in the DC area is curtailed in the winter (a horrible thought, for I have always been where one can sail year round), so that is a good time for study of skills like navigation, engine maintenance, simple electrical systems repair/design and so on. There may be JC classes in some of those subjects available. The only one that I ever took was Celestial Nav, but I bet there are plenty of other possibilities to get you through the grey months.

This sounds like a lot of activity, expense and effort, but if you really want to become a competent cruiser within five years (note the term "competent", as contrasted to someone who has taken ASA101-10X in lieu of doing the hard work) you better get cracking! It should be fun.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 28-08-2014, 05:04   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellarry View Post

a) a check book,
b) max,
c) the sailing one.

Cheers,
b.
Old 28-08-2014, 05:36   #11

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Larry, come out to Annapolis -- or Galesville, or Deale -- and look at boats, talk to people, ask who instructs, take a few lessons, starts chartering, maybe buy a boat.

Sometime in there you might even feel like offering to crew for some of the racers in Annapolis (Boatyard Bar & Grill) or Galeseville (Pirate's Cove)... and that'd get you some additional deck experience. That'd be secondary to eventually commanding your own (or chartered) boat, though.

-Chris
Old 17-09-2014, 14:11   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
There are always clubs to get you sailing the maximum amount of time sailing with the minimum of maintenance work. You can do follow up courses which will teach you more about navigation and rules of the road. I believe buying a boat while you have very little experience is a big waste of time and money unless you know and have a place to do fiberglassing and woodworking and engine maintenance or have a great deal of money to spend on those repairs and maintenance.
Good luck in whichever you chose to get out on the water.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: