Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-02-2013, 10:01   #1

Boat: PDQ 36
Ahoy Matey!! Care To Weigh My Mizzen?

Avast ye scurvy bilge-rats!! (Hi Zee!!)

Permission to come aboard!?!

I'm a retired US Army tanker (a different kind of BOOM) and currently a HS teacher. The Admiral and I sold the house up in the Great White North and are prowling the more comfortable US south coast for a suitable vessel to live and cruise on. We're getting close to purchasing that first big boat. Our near term plan will be coastal cruising in Florida and local GOM. Full retirement is coming...soon. Then we'll cruise the Caribbean.

So, no pretending or pretensions. Although we've owned and sailed a Hobie16 for twenty-five years, we consider ourselves neophytes for this adventure. As a good cavalryman, I've been doing serious reconnaissance over the past year. I've enjoyed the wit and wisdom on display here. Thank you for the helpful part you've played in that regard

Old 27-02-2013, 12:10   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Ahoy Matey!! Care To Weigh My Mizzen?

Welcome aboard...and thanks for your service!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 12:29   #3
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum.
Old 27-02-2013, 12:37   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Welcome Mr. Nauti bits....

Your profile name proves your worthiness to be amongst such like minded crowd!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 12:41   #5
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I wonder which boom to be more worried about a sailboat's or tank's?

On second though I wonder if a sailboat boom can be retrofitted to be a tank boom? There just let those pirates sneak up in the night!
Old 27-02-2013, 14:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service and hope you can find all the info you need right here on this forum.
kind regards,
Old 27-02-2013, 14:08   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Welcome to the community! My wife and I are retired teachers and we spend much time cruising Florida. Keep us posted of your adventures.
Old 27-02-2013, 15:24   #8

Yooz guys have brought a tear to mine eye!

Seriously, thank you kindly!

Since the Admiral just now left to barter for provisions, I'm free to chat it up unmolested. As the cupboard was bare, I reached into the coolbox and fetched a fine 60 minute Dogfish for lunch. I'm gonna make a fine sailor.

Here is my official disclaimer: my writing may, or may not, be clearly understood and may occasionally wander in many directions simultaneously. For some, it will not be worth the bother. Others will find it mildly interesting. Some will giggle themselves silly imagining the effect on other readers. None of this is unintentional.

As I have been lurking in the shadows for some time now, many of you are, in an internet sorta way, familiar(ewwwwww)

CaptForce!! Great handle! Although the Admiral, after reading the Pardey's books, was sold on the tiny wooden boat(as long as it was plastic), I read your blog and weaseled her onto one of those massive Morgans. After that she wasn't quite so keen about taking a bath in a bucket. With respect to DonL's comment, your boat could certainly support a battery of six pounders. With a Mark 19 on the bow and Cal. 50 on that glorious stern deck, you would be everyone's superhero in the Gulf of Aden.

Alas, I have succumbed to the dark side and am hunting one of those new-fangled keelless wonders, the catamaran. I know, some of you already hate me. Not a new one!! Jeez, have you seen what those things cost?? Have you seen my profile?? There isn't half a Brinks truck sitting in my bank account. But, the Admiral and I(mostly the Admiral), are disciplined enough to make a tiny little catamaran work. With her financial acumen(Scottish parents) and my elbow grease(Irish parents-but some people think I'm Italian) we are going to make this work, by gummy.

So, I'm setting aside my trusty saber and replacing it with a sexy cutlass. Watch out world(south Florida), he we come.
Old 27-02-2013, 15:37   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

welcome..lol looks like ye fit right into this mess..lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 16:19   #10

G'day from Downunder, you sound quite a character
Old 27-02-2013, 17:03   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Hi Nauti and Admiral
Welcome to the motley crew .

You sound like you will fit in beautifully .
Happy boat hunting.
Old 27-02-2013, 18:38   #12

Dear Saucy,

The Admiral would like to know how best to maintain her NautiBits at sea, and in port for that matter.

Your friend,

NautiBits

Hi Zee,

Give Ol' Bubba the Bilge Rat a big hug from the Admiral. Our cat, Chester the Molester, will be staying here in Tejas when we cast off. He particularly enjoys armadillos. GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER PEOPLE!(Sorry mods, but I think poetic license supersedes your 1st amendment infringement clause!) An armadillo is NOT a Texas sized sex toy. This is a cute little pussy cat we're talking about here. An armadillo is like a cross between a rat and a lady's handbag. They seem to like to play in traffic, which, in Texas, is dad gum foolish. They do taste a little like chicken. Not the cat, the armadillo. Who could eat a sweet little pussy....
NEWS FLASH: We interrupt this broadcast to report that the cruise ship Carnival Triumph, safely docked in Mobile, Alabama, has clearly set a new Guinness World record for most expansive poop deck. Check that...most expensive poop on deck ..oh, that's not good.

Speaking of Guinness is making me thirsty..gotta go
Old 27-02-2013, 19:39   #13

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Wow... you sure like to go in harm's way.

First the Army, then teaching, now on to a boat with one too many hulls.

Six pounders? (sigh) to have a really cool sea going gun you need a 5" 54 or perhaps a 3" 50. Put the CWIS (.30 cal cannon) on the cabin top and I'll let you slide on the .50 cal.

At least you are finally coming to your senses and taking to the water. Since you were in the Army, perhaps you are in need of a pair of water wings and swimming lessons?

In any case, welcome from a former "mop jockey".

Hopefully, you'll be able to stop over in my favorite sailing grounds along the Nature Coast of Florida and swap sea stories (don't worry, you don't have to have actually BEEN to sea to have a sea story).
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:33   #14

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Welcome! thanks for your service, you'll find lots of good cruising on the Gulf Coasts to get you ready for the Caribbean!
Steve W
Old 27-02-2013, 20:34   #15

Ooh..ooh..

Hi Seaworthy, Helllllooooooo down there Flacky, and hello to everybody that I missed and haven't met yet.

As for you Khagen, my swarthy, bow-legged, "I've got tattoos from 37 different countries!" Those are mighty fine projectile distribution machines you've described. However, think of the feng shui! (For Texans and others, feng shui is San Franciscan for "That dog don't hunt!" As in "Those orange socks are messing with my feng shui, girlfriend!" The Morgan OI is classic pirate ship. It screams "I need a 50 cal to complete my feng shui!" You're trying to put a fart-can muffler on are Harley-Davidson man! Now a Chris White Atlantic 57 or a Gunboat 66 with your toys would be something to behold.

Are those things what they call moobs?

I am one of the few tankers that can swim. I don't know why. Fate, I guess.

I'd love to take you up on your offer, but you'll have to remember to remind me not to fall asleep before you. My Marine buddies always told me not to fall asleep before a sailor. I didn't ask why.

Then there's this little boat problem. I don't have one. But I'm working on that. I heard people are giving away boats here. Is that true? Plus, then I've got to consult my charts, gribs, oracles, and assorted nautical paraphernalia in order to please Poseidon or Moses and convince the wind to blow me in the right direction. It all sounds so mysterious and fascinating. I never knew sailors were having so much fun while I was crushing tumbleweeds in my little tanky thing while protecting the world from democracy.

Caio!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: