Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 11:44   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to nirvan
Ahoy Mates!

Ahoy Mates!
I'm a newbie here, but sailing 40 years on San Francisco Bay; cruised to Mexico, and cruised around the island of Vancouver; used to teach sailing part-time.
Glad to have found this site!
I posted earlier to the classified and someone suggested i introduce myself, here too.
I'm wanting to buy a boat for Mexico, Sea of Cortez for cruising 4 or 5 months each year. About a 30' foot boat would work for me. I've also considered a trailerable Balboa 26, although i have not had an opportunity to sail one. I would like to hear any knowledeable opinions of how sea worthy these are and how well they sail.
I haven't owned a boat for many years, but have actively sailed a friends International Folkboat for the last 10 years. Great boat, seaworthy, fast, beautiful lines. 26' and only sitting headroom, i tried watering it, but it won't grow!
nirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 13:51   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Nirvan,
Welcome aboard! In former threads about International Folkboats (look it up the search block) there were recommendations as to other boats just like the Folkboat only bigger! Just what you're looking for.
Anyway. Glad to meet you and look forward to more of your posts.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 13:55   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
The biggest "grown" folkboat is the Contessa 32 - a boat with all the good points of the folkboat, but with more space. sporty, good in bad weather, well worth a long look.
Old 12-08-2006, 00:29   #4
Kai Nui

Welcome aboard Nirvan. Please add some details in your profile so whe can give more accurate answers to the questions you ask.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:01   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Welcome Nirvan! Lots of reading material here; hope that you can contribute some too! Enjoy.

And, as Kai suggested - a little info in your profile would help those that wish to respond to you, know more about you ... you can click on your name in a post, or click on the word PROFILE in the Banner Menu above.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:59   #6

Welcome aboard "newbie." I mean Nirvan!!

You've come to the greatest sailing forum in the whole wide world. And if ya looking for answers. I'm pretty sure you'll find'em in here. Or someone in here could point ya in the direction of what you're lookin' for?

Good luck. And welcome aboard!!:cubalibre

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 08:27   #7

Location: West Coast of Mexico in the winter and the mountains of Arizona in the Summer
Boat: Hunter 42, Summer Wind
We read your post in the classifieds section and wanted to give you feedback on our experience in buying a boat in Mexico. Last August we purchased a Hunter 42 in San Carlos from a broker out of San Diego. We did not have the experience others mentioned. Ours was very successful. We found the listing on Yachtworld.com. We used a surveyor out of Ensenda (he has family in San Carlos) and was very happy with the results. We're heading back down to San Carlos this weekend and will be happy to check the local boards . . . when we left in May there were several being advertized.

s/v Summer Wind
Hunter42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 21:37   #8

Location: West Coast of Mexico in the winter and the mountains of Arizona in the Summer
Boat: Hunter 42, Summer Wind
Boat in San Carlos

We just had dinner with some friends here in San Carlos that have a 28' Lancer for sale. It has a trailer, an almost new 8 HP Mercury OB with a big fuel tank, radio, auto helm, tiller steering, etc. etc. If you are interested, email the owners at Sailorh@yahoo.com. The boat is at their house here in San Carlos, with the bottom painting being done today. It has new standing rigging also.

Larry & Diana
s/v Summer Wind
Hunter42 is offline   Reply With Quote