Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:20   #1

Boat: Lancer 1984 27ft
Ahoy from Vero Beach, FL!

Just purchased my second sailboat, a 27' Lancer. I live on the Indian River and need to understand mooring regulations on the ICW around Vero and Sebastian. My 23' Southcoast is at a marina, but I want
to moor my new boat near my house so I can go out frequently and learn about her idiosyncracies. There are a couple of old mooring balls in a little side channel off the ICW. In 2 years, I have only ever seen one sailboat moored (an overnighter), otherwise nada. Am I correct that I can use these moorings ad lib? They are in sight of my dining room window.

I can't locate who the regulators are on this type of thing, and what the local regs might be. Any suggestions?

I've been told by an old Cracker down the road that they are old, old, old and were sunk with a motor engine or something by someone back in the 50's. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Kathleenkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:25   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Welcome to a great forum. I can not help with your question, but I bet someone here can.

Quote:
I've been told by an old Cracker down the road
LOL .
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:45   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I would not use a mooring without checking whether it's secure. If it is abandoned I guess you could use it but make sure you check everything out by diving on it. Watch out for the alligators.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:27   #4

Boat: Lancer 1984 27ft
Abandoned Mooring

Thanks for your suggestion. I've got a diver here who should be able
to take care of that.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:28   #5

Boat: 1991 hunter 35.5 legend
Welcome,
I live in Vero Beach as well. However I keep the boat at a marina in fort Pierce. I am not sure where you would find out about droping a mooring or even who has jurisdiction. FWC or the city marina might be of help. I know the waiting list for the city marina and moorings are at least a few years long. I definetly recomend diving and checking any mooring you plan on using as mentioned above. hope to see you out on the river.
ZolaSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:49   #6

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Welcome to the Forum. My wife Cindy and I live up in the Melbourne area and we enjoy sailing down to Vero to hang out for a few days and enjoy the town. We love Vero Beach and the City does a great job with their marina and mooring field. We anxious to hear what transpires with the former Stuart City Marina. Not sure if you've heard but it's been leased out to a private company who is now remodeling the Southpoint Anchorage. I hear they're going to eliminate half of the moorings and replace them with three large docks for super yachts. Hmmm..., It's the owner of the Miami Dolphins corporation - let's hope he does better than the Dolphins 1-15 record last year. Stuart is (or was) a super nice place to sail down to for few days - or a month. And the marina is right smack down town Stuart. We have some pretty cool places to take small trips to along the ICW. Drop me a Private Message if you all are planning to head north toward Sebastian (Capt Hirams) or Melbourne. We're actually sailing down to Hirams this weekend. We're based out of Dragon Point / Indian Harbour Beach.

Kevin 'n Cindy
S/V Bladerunner
Surf NRG
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:15   #7

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Half the moorings are already gone at southpoint, the dredging is done and the dock is progressing each day. Supposedly the remaining balls will open this december, the docks a bit later. I dunno about mega yachts but there's going to be 200 slips.

Vero has some strange anchoring laws around their mooring field, I don't know what they are at this point as people got pretty ticked, but at one point they were trying to limit people to 24 hours, as far as installing a mooring ball, I was under the impression that was considered permanent and therefor the last underneath had to be leased or some crap like that I dunno I honestly havent looked into it, maybe call the city and see what kind of response you get, that will give you an idea of what you are up against as far as local resistance.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Kathleen,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. I hope you had a diver check those moorings before using them. Here in our little bay we've had boats lost at least once a year because of the chains deteriorating or lines chafing.
Good luck on being able to see your boat from your home. What an ideal situation!
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 09:48   #9

I AM IN VERO HEADED NORTH\SAILBOAT 5' 3 DRAFT/WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT ANCHORAGES AT SEBSTIAN
ricky kaye is offline   Reply With Quote