Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 23:10   #1

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft
Thumbs up Ahoy from Bass Strait, Australia

Hi everyone!

I have been a member for over 2 years, and yet this is my first post! (well, except the accidental one that my husband posted when logged in under my ID ) Clearly Im a pretty crappy joiner-in-er-er!

We (me, husband Michael, and our long-suffering feline Kitty) are from Adelaide Australia, currently cruising in Victoria on our way across Bass Strait to Tasmania for the rest of the summer. Our appropriately named home is Bass Voyager, a 38ft John Pugh steel sloop. (Actually I find cruising the waters of our boat's namesake mildly embarrassing, but am expecting loads of kudos once we get further North!)

Its so exciting to be "out here" finally after years of planning, selling everything, saying goodbye to careers and family - all of the usual upheaval that comes from choosing to embark on this type of adventure!

Ive been so grateful for the wealth of experience, goodwill and knowledge shared on this forum, and I hope now we're out cruising I can give a little back to the community.

Hope to meet a few of you out on the big blue!

Cait
Old 09-01-2012, 23:43   #2

Re: Ahoy from Bass Strait, Australia

Hi guys and welcome to CF....

At the moment i am at home on Bribie Is Qld, my own boat is in Bundaberg Qld. My work boat (Job) Pacific Valkyrie (PACIFIC VALKYRIE - Vessel's Details and Current Position - 9361653 - 565691000) is down in Bass Strait working with the DB30 Construction Barge (Heavy Lift Vessel - DB 30) and a few other vessels working around the Marlin and Tuna Platform area (Charted), if your passage is going to bring you in close to this area, give it a wide berth, lots of activity going on and quite a few unlit steel (5 ton) buoys around.

I will be back there next Thursday and will keep an eye out for you if you are passing through.....

Happy and Safe Cruising to you both.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 23:54   #3

Hi Island Hopper- thanks for looking out for us! We will be crossing over to King Island from Port Fairy - hopefully Friday (the 13th! double whammy! hehe) - so wont be near the platform, but really appreciate the local info. Thanks! Hope to get up to Bribie sometime soon.
Old 09-01-2012, 23:56   #4

Hey guys - a small world. Now I wish I had stopped to chat earlier. You were in final preparation prior to you embarking on your journey when I purchased my Mustang. I was in the pen along side at Crown Marina North Haven. I now get that sail don't talk to power lol . Anyway hope you are both enjoying your time and would love to stay in touch as what you are now doing is what my wife and I have commenced planning. Good luck, stay safe and smooth sailing .

Cheers

Nick
N Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 00:06   #5

Wow - it is a small world!! Or maybe that's just Adelaide! Funny about the whole sailor/powerboat divide eh?

We are having an amazing time so far. So glad we made the big leap.
Definitely stay in touch - our blog is in our signature - and look us up when you get out here!
Old 10-01-2012, 00:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSun View Post
Hi Island Hopper- thanks for looking out for us! We will be crossing over to King Island from Port Fairy - hopefully Friday (the 13th! double whammy! hehe) - so wont be near the platform, but really appreciate the local info. Thanks! Hope to get up to Bribie sometime soon.
What the hell, tempt fate, throw some Banana's on board....
Old 10-01-2012, 00:26   #7

Boat: 33ft sloop

I admire the way you get started with the other kind of living. The images are a witness of the beauty of Australia and the many surprises you have discovered so far. Best regards from a wet & windy Holland.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55   #8

Thanks for the kind words MacG. It was hard to make the break but we did it! Good luck in chasing your dreams!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Blue Sun,

Welcome to CF and the cruising life. Looks like we may get away from Eden bound for Hobart sometime over the weekend, perhaps we'll meet somewhere along the way.

Cheers and enjoy the new life.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-01-2012, 03:40   #10

Hi Jim, thanks! We will keep an eye out for you! It will be our first time in Tassie - very much looking forward to it.

Have a safe passage!

Caitlin
Old 11-01-2012, 14:57   #11

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Hi Caitlin & Michael, another Adelaidean here. Welcome to the site. I'm already enjoying your blog site. Port Fairy looks beaut - long time since I've been there. Just wondering where are you getting your sea condition info from. This morning BOM site showing 3m swell forecast (for 8am) so hopefully it has settled down. Best wishes for your crossing to King Island, and beyond. Cheers
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 15:28   #12

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Hi guys and welcome to CF....

At the moment i am at home on Bribie Is Qld, my own boat is in Bundaberg Qld. My work boat (Job) Pacific Valkyrie (PACIFIC VALKYRIE - Vessel's Details and Current Position - 9361653 - 565691000) is down in Bass Strait working with the DB30 Construction Barge (Heavy Lift Vessel - DB 30) and a few other vessels working around the Marlin and Tuna Platform area (Charted), if your passage is going to bring you in close to this area, give it a wide berth, lots of activity going on and quite a few unlit steel (5 ton) buoys around.

I will be back there next Thursday and will keep an eye out for you if you are passing through.....

Happy and Safe Cruising to you both.....
Hi Island Hopper

Was at Bribie Island visiting a mate who is starting his cat build in Feburary and we took to opportunity to check out a 10m oram powercat recently launched and moored at pacific harbour. You should recognise where from this picture.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	35875  
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 19:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames View Post
Hi Caitlin & Michael, another Adelaidean here. Welcome to the site. I'm already enjoying your blog site. Port Fairy looks beaut - long time since I've been there. Just wondering where are you getting your sea condition info from. This morning BOM site showing 3m swell forecast (for 8am) so hopefully it has settled down. Best wishes for your crossing to King Island, and beyond. Cheers
Hi kjames
hehe - yes, we're definitely not expecting a millpond out there! We use a combination of the BOM and www.willyweather.com.au which we like because of its user-friendly graphics and more localised analysis. There has been some huge swell out there the last few days but it has already dropped a lot.
According to the BOM charts we are expecting 2 - 2.5m combined wave and swell tomorrow, improving as the trip goes on. Wind and swell are in the same direction until the afternoon which will help. Winds are fairly light too. Thanks for the good wishes!
Michael and Caitlin
Old 11-01-2012, 23:43   #14

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

I know you would have heeps of research on tassy but Tasmania | JACKandJUDE.com is not a bad info. If you would add costs of anchorages like you did with Port Fairy as its quite interesting. Enjoy and one day I may get the wife to do what you guys are doing.:ban ghead::ban ghead:

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 00:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Hi Island Hopper

Was at Bribie Island visiting a mate who is starting his cat build in Feburary and we took to opportunity to check out a 10m oram powercat recently launched and moored at pacific harbour. You should recognise where from this picture.

Cheers
Yep, Wilpower's cat

I live on the surf side of the island (Woorim), i threw the kayak in the passage last week and went for a paddle through Pacific Harbour for a sticky beak at her, she certainly looks the part and they should get a lot of pleasure from her.....

Cheers

John

Tags
Australia