Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:14   #1

Boat: DEFENDER, PILOTHOUSE, 55 FT, MARIANGIE
Ahoy, Cruisers and Sailors - Greetings from Puerto Rico

Hi, I cruise on my 55 ft Defender Pilothouse in Puerto Rico and the virgin Islands.
heribertorosas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48   #2

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Welcome aboard !

We may cross paths occasionally. I also spend most of my time in and around the Virgin Islands. Hope to make it to the Spanish Virgin Islands in May if possible and then back to US and British Island where I station my boat.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome.
Any chance of seeing some pics and hearing a little more about you and your boat.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:22   #4

Hola Heriberto. Greetings from a Puerto Rican in California and quasi-new member as well. -Danny
Old 03-04-2009, 16:48   #5

Boat: Capri 25 and bareboat charters
Hola. I'm new to this board myself, but used to cruise a Watkins 27 around Fajardo, Vieques, and Culebra. I sold that boat a few years ago, and now use boats from a local sailing club out of Fajardo. My wife and I have a condo in the Fajardo area where we spend winters, and even when we're not sailing we look out at the beautiful offshore islands and do a lot of day anchoring at Palominos and Icacos. We've probably seen you sailing by.
Old 03-04-2009, 16:53   #6

Boat: Skookum 53'
Greetings from a fellow pilot house cruiser.
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 21:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSailor View Post
Hola. I'm new to this board myself, but used to cruise a Watkins 27 around Fajardo, Vieques, and Culebra. I sold that boat a few years ago, and now use boats from a local sailing club out of Fajardo. My wife and I have a condo in the Fajardo area where we spend winters, and even when we're not sailing we look out at the beautiful offshore islands and do a lot of day anchoring at Palominos and Icacos. We've probably seen you sailing by.
Man, you just brought back tons of memories with your post. I've camped at Palominitos for 2 weeks at a time, anchored at Palominos dozens of times and windsurfed from Fajardo to Icacos. I've cruised that area multiple times at night, kiteboarded at Punta Arenas in vieques and spent weeks cruising Culebras and other nearby islands. I have great memories from Fajardo.

I remember doing an overnight camp with about 15 friends. I had a little Chaparral 16 footer with a 70hp outboard back then. Since I could only fit about 5 people on the boat, I had to do 3 trips to Palominitos to drop people off. All this at night with no moon and no GPS. I know the reefs there pretty well. With a really bright flashlight, we would locate the reef and then find the entrance. No problems
Old 04-04-2009, 04:57   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Bienvenido, Heriberto.

The Spanish Virgins have some beautiful anchorages. I'm surprised that more sailors don't visit them. Our favorites were Bahia de Almodovar on Culebra, the beautiful bay on Culebrita, and Bahia Icacos on Vieques. On weekdays, we pretty much had them to ourselves.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:53   #9

Boat: Capri 25 and bareboat charters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteboarder View Post
All this at night with no moon and no GPS. I know the reefs there pretty well. With a really bright flashlight, we would locate the reef and then find the entrance. No problems
You're a braver sailor than me. Well, maybe with a power boat I might try that, but with a sailboat I steer well clear of those reefs even in the daytime.

I've anchored out at Palominos and Icacos on a Beneteau 323 a couple of times in the last few weeks, and there are some anchorages very close to shore, but the entrances are narrow and there's not much room to maneuver around if you change your mind. And GPS doesn't really help in those situations, it's all visual. So I stay a little further out than others, but no big deal.

There's a new island that's opening up, it's called Pineros and it's 5 nm S-SW of Palominos. The island was (still is) controlled by the Navy, but the Navy is in the process of selling those lands and leaving. There are a couple of great anchorages there but, technically, it's still a restricted area. Since there's no ongoing operations, I doubt if they would care as long as you don't go ashore. I've anchored there myself, and have seen other boats anchored.
Old 06-04-2009, 19:22   #10

Boat: DEFENDER, PILOTHOUSE, 55 FT, MARIANGIE
I live in the western region of Puerto Rico, in Cabo Rojo, my boat is in Marina Boqueron, Boqueron is a nice bay where lots of sailors and cruisers stop all year long on there way to and from the VI, most of my weekends are spent in Combate beach and La Parguera reefs in Lajas. I will cruise to the virgin islands in July 2009.
heribertorosas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 18:25   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard! It appears you've made some friends already. I've only sailed into Roosevelt Roads on a Cruiser.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Puerto Rico