Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2006, 13:59   #1

Boat: 36' Youngquist 1972 "Apres Sea"
Ahoy

In the early stages of getting hooked on cruising. Sail mostly in the Pacific North West so I'm keen on getting to know pilot house yachts.

Couldn't seem to find a forum dedicated to reviews by manufacturer like they have on Yacht Forums. If I just missed it directions would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on Nauticat?
old dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 14:22   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Check out Sceptre pilothouse yachts. Made in and for your part of the country.

John
SV Kloosh
Sceptre 41
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 14:24   #3

Will do. Thanks John.
Old 24-05-2006, 21:04   #4
Kai Nui

Old dog, Never sailed on a Nauticat, but the ones I have looked at at boat shows turned me off. Of course, I have no need to sleep 12 people. THey see to be well constructed, but for the price they should be. I have spoken with one owner, and he loves the boat. Probably not very useful, but that's my opinion.
Old 25-05-2006, 10:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
Old dog, Never sailed on a Nauticat, but the ones I have looked at at boat shows turned me off.
Was it the styling you didn't like or something else?

What other pilot house yachts would you suggest I look at?

Cheers,

OD
Old 25-05-2006, 11:21   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Welcome aboard Old Dog. I'm new here too. I always liked the Ted Brewer designed Pilot Houses. I believe he's up in your area and there are probably a few of his boats for sale there.
Good Luck in your search.
Regards, --John--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 11:48   #7

Thanks SkiprJ

As it happens there was a nice looking 44 Brewer on YachtWorld.com that caught my eye. For now I'm mostly approaching the subject from the perspective of how my family would use space. ie Pilothouse to keep the kids warm but up top, number of cabins etc.

I thought I was approaching the subject with a healthy respect for how little I really know. Then I bumped into this thread....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2897
...now I realize that even my low estimation of my competency is a gross overestimation. Lots to learn, but what a great subject to study.

If you or any others can direct me to any gem threads I'd appreciate it.
Old 25-05-2006, 12:10   #8

Hi OD,
I'd try walking the docks a bit and just asking folks how they like their boats because you are looking. Friendly sailors usually will invite you aboard for a look if they aren't in a hurry. Try to find good boat shows. I know Seattle has a great one in the Fall/Winter. Port Townsend has the Wooden Boat Festival in September and all their boats on display welcome visitors. Although those boats are wooden (which you may not want) you can get an idea of size and space just by going aboard and looking around. Take lots of notes. Don't try to rely on your memory. If you are near Portland, Cascade Yachts is open for visitors and they have a yard and several boats for sale you can look through. Before buying, hire a surveyor to go through the boat inch by inch.
www.cascadeyachts.com
Does it really have to have a pilot house?
Have a great search!!!
Regards, --John--
Old 25-05-2006, 22:35   #9
Kai Nui

The ones I looked at had OK living space, but insufficient stowage for a boat of their size. The bigger design (47' I think) slept something like 9 people. I suppose that has it's place, but I can think of much better use for the space.
As for other options, one of the members here, Lakbay Dagat used to have a Choey Lee 43 Motor sailor. I realy liked that boat. It was layed out great for a family of 4, or a couple and a couple of guests. It felt roomy but there was always someplace to hang on, and it sailed great. I am a big fan of Fishers. They are a true motorsailor designed off of the old Fort Bragg fishing trawlers.
Old 25-05-2006, 23:03   #10

Hey Kai.

Fisher's. That's the one design you mentioned to me last week right?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 23:15   #11
Kai Nui

Yes it is.
Old 25-05-2006, 23:19   #12

That is a very nice design, Kai.

Too bad it's presently out of my price range.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 09:30   #13

Because there is a grand canyon between the vessel I love and the vessel I can afford I'm interested in hearing the good bad and ugly about private yacht share arangements.

Also anyone have any thoughts on the 2002 Hunter 34?
Old 26-05-2006, 12:59   #14

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
For the rich & famous (not me).. I saw a Bruckman 51 PH Sloop at the Oakland Strictly Sail show last month. Beautifully made and a nice floorplan IMHO. Now if I can just scrape together the $1.2 Million sail-away price....

Old 26-05-2006, 17:01   #15

Hi Old Dog,

I hope you aren't discouraged about what folks are saying the cost of your boat might have to be. I have a 42. I had a 35. The 35 was big enough for a couple and some parttime kids. I did an interisland 4 day trip with 9 adults aboard once and it was fun. You can get a lot of sailing done by yourself or with company on a smaller, cheaper boat. Smaller boats are easier to handle solo or with your mate or kids as crew. Really big boats require crew or costly systems to help you sail them. I've seen some very good 32-36 foot boats go on ebay for $20k or less. If that is what you spend on the basic boat then you can add what you need and want commensurate with what you might spend on boat payments for a huge boat.
If I didn't have the big boat in my yard already and halfway done I'd go for something sailable now and smaller. "Just keeping the cruising dream alive."
Good luck in your search.

Kind Regards, --John--