Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 22:24   #16

Boat: Custom 85', 1934 Wooden Schooner named DESTINY
Finally, not being very computer savy, I found 3 pictures that were the size format allowed and got them downloaded. They were taken 6 months before we took her in for the start of the refit. So, here's the "before" pictures. The "after" pictures will hopefully be loaded in a few months! Find the 3 in my newly created album.

Dawn
CCR Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 23:05   #17

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
Hey Mike and Dawn,
I live just down the road from you(Julie Rd at the end of Kiehl). I saw the yard sale signs last weekend but didn't get down there. I saw your boat when you had it in Parks Bay and the harbor, she's beautiful. You probably don't remember me but I worked on the remodel of your parents place. where is the work being done on your boat? I know there isn't any place on the island that can haul a boat that size. Good luck with the rest of the work and your travels.
Dan
San Juan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:22   #18

Hi Dan,
Guess what! There's more yard sales this weekend! We have the guest house contents and more of the house stuff to sell and of course, the shop has to be emptied completely. At least it'll be decent weather for a change. Stop by if you get the chance and we'll catch up. DESTINY is in Port Townsend being worked on by the staff from The Wooden Boat School and the Shipwright's Co-op. They do amazing work on old wooden boats. Expensive as all get out, hence the long refit. Carol Haase, also is PT, is building the sails and can't start until mid/late June.
Mom & Dad absolutely love their place and you guys did a great job!
Cheers, Mike & Dawn
Old 18-04-2010, 11:32   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Beautiful! Was she at Port Townsend two years ago?
regards,
Old 18-04-2010, 12:28   #20

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
How do you hanndle square sails with a two person crew?

I can guess you can use powered winchs to pull the sails up. My guess would be some sort of clewline, buntline, leechline arrangement with a windless. But then does someone have to climb the mast to tie it all off? Or do you just drop the yard to the deck?
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 18:36   #21

Yes Skipper John, she was (and still is) in Port Townsend. Did you see her during the Wooden Boat show? We'd just put her on the hard before that and started the demo work.
Old 18-04-2010, 21:04   #22

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
How do you hanndle square sails with a two person crew?

I can guess you can use powered winchs to pull the sails up. My guess would be some sort of clewline, buntline, leechline arrangement with a windless. But then does someone have to climb the mast to tie it all off? Or do you just drop the yard to the deck?
The square sail will furl to the mast exactly like on the Maltese Falcon, except they'll be stored externally. Basically, the design will be much like drawing the strings on drapes to open and close them. Once they're up and the rigging in place, I'll take pictures and post them for you. Also, there is only 1 yard and 1 square sail.
Old 25-09-2010, 16:49   #23

SO excited to finally find the owners of Destiny. I sailed on it as crew for a short time in Hawaii. It is a beauty. Hearst first owned it, then Hughes, and I am thinking UCLA use it for an experimental marine vessel before 1977 when I was on it.

I had sailed from San Francisco to Hilo as working crew on a 42 foot wooden sloop. There were six of us working 4 hours each two shifts per 24. We did sun sites at noon for location. I cracked a rib from the telephone pole (so it seemed) we used to steer. It took 17 days and other than a pineapple and pork casserole that ended up boiling into one of my mates faces, we had no problems. I, being an RN, and former burn unit supervisor, had insisted silversulfadiazine, called Sufadine, be purchased for the trip in SF, her face was saved from third degree burns.

On arriving Hilo, I went to the john, drank some freshwater and step aboard a more modern boat that even had a wheel. lol. I was at the wheel in Alenuihaha channel,
phonetic and I dont know the correct spelling after all these years, With the boom straight out. got hit by venturi currents and winds and my mate did not have a lifeline on and almost ended up in the drink. I said take this wheel right now.

When we arrived Maui, I was delighted and never wanted to leave. I swam at times into shore in the currents from the anchorage.

I had been there two days when I was invited to crew on the Destiny.

We went to Kona with a wedding party. I sang Annie;s song to the couple, and after a few days we sailed back. By this time I had been sailing for almost a month and was ready for some terra firma. I sailed in Maui out to Lanai and watched an incredible metorite shower with countable several per minute.

I was 38 yrs old. Sailing to Hawaii, and crewing on the Destiny and living in Lahina for 5 months was probably the most enjoyable time of my life
Early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 16:54   #24

A link

Survival Stories - Sailing Alenuihaha Channel

It has been said the Alenuihaha channel is the most dangerous in the world. I can believe it. This rookie me- almost killed someone sailing it,
Early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 07:22   #25

Re: After Two Years, it's Finally Coming Together

Congratulations on your endeavor with "Destiny". She has a special place in my heart as I was the chef onboard her several times while in Hawaii in the early 80"s. She was chartered to the Blue Water Marine lab part of the U of H and traveled extensively around the Hawaiian Islands, which is how I got to see them all! At another time she was used for whale watching trips on which I again participated as chef until a propane leak and subsequent galley fires ensued which caused me to leave due to safety reasons!
I wonder if she still has the ships bell on the aft cabin top by the companionway doors? Crossing the Molokai Channel one time we had pretty nasty stuff and waves would come aft far enough to ring that bell! We got to anticipate which ones would be a "bell ringer"
I wish you a wonderful journey around the globe and hope to see your lady someday, restored and beautiful, she deserved no less

Capt Judy
Judyfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 06:27   #26

Hi CCR Divers,
I have been trying to find our old boat "Destiny". I'm wondering if this is her. One of my searches led me to Classic Yachts For Sale. We owned the Destiny in Newport Beach, California in the early to mid 1970's. I remember the beautiful wood interior with a magnificent bar. Pictures were everywhere. My dad bought her. He is 93 now and somehow we got on the subject of her. Any chance you could help me?
pinkkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 06:47   #27

"Destiny" has a FB page and a blog that I follow. Check it out and see if it is her. She is in Mexico now, west coast somewhere. I haven't gotten a post recently.

Judy
Judyfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 06:59   #28

Thank you Judy! I will try to find her on FB.
Old 23-11-2013, 07:25   #29

No luck on Facebook