Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2009, 05:15   #1

Advice, Please, About the Island Trader 46

Advice please about the island trader 46.

Hello ,I just bought an island trader ,1989 ,46.
With out the mast or sails ,
Set off from Hudson riverr heading for Miami ,

My question from other owners ,
I am finding this boat really dangerous ,it rolls to the point where you cant stand up ,
A jet ski going past upsets it ,
It has a Perkins 6 149 hp

Had to come on to the icw as it don't seems to be able to handle any kind of sea ,
Even on the water way its rolling .

What can I do ,
Will the masts stop this rolling ,
I'm being told she is sitting too high out the water .
I want to take this boat over to Spain ,but if she cant handle a river
She wont cross the Atlantic .

If some one that owns one or knows could help me out on why she is doing this ,
As I like the boat but really would not like this take her out to sea again ,
Thank you .
Lencol1@hotmail.com
lencol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 05:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Hoiw full is the boat? These are pretty large volume boats with huge tanks and a large displacement. Lightly loaded without the rest of the extra rigging I would guess it sits high in the water too. They have a high freebaord and so on deck the moment travels a greater distance.

They have huge water and fuel tanks roughly 450 gallons each. If they were low that would add a lot of height and make it behave more like a cork on top of the water. You could try loading more ballast. If you don't plan on adding back the rigging you might talk to a Naval Architect about adding stabilizers. This boat is not too unlike a lot of trawlers.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 06:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lencol.

The William Garden designed Island Trader 46 Motorsailer was built by Chung Hwa Boatbuilding CO (CHB) of Taiwan, and imported by Marine Trading International.
I agree that these boats have a very high profile, and inadequate draft to support transoceanic sailing. Installation of the mast(s) may improve her seakindliness, but not enough (IMHO).
With apologies, I think they are an abomination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IslandTrader46.jpg
Views:	1053
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	9950  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 12:27   #4

pblais ,
thank you .
the diesel tanks are 250 each side ,and are full ,
water 250 each side ,but still it rolls like nothing ,im not joking how a jet ski makes her roll ,let alone the sea ,
i intend on putting back the masts ,but need to get answers from other owners of these to know just how they sail theirs ,can she go across the atlantic or not ,as she is now the icw is a job for her .
surely they never made 170 of these to roll like this ,i still got to get her down to ponce inlet where i will get some one to test her .i just cant belive they would make a boat 25 ton that a jet ski can upset .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Hoiw full is the boat? These are pretty large volume boats with huge tanks and a large displacement. Lightly loaded without the rest of the extra rigging I would guess it sits high in the water too. They have a high freebaord and so on deck the moment travels a greater distance.

They have huge water and fuel tanks roughly 450 gallons each. If they were low that would add a lot of height and make it behave more like a cork on top of the water. You could try loading more ballast. If you don't plan on adding back the rigging you might talk to a Naval Architect about adding stabilizers. This boat is not too unlike a lot of trawlers.
Old 15-09-2009, 12:30   #5

well if she rolls like this and a jet ski can upset her i think you maybe right ,
but surely people would not pay 169 to 180,000 dollars for a boat that rolls like this ,there has to be a reason .looking for other owners to post,
but thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lencol.

The William Garden designed Island Trader 46 Motorsailer was built by Chung Hwa Boatbuilding CO (CHB) of Taiwan, and imported by Marine Trading International.
I agree that these boats have a very high profile, and inadequate draft to support transoceanic sailing. Installation of the mast(s) may improve her seakindliness, but not enough (IMHO).
With apologies, I think they are an abomination.
Old 15-09-2009, 13:46   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
There’s probably an owner’s group for these; so try googling:
William Garden
Chung Hwa Boatbuilding CO (CHB) of Taiwan
Marine Trading International
in addition to
Island Trader 46

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 14:14   #7

I think she's a beaut for a motor sailor! From the Pic above she doesnt seem to have real round bilges to make her roll... if act looks fairly flat in the aft sections...?. I would guess that like any sailboat I've had in a seaway, she will be uncomfortable as heck unless you get a sail up...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 14:14   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The mast and rigging make a huge difference. Some cruisers, after loosing their mast in a storm, preferred the life raft over the rolling yacht and abandoned ship but staying tied to the yacht.

Having said that, the boat design doesn't allow ocean crossings so you will need to transport it instead. Google Dockwise Transport, a solid Dutch company ;-)

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 14:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Nick on Jedi has the voice of wisdom! Without the rig sailboats don't behave as designed. The period of your roll will be greatly reduced with the masts back in place; however, as posted further above, the vessel you have is not known as a seakindly offshore cruiser. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 15:34   #10

So just curious... do we really know this boat " ...is not known as a seakindly offshore cruiser." is that what the user's group says? (She doesnt appear to have near as round a bilges as say an Alberg, Cape Dory etc.. It is a Bill Garden design...) or did you mean construction...?
Old 15-09-2009, 15:53   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
good cruiser
good liveaboard
leaky teaky and awesome--just make sure the decks are sound and the leaks are not over the pillow ......mine were for a bit--not anymore!!!! ( i am a formosa owner and foolishly proud of it LOL)
invest in clear penetrating epoxies
ps--no one else likes the leaky teakies--they think they donot sail--they do sail--like a brick and get there to the destination safely and soundly with the performance cruiser crew cooling the beer for ye----donot let anyone talk ye out of a boat you like the looks and style of just because they are into sailracing, or oxymoronic behaviours lol....these boats will stand up to weather better than the performance boats most folks enjoy --gentlemen NEVER sail to weather LOL.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 15:56   #12

So the 46 is actually a teak hull, not fibreglass?
Old 15-09-2009, 16:04   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
So the 46 is actually a teak hull, not fibreglass?
is a fiberglass hull may have teak and /or ply decking -- will leak is why called leaky teaky--i love mine--woulod not trade it for anything in this world ------ they are good cruisers and excellent liveaboards and go places the performance boats are not able to handle in winds the performnce boats chicken out in--just because they take 15-20 kts to start doesnt mean they donot sail---please take the slight exaggeration as it is meant----will sail well in stiff winds and not go anywhere in light breezes.
the teak decks are beautiful and very practical IF kept up--most are not kept up properly and leak like sieves.....if you are planning to buy one--get it for a gooood price and repair it well--the boat will become part of the family....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 12:27   #14

Boat: Cascade, 36 #21 - Puff
Hi,
It seems that you need to find out what thetotal tonage should be for the design and make sure that you have the proper balast befor you hang a rig on top. If is too light a sail could take her over.
Old 16-09-2009, 12:52   #15

Boat: Allegro 33
Here, Nortsea, fishingboats use sail to staedy up in big seas.
Sail helps/Harry
Hurricane Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island trader, motor, motorsailer