Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2018, 08:31   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: advice on preparing for a life at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Oh, OK. Got it. You're on the other side. I thought you were talking about the Athens area. Spent a ton of time in Skiathos, Skopelos, etc.

By the way, the car shouldn't be slipping in Ano Glyfada. It's not that steep. maybe you are thinking about somewhere else.

Anyway, enjoy.
Black ice under snow you'll slip on the flat..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2018, 10:03   #32

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: advice on preparing for a life at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkais View Post
I will need some hands-on training first, which I can then build on with reading and experience--I know that's how I learn.
So join a sailing Club with a keel boat section and crew on as many keel boats as you can, sailing in all sorts of weather and conditions. There's only one way for anyone to gain experience sailing and that is to go sailing. And Club racing round the cans is good to get out and do it with others.
Doing courses, reading books, watching videos, are all good but they're not actually real.
I've never understood how anyone comes to the decision to sail across oceans without ever having sailed. How do you know you'll like it, not be incapacitated with seasickness, cope being out of sight of land on a tiny little boat, not be terrified when the sea state gets up to 5, 6, 7 + mtrs and can't even hear hear yourself over the sound of the wind? But every few days someone arrives at the forum with the same ambition, and asking the same questions. How does anyone become competent in anything, be it driving a car, sewing, building houses, writing software et at? You have to do it and reflect. Why isn't this obvious to all?
Old 18-12-2018, 10:49   #33

Re: advice on preparing for a life at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Black ice under snow you'll slip on the flat..
Yeah, uhuh ... gee ... thank's a bunch, delivery guy. I grew up in Maine, north of the 45th --- so I wouldn't know anything about black ice, studded snow tires, and big trucks full of salt. But anyway, thanks for piping in.

Oh ... Ps; Ano Glyfada doesn't get black ice. Just thought I'd toss that in for you.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote