Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2009, 05:13   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Absolute beginners - UK

Hi everyone
First of all let me say how impressed I am by the friendliness of this site. I hope this means I won't be laughed at when I tell you we just bought our first boat, a 21 foot cruiser, with only a very basic knowledge of how to sail. For various reasons, it was now or never, and we were hoping we could learn as we went along. However, basic stuff like changing the running rigging has left us stumped. We think it needs doing but don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend a good book or website that explains things to absolute beginners?
Thanks in advance,
Rachel.
trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 05:46   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, Rachel, and welcome to Cruisers Forum.

Is there a yacht club or sailing club near you? Joining a club is a great way to meet knowledgeable sailors who will be more than willing to help you figure things out.

Here are a few links to threads from our archives on the subject of getting started...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/saying-hi-4984.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ooks-3061.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ail-23669.html

Try the Google search function in the smaller "Search" pull-down menu up top for additional leads. Again, glad to have you here!
Old 23-03-2009, 06:04   #3

Boat: Boatless
Rachel

I used to teach Day Skipper courses in the UK...If you go out in the ocean in a 21 ft boat without learning about tides and things you will get into big trouble in a hurry and a lifeboat launch costs the system 5000 quid!!!. It is not possible to sail safely in UK waters without tidal knowledge unless you are somewhere benign like the Clyde or the 'Lakes'. Anywhere else the 25-35 ft tides and 3-6 knot tidal flows will get you into big trouble.

Do the Day Skipper course at the local sailing club...It is 50 hours of theory and 5 days on the water.

Phil
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 17:47   #4

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Rachel

I used to teach Day Skipper courses in the UK...If you go out in the ocean in a 21 ft boat without learning about tides and things you will get into big trouble in a hurry and a lifeboat launch costs the system 5000 quid!!!. It is not possible to sail safely in UK waters without tidal knowledge unless you are somewhere benign like the Clyde or the 'Lakes'. Anywhere else the 25-35 ft tides and 3-6 knot tidal flows will get you into big trouble.

Do the Day Skipper course at the local sailing club...It is 50 hours of theory and 5 days on the water.

Phil
Dear Rachel,

I agree with Phil 100%.... Where are you located in the UK?
Maybe we can give you some more specific options.

Welcome to the Forum

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 19:34   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Trio,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. I agree with all that's posted above but it is assuming you know very little about tides where you sail. Apologies if you do know about them.
Running rigging is easy to replace but to change requires some thought. Remember that whatever you change to must be easy for you to handle so more than likely what feels good in your hands is going to be way more in strength that is required. Are you going to want to change, i. e. place the blocks and fairleads in different areas? That really should be talked over with someone very familiar with your boat.
Good luck in whatever you do.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote