Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2006, 06:31   #1

a question

Has anybody ever heard of someone going out in the ocean on the sail boat and just drifting for months at a time with the currents way out there?
haloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 08:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The boats that just drifted used to be called rafts, and their occupants were called hungry.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 08:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
No, but please tell us about your experience if you get back.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 10:03   #4

Thanks. Just wondering.
Old 26-11-2006, 10:10   #5
Kai Nui

Haloman, there are stories coming up all the time about people who head off, and either get lost, get dismasted or whatever, and survive drifting around. There was a story a few years back of a guy who went missing after heading out for a day sail. He was found months later and basicly told his "rescuers"to bug off. He had started catching fish and built a catchment system for water, and was quite happy. You could certainly try it, but it will change who you are.
Old 26-11-2006, 10:19   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Some might say that I've drifted about all my life - I don't don't don't don't think it's changed me at at at at all...
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 10:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The only guy that I have heard of that has intentionaly done this, is the Contiki raft. What's his name set off to test a theory of whether Pacific Islanders and Early Maori came from South America. Since proven to be false, but a good story and endeavor all the same.
Maybe there has been others that have done such on purpose, but mostly I imagine they will be the "hungry raft drifters".

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 11:11   #8

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
There was an old guy north of Auckland used to sail a few hundred miles offshore and heave to , sometimes for weeks at a time, just coz he liked ocean sailing but couldn't be bothered with the bureaucracy involved in clearing in and out of countries. Caused an issue once when he rescued another single hander off a sinking boat then refused to go back to land for another week.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 11:12   #9

Quite a Stir

Thor Heyerdahl was the Gavin Mensies of his time: a true believer in his theory.

Heyerdahl was disproved; it remains to be seen if Menzies' theory is validated or discarded.
Old 26-11-2006, 12:40   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

No.

But, the thought had occured to me that why not just sail out from home into the Atlantic for up to a week, and then turn around and come back.

Why? Why not!

But mainly just to see how the boat, but mainly me!, coped with being away from land / easy shelter.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 15:19   #11
Kai Nui

Thomas, the scarey thing is, I believe you
David, interesting you mentioned that. I suggested to our yacht club cruising director the idea of organizing a sail out and back of 100 miles. Sort of a shake down for those who intend to go cruising, and a first opportunity for some to get out of site of land. I know, not too impressive for those of you have made blue water passages, but considering what a small minority of the sailing comunity that is, and how much larger a percentage hope to make such crossings, it could be a very good excercise. FWIW, like most ideas, it fell by the wayside.
Old 26-11-2006, 15:33   #12

Haloman,

Hey, if that's what you want to do, and you have supplies, and some way to figure out where you are, and a way to get back, then I guess drifting is perfectly fine. May get a bit rolly with a swell.

Boats float. The current moves. There you are.
Old 26-11-2006, 18:52   #13

I think that it would be interesting to go with the ocean for a spell but not for a very long time to see what happens. As long as there are no storms, but that's not going to happen. Going 100 miles and back would be fun.
Old 26-11-2006, 19:54   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Haloman,
Welcome aboard!! Just making long passages is as much fun as I can handle. Drifting while becalmed is absolutely nerve racking after the first 72 hours.
If you are a sailor and will not burden others by your antics I think you should be able to do just exactly what you want to do. If drifting is it then so be it.
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 21:19   #15
Kai Nui

It's not for everyone, that is for sure. For me it's about the journey, not the destination, my wife looks forward to the destination.