Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2008, 07:34   #1

Smile A Little Bit Dreaming

My name is Garry from Ontario Canada. At this point I do not have a boat but I am in the process of gathering as much information as I can. I also seem to have more questions than answers. I am considering a multihull. Safety, sea kindlyness, twin engine able to take me anywhere I want to go. My cruising plans at this point would be the St. Lawrence, Great Lakes. Would love to cruise to Nova Scotia at some point and long range plans down the east coast to Florida. At this point I do not have a timeline for this.
I may be dreaming but one boat I am considering is the Catana 50. Has anyone sailed on one? If so I would value their opinions. Most of the time it would be my wife and I on board, plus my daughter. I am also considering the Katey Krogen line of boats too. I love the thought of sail but safety and sea worthyness is of high priority.
Does anyone know of any bridge height restrictions on the St Lawrence that would prohibit a boat with a 77' mast?
I am in my 50's and my sailing experience is 20 years old. In my thirties I did a fair amount of just local sailing. Anyways at this point I am thinking and gathering information. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Retired&Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 07:46   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
R&H,

Like riding a bicycle. It will come back to you. May I suggest to get some time on other boats in all weather before you decide on such an expensive boat. Possibly charter a cat in the BVI, or someplace as lovely, the Bahamas. BEST WISHES in finding the right boat for you. Once you taste the pleasures of a cat you will most likely remain on the DARK SIDE....LOLOLOLOLOL
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 08:44   #3

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Live your dream.

I never sailed a boat in my life until I hoisted the main on my 40' Endeavour. After all, I had read books, watched videos, read the forums...

How much trouble can you get into at 3 knots anyhow? (I eventually signed up for unlimited towing)

It's been a blast for the last 7 years. Even the bad times have left me smiling.

Here is a web page to help you along with your dreams. I still spend hours and hours sailing on electronic charts when I can't get to the water...

Good luck and fair winds in your upcoming adventure!

NOAA
Old 14-07-2008, 09:05   #4

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Retired&Happy,
I know a number of members of this bored are envious of your position(Retired). Welcome aboard,
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 10:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WELCOME aboard !!!

Saint Lawrence Seaway Pleasure Craft Guide:
http://www.lakelandboating.com/seawa...craftguide.pdf

America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association: America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

Great Loop FAQs:
FAQs

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 12:30   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Garry,
Welcome aboard! I don't have any experience with the boats you mention. I do recommend to everyone that they consider a boat no longer than 36 LOD. It really is a lot easier to handle a smaller craft and the expense is quite a bit less. I truly had just as much fun on smaller boats as compared to larger vessels. And that certainly would take care of the bridge height requirements in your case. In my case happiness is just being on the water and it doesn't seem to matter which boat I use. I've owned 8, 10, 12, 14, 22, 35 and 42 sizes and have crewed on boats to 55 (all monohulls).
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote