Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2014, 08:48   #1

A Little Aloha from Nashville, TN!

Aloha and mahalo nui (many thanks) for the wonderful forums. I'm a full time resident of Hawai`i visiting the parents in Tennessee for a few months while doing some contract work. I'm looking to head home sometime towards the middle/end of February and decided that I'd much rather sail instead of fly this time around. I found this place while researching and rather liked it. I have a goal of completing a circumnavigation when I'm 45 and while that's still 15 years out I figure it's never to early to start learning so here I am.

I'll post a classified with more info in a couple of days, just wanted to introduce myself first.

Mahalo and aloha!
Matthew
SpiritSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 08:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: A Little Aloha from Nashville, TN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSeeker View Post
Aloha and mahalo nui (many thanks) for the wonderful forums. I'm a full time resident of Hawai`i visiting the parents in Tennessee for a few months while doing some contract work. I'm looking to head home sometime towards the middle/end of February and decided that I'd much rather sail instead of fly this time around. I found this place while researching and rather liked it. I have a goal of completing a circumnavigation when I'm 45 and while that's still 15 years out I figure it's never to early to start learning so here I am.

I'll post a classified with more info in a couple of days, just wanted to introduce myself first.

Mahalo and aloha!
Matthew
Suhweet!!!

Yer 4 hours away brotha! Cold enough for you??? Getting another cold snap next week too I hear...

So if I understand you correctly you're lookin' for a boat to take you back home to the island???

PS Welcome to the forum!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 10:06   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Matthew!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 10:12   #4

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Welcome to the forum.
I'm just up the road an hour away in Clarksville. I was stationed in Hawaii with the military and got to visit the big island. Beautiful there.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 10:32   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum Matthew.
Old 23-01-2014, 11:05   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Matthew,
Good to have you posting here.
The best time to sail from the mainland to Hawaii is in the late spring and summer months so it may be hard for you to find a crew position until then. You might though so its worth a try.
Are you a member of Na Hoa Holomoku of Hawaii Yacht Club? The one that sails from the beach in Hilo? If you aren't then you have an invitation to join and they sail at least 3 times a month and have free lessons the first Sunday of each month.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:40   #7

Mahalo everyone! Yeah, it's way too cold for me. One of the big reasons I moved to Hawai`i was to get away from the crazy winters here and yet for some reason every time I've been back to visit has been in the middle of winter. Go figure. I'm guessing you guys here in the south east do most of your sailing on Percy Priest or Center Hill? Or do you go out to Kentucky?

Hey Skipper, no I'm not a member but I know of it. In fact I think we've met before when I stopped by to look at a room for rent. I think you were just putting the final touches on your van to solar system conversion out in Lalani. Either way thank you for the invite (maybe the second one) and when I get back I'll actually take you up on it. Up until now I haven't wanted to settle down on the island, I bounced around a lot and so was never in Hilo when they were going out. But this time I'll be bringing my car back with me and slowing down so hopefully I'll see you out there soon!
SpiritSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 13:25   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Glad you know about the club. That might have been one of the other Johns in the club. There are 3 or 4 of us involved and we're confused with one another all the time. What adds to the mix is that there are two of us here in Paradise Park, John S and John L. I'm John L.. In Leilani that might have been Jon O or another John I don't know his last name.
Would be glad to meet up with you and show you around the club's many boats. If I'm there I'll be the old scruffy dude with his foot in a boot or cast depending on what the Doc says next visit.
Slowing down is required here near Hilo. Land of warm, wet weather and no seagulls.