Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 20:01   #1

Boat: Custom aluminium Freedom 40 with wishbones
A dream come true

Hi everybody,

After having dreamed of having my own sailboat and being able to fix it in exotic places, the dream came true. I just spent 3 months in Malaysia and 5 months on the hard in the north of Phuket, Thailand fixing my cat ketch aluminium copy of a Freedom 40 equipped with wishbones. I am now at anchor, still fixing it.

Yes, I know, its a wierd rigging but I love my boat and enjoy everyday on it. It's now my house and there is no going back shoveling snow for me.

So, I just wanted to say hello to the members of my new community of fellow cruisers and sailors.

By the way, I am a quebecer (french canadian), english is not my first language, so please excuse my sometimes shaky english.

Have a nice day, enjoy the ride.

Jacques
Old 02-09-2016, 20:33   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: A dream come true

Howdy and Ahoy Jacques! Welcome aboard CF!

The Freedom 40 is one of my favorite boats to see. Back in the 1980s I thought of buying one, went aboard one and looked it over carefully. This was after seeing it sail on San Francisco Bay.

Since then, the Freedom boats and others with Free Standing Masts have interested me. In CF I started a thread or discussion on the topic of Boats with Free Standing Masts. I invite you to look it over and add something to it.

Here is a link to that topic discussion:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-150283.html

------------

There is a vast amount of information here and many helpful members who have extensive experience.

How do you find those earlier threads or discussions?

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few results for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic.

I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that.

I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 23:11   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome here! "Weird rigging?" Not at all. I think you are headed for a lot of fun sailing! Send photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:54   #4

Bonjour Jacques,

What is the matter with snow? Shoveling and snow blowing are a regional obsession around these parts. Glad one of my northern neighbors have found some place warm. I am down on Lake Ontario near Rochester. Getting ready for another season of snow and cold. Enjoy your boat and may the fixes serve you well.

Regards,
Joe
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:46   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Welcome to CF Jacques.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:54   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the fruition of your dream

We would love to see some photos of the boat. Good luck and happy sailing!
Old 03-09-2016, 09:01   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Bonjour Kiss2016. Je tire mon chap au a vous pour venir ici et de le faire. Beaucoup de personnes viennent a ce forum et ne jamais acheter un bateau d'aller n'importe ou'. J'espe're vous voir a' port benetot. Je suis de l' Ontario Canada moi-meme. Mais a' gauche il y a 37 ans
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote