Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 19:46   #16

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog NZ View Post
From what I have seen on the web the price/size and quality of cruising yachts in New Zealand is comparable to other parts of the world if not cheaper when our dollar is converted into greenbacks. But there is a fair range in all 3 of these areas. Also from my understanding per capita New Zealand has the highest boat ownership in the world so there is no shortage of available boats. Feel free to have a look at

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Moored-boats/mcat-0001-0348-0031-1269-.htm

I am looking at spending $40-60k for a boat. Would be interested if anyone had any thoughts on some the boats in this range listed? Pros and cons of the various set ups.
I couldn’t help myself and had to have a look at the link. All I can say is that there are some very “interesting” boats for sale over there in NZ. It really shows how diverse and inspiring yachting must be over there. As there are people a lot more experienced than me on this site willing to give advice treat these more as good examples than recommendations! At least they might get a bit of discussion happening?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Moored-boats/auction-315414621.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Moored-boats/auction-314992471.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Moored-boats/auction-314021643.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Moored-boats/auction-316006554.htm

Then if one was going to risk the dreaded ferro these boats represent value?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Moored-boats/auction-313546559.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Yachts-sail-boats/Moored-boats/auction-276067874.htm

I really do think though the alternate construction methods and few production boats on the link must reflect how resourceful you Kiwis are?
Old 06-09-2010, 20:49   #17

Boat: To be decided?
Thanks Shane

Yep I have those on my watchlist, as you said not a lot of production boats over here, guess it has a lot to do with the distance to and from market. Most production boats tend to be in the trailer sailor category. I guess the production boats that make it down to our market are well proven in getting here. As for being resourceful we didn’t win the Americas Cup by just turning up.

Out of curiosity you might want to check this kiwi innovation out? Somehow don’t reckon it would quite make it to the states for me J

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/media/press-releases/2009/9/kiwi-innovation_nz-van-drivers-conquer-cook-strait_press-release.cfm

I guess you would notice that when converted to greenbacks not a lot of difference in price from what I have seen online, what my main influences are is the ability to purchase and outfit a boat in your hometown will be easier. If I was to fly to the states buy a boat and familiarise myself with it then I would have to kit myself out with new everything and won’t have the luxury of time on my side as over here. I probably would have to go through all sorts of red tape as you can’t fly into the states without a return ticket of some sort? Then theres all paperwork,payment details etc which I imagine would bit a bit harder than me giving someone a brown paper bag full of cash over here?

Cheers
Bluedog NZ
Old 07-09-2010, 00:59   #18

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog NZ View Post
I guess you would notice that when converted to greenbacks not a lot of difference in price from what I have seen online, what my main influences are is the ability to purchase and outfit a boat in your hometown will be easier. If I was to fly to the states buy a boat and familiarise myself with it then I would have to kit myself out with new everything and won’t have the luxury of time on my side as over here. I probably would have to go through all sorts of red tape as you can’t fly into the states without a return ticket of some sort? Then theres all paperwork,payment details etc which I imagine would bit a bit harder than me giving someone a brown paper bag full of cash over here?

Cheers
Bluedog NZ
One of the reasons I was looking for boats in America and NZ was that we had a strong AUS dollar. However, when you go converting $NZ to US the prices start loose their appeal. Then when I seriously investigated buying a boat in Mexico, which I was hoping would be easier than America, I discovered the hidden costs. Everything from airfares to duties plus the chance of getting kidnapped or murdered made the deal a lot less attractive than I first thought.

I also agree with the second part about spending time outfitting the boat. I bought my first real boat about from Airlie Beach, which is at least 2000 kilometres up the coast. While getting it home was absolutely the adventure I was looking for, everything took much longer and costed a lot more than I ever would have budgeted. Just imagine how much more complicated it would be getting the boat from the Americas home? The typical situation is that people often get the boat back without a cent to pay the import duty.

I am not saying I would not ever buy a boat from America as there are a few models over there that really appeal to me. Nevertheless, buying a boat over here first has given me some invaluable experience and insight into what such a purchase and outfitting really takes.

Another point is I just went for a walk up the break wall and saw an older yacht coming into the harbour with what looked like the top third of its mast missing. Even on my voyage I had an unforeseeable accident when someone else’s stray rope got caught round my prop doing considerable damage. I was glad I had gotten a survey which enabled me to have the boat insured. Most companies won’t touch anything without a current survey.

Oh - wonder if that bit of Kiwi ingenuity is on U-tube?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:41   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
If ya gotta do...

If you truly believe that buying a cruising yacht is for you, and you want a "budget" one I'd be looking at the "36' Offshore proven steel yacht" - Listing #: 314021643

and the "1979 Sayers 36" - Listing #: 313546559.

However the steelie would need a surveyor experienced in steel, and the ferro one with ferro experience. Best to find them and have a chat before taking things too much further.

You'll also need to make a very realistic assessment of how much it would cost to make these seaworthy enough to leave NZ before parting with any of your hard earned.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:10   #20

Boat: samson c-shell
I love the dream ,20 years agoe I did much the same thing so it can be done.
with budget factor in cost of getting boat set up for single handing and offshore and allsoe bringing boat upto n.z. cat 1 standards.