Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2004, 18:11   #1

A bit about me

I just made a posting and didn't introduce myself....how rude.

well here it goes:

I'm from Prince Edward Island Canada and moved to Ottawa when I was 18 for school.

now I'm 21 and I'm just finishing my engineering degree. So it's time to travel and we all know the best way to travel is aboard a sailboat.

I've been sailing a 16' hobie cat for a few years and sailed aboard a tall ship one summer from virginia to philidelphia called the Picton Castle. I fell in love with cruising and have been reading up on it ever since.

so please say hi and reply to my "how to buy a cruising boat"
happy sailing,
Scott
scott_CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2004, 07:58   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Hi Scott:

Some interesting stuff. I am from New Brunswick, near the other end of my engineering career, sold Hobies throughout Atlantic Canada from 76 to 88, was a faithful watcher of the Tall Ship Chronicles when the Newf TV journalist did the show on the Picton Castle, and crossed paths with it in the BVI on our way home with our new to us Tobago 35 in 2002.

The fellows on this forum continue to teach me a lot. I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

Sonosailor
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2004, 19:16   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Hobie

Sonosailor, did you go to any of the Hobie conventions around that time? I was at Newport Beach California and Las Vegas in the late 70's. Was the Hobie dealer in Penticton BC.
Michael Casling
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2004, 05:29   #4

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
I did the Newport Beach one; where Sheldon Coleman was the new owner: "The secret to my success was picking the right parents" -a very honest man. They rolled out the new H-18 in the swimming pool. Got to talk with Hobie about selling the business and his new passion, OP clothing.

Glad to renew the acquaintance, Michael.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2004, 07:46   #5

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Hobie

I was on the water when the new Hobie 18 got hit in the side by a 16, I was on another 16. Stayed in a hotel on the third floor looking out at the lower spreaders of a boat with a hollow spruce mast. I drank a few of the free beer and when I walked outside for fresh air I damm near knocked Sheldon Coleman into the swimming pool. He opolagized, what a gentleman. Two other guys that I met a lot were from Syracuse NY and Miami. It is likely that we said hi but that is a few years ago. I do recall someone from Atlantic Canada. Michael.
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote