Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-09-2011, 12:08   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Your Family History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
My oldest ancestor in the US came from Scotland about 1840. He left his wife and family (Did not Abandon them) for the gold fields of California. To get there he sailed around the Horne, got shiprecked on the coast of Chili. Was rescued and made it to Ca. He had a gold strike on the American River, dug a mine, sent gold back to his family. He was bushwacked and killed, the mine was lost to history. He is buried some place in Sonora, Ca.
His name was Benjamin Fitzpatrick Bruce, you can piece his story together if you dig hard enough on google.
Wasnt this guy one of the sailors that sailed with Richard Henry Dana in the book Two Years before the Mast..naa just kidding,about the same time I think...DVC

Old 12-09-2011, 12:16   #17

Boat: Marine Trader 47

Not famous, just a free thinker and adventurer. Aside from coming from Edenburgh I can't find a trace of him in Scotland even if he does have a famous name.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:32   #18

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Dr Crawford Williamson Long ( 1815 - 78 ) Dr. Long is my grandmothers great grandfather. Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta was named after him. The name has since been changed.
Old 12-09-2011, 15:48   #19

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Yes gangsters and diplomats are the same. You get the smartest boy in class award. And Prague was beautiful. U guys make me smile!
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 16:40   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I don't have a family tree, I have an Oleander hedge. 177 from my maternal grandparents who came here from Saba in 1877.
Old 12-09-2011, 17:03   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Does it count that I was 4 and sailed FROM the place of my ancestors?

I came to Canada from Germany at that tender age of 4 aboard this:

Great fun for a kid, including not worrying about the icebergs we saw or the Force "I don't have a clue but the waves where way higher than the bow of the ship" storm.

I have original documentation back to the 1600's, and indications in genealogical books that go back to the 1200's, although found it very hard to build things back.

What I found interesting is the linkage between all the different European ethnic groups. Some in Sweden, some in Poland etc.
Old 12-09-2011, 18:51   #22

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Family trees have a way of being a lil confused sometimes. I grew up being told that I was a direct decendant of Geronimo. On a motorcycle trip back from stir is , we stopped at cutters last stand. The park ranger narrating the story proceeded to announce that Geronimo died with out ever having children. When I questioned this with family , they said that the history books must be wrong , after all , their parents had told them , they were geronimo's direct blood. Sheesh , try telling grandma she's full of ****.........
Old 12-09-2011, 18:53   #23

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Typo...motorcycle trip back from sturgis , custers last stand . Damn auto correct on iPad makes me crazy sometimes......
Old 12-09-2011, 19:29   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
Family trees have a way of being a lil confused sometimes. I grew up being told that I was a direct decendant of Geronimo. On a motorcycle trip back from stir is , we stopped at cutters last stand. The park ranger narrating the story proceeded to announce that Geronimo died with out ever having children. When I questioned this with family , they said that the history books must be wrong , after all , their parents had told them , they were geronimo's direct blood. Sheesh , try telling grandma she's full of ****.........
hey you think you got problems,we got slave traders,a primeminister,and semites, so what if geronimo was gay..........
Old 12-09-2011, 19:43   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

rofl...........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 20:08   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My mothers side is frisbee, the frisbee family store has been family owned since, hmmm, 1600? Something like that. I traced the frisbee clan back to a village where the name was first recorded as being used. Circa 1300

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 20:11   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
I know a man that always said he was an Osage Apache and that his great great great grandfather was Oseola...only problem was Oseola was a Simanole(?)...
Old 13-09-2011, 01:48   #28

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

A couple of years back, went to the internment camp in China where my Mum was held by the Japs. Found her name on a monument there.
Went through a lot of places in Shandong where Mum was as a child and bought back photos for her - lots of memories and stories ensued.
Have also been getting into DNA genealogy, and that is really mindblowing if you have any interest in history.
Regards,
Richard.
Old 13-09-2011, 02:52   #29

Boat: looking

My ancestors were sheep stealers. Hm, maybe I should re-think that dressing up like a pirate thing. I'm a bit concerned about what they did with the sheep after they stole 'em, though. If I had curly hair I'd really be worried.
Old 13-09-2011, 06:38   #30

Boat: Marine Trader 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
My ancestors were sheep stealers. Hm, maybe I should re-think that dressing up like a pirate thing. I'm a bit concerned about what they did with the sheep after they stole 'em, though. If I had curly hair I'd really be worried.
I guess that would be BAAAAAD.

Tags
family, history

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: