Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2009, 16:27   #31

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Dear Southern Star

give her metamucil on land. it works wonders. actually psyllium husks at the health food store is the same thing at a fraction of the cost. It also clears cholesterol out of the arteries.

sorry couldn't help myself. I'm a senior citizen. your post just spoke to me.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 22:05   #32

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingmonica View Post
My husband designed and built MONICA for me as a gift for our 30th. None of us ever sailed before, or set foot on a sailboat for that matter, but we always wanted to, but couldn't afford it. So he decided to build one, and I took to it like a fish to water.

I sail, I dock, I plot courses, I am a HAM operator, I fish, I cook, I clean (even under the engine), I go up the mast - anything. And I love it.

There is nothing like being on night watch on an ocean passage, under the stars, sailing into the moon's reflection.

As for my husband, after he gave me MONICA and the incommensurate joy that came with her, he can do no wrong by me for the rest of his life.
Holy Cow!...So he just popped down to the work shop and out slid this beauty as a birthday gift?...Sheesh!...Boy am I a low life worthless husband...I have been promising my wife custom made bedroom furniture for 15 years.....I finally bought an old dresser in an antique store 2 years ago and slapped a new finish on it to pacify her.

Im impressed to say the least.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 07:40   #33

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Thank you, Stillraining

It wasn't for a birthday, though, it was for us being married for 30 years. There is a story behind the story, maybe for another thread, but the sum and substance is as follows:

We moved to Canada from an ex communist country in Eastern Europe 16 years ago, in our mid 30's. It was illegal to own a vessel propelled by anything other than oars where we came from, and we could only dream. We were astounded to see the abundance of craft of all kinds on this side of the Atlantic but the cost was prohibitive.

Then, my husband was laid off from his job as an autobody technician. One day I came home (to our small, rented house with a big lot) and I saw my clothesline laying on the grass and him walking alongside it. I asked what was he doing and he said "I am building a boat". Huh?

That was in 1999. We were living off my $15 an hour (diet is good for you), while his $15 an hour (got another job, of course) were buying the materials. We worked every evening after work and all weekends. The hull, deck and bulkheads were finished by 2001 and we moved it to a marina, as the owner of the house got married and wanted his house back. The internal led ballast was already in, we bought 5 tons of scrap led and melted it piece by piece, then poured it into forms, then chain-hoisted it in.

He bought me a jigsaw and told me to start the woodwork. I am an accountant, but lucky enough to have had a father who wished I was a boy and instead of building me a doll house taught me how to build it myself. I did it all.

He then bought a used VW Jetta Diesel car for $300. Took out the engine, rebuilt it (he is actually a car mechanic but could not work as such in Canada as he needed a Canadian licence) and marinized it (used a heat exchanger from a school bus). The engine is still in the boat, working flawlessly. We then did all the plumbing, electrical and so on. Took sailing courses in the meantime.

The boat was commissioned in 2004. We left for a one year cruise in 2007, right after we celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary. We came back to refill the credit cards so we can go again.

That's pretty much it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	August 15, 2009 046.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	9471  
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 07:46   #34

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
What a fantastic story which just goes to show it can be done. Well done you.
Old 21-08-2009, 09:43   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
my other half as it were is a formosa 41 and a kat---he is capt of the ship, and weighs in at 20 pounds, dry! he loves water and he loves the boat and does not get seasick---he doesnt like lightning, however---but then neither do i---i hide beneath him in that instance.....we do have a freind/partner we sail with--he does fine in lightning while gritting his teeth--i think we have to go to a better and warmer place with him--i figgger the carib this winter should do it...LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 13:31   #36

Boat: Dufour 36 Classic kamahele
the "kids" are IN

When the better half is seasick, I have these boys to navigate and handle the lines....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	maycats07 019.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	520.2 KB
ID:	9474   Click image for larger version

Name:	sept07 041.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	9475  

k2kamahele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 00:22   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Out

She’s a mountain girl and not at all interested in being some sea monsters snack.
Never really given it fair go, and says day trips or weekenders may be on, but passage making doesn’t interest her....she likes the comforts of home.
Hopefully next summer the refit will be done and I can get her out there and start changing her mind…..oh yeh…that’s what I said last summer!
She does like the cruise ships….may just be a question of size…..where have I heard that before?

Great story SailingMonica.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	comforts.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	9492  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 01:09   #38

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Out for my wife. At first she was considering the idea of cruising, but its just not her nature. She is not any kind of a risk taker in that regard. Also we are getting ready to file for divorce, but cruising and sailing are not the causes. I`m sure that it didn`t help any either.
Old 22-08-2009, 05:47   #39

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
She says she is in as long as there is internet, she gets bored easy and internet helps that. I have been surprised how quickly she has taken to it. She taking an ASA sailing class next month. She asks me "are we going this weekend?'.
Old 22-08-2009, 07:19   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingMonica
It was illegal to own a vessel propelled by anything other than oars where we came from, and we could only dream.
...Ain't capitalism GREAT!..

You both have a tremendous work ethic...

Congrats on a job well done and heres to wishing you and yours nothing but fair winds in the years ahead enjoying the fruits of your labor..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 22-08-2009, 09:00   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Fredia finally committed to cruising Oh Joy.

Even though she was scared spitless one day crossing the strait when she had to helm while I went forward to set the Staysail. She couldn't see and had to watch my hand signals as we were surfing down some serious waves. A wave would catch us, Oh Joy would start to yaw, I would hold up a hand to point which way she needed to turn until back on course and then continue with my work. Later as we surfed along the 15 footers in beam seas, heeling from 30 to 70 degrees as the waves came onto the boat, her eyes were big as saucers until Oh Joy hardened up and sprinted along the face at 10-12 knots before finally sliding over the back side.

For four hours she stood on the companionway ladder, too scared to come out or go below. Kinda shocking for her first experience with real weather but we made it from San Juan to Port Townsend in four hours averaging 11 knots for that stretch. I did get a big laugh from her when, after a nasty dousing while I was smoking a butt, I flicked the rest over and hollered "Here Davey, take a puff and calm the "F" down". The trip was easier after that..

She watched "Morning Light" with me and was really inspired by it. She said "If those kids could do it, then she felt she might be able to also". A nice thing to hear...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 10:51   #42
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I had my ex back out of cruising, so I left alone. It was a deal we made the night we met. She stood on the dock crying as I motored away 6 years later, and out of the marina. She drove like mad across the Oakland Bay Bridge, through S.F., only to arrive in time to take this pic of Frolic, and I heading west, and out the GG Bridge.........i2f
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OUT THE GATE & LEFT.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	9499  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 19:57   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I had my ex back out of cruising, so I left alone. It was a deal we made the night we met. She stood on the dock crying as I motored away 6 years later, and out of the marina. She drove like mad across the Oakland Bay Bridge, through S.F., only to arrive in time to take this pic of Frolic, and I heading west, and out the GG Bridge.........i2f
Dang i2f...remind me not to make you any promises once we've started drinking if your holding the car keys...

Old 23-08-2009, 09:23   #44

sorry about the split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattcatdaddy View Post
Out for my wife. At first she was considering the idea of cruising, but its just not her nature. She is not any kind of a risk taker in that regard. Also we are getting ready to file for divorce, but cruising and sailing are not the causes. I`m sure that it didn`t help any either.
sorry about the divorce.

perhaps your next companion, should you venture there again, will have that in common with you.
Old 23-08-2009, 09:28   #45

perhaps I should search threads under pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2kamahele View Post
When the better half is seasick, I have these boys to navigate and handle the lines....
how do you handle the kitty litter latrine situation on a heeling monohull?

If the spouse and I purchase a monohull, I'm wondering how our cat's litter box will be kept from spilling all over the boat in one disgusting lurch.

Do you just close the litter box up and seal it while under way (thus requiring gato to cross his legs while under a passage)?

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of a gimbaled litter box.