Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 20-02-2011, 10:45   #46

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How do you substantiate the claimed link between Somalian Pirates and Terrorists like Al Quaeda?
Somalia's terror group al Shabab to support al Qaeda operations in Yemen - National Yemen Headlines | Examiner.com

http://www.examiner.com/law-enforcem...rrorist-groups

Old 20-02-2011, 10:49   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
massage

don't belive everything you read in the western press.............

sounds like a mandate to me.....................

Old 20-02-2011, 10:55   #48

in January 2010, the Somali-based Muslim terrorist group Al-Shabaab announced that its fighters are aligned with al-Qaeda's global terrorism campaign. While the U.S. continues to battle the Taliban and remnants of al-Qaeda, Somalia has morphed into a haven for terrorist groups and their training camps.
Old 20-02-2011, 11:05   #49
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Why is this about the people in the USA and the US government? There are dozens of countries who are equally capable and they are choosing to ignore what is happening there. That includes not helping their own victimized citizens. How is the US responsible for any of this? It's not our Responsibility to police the world, our government does so at its own discretion. The american people don't even really have a voice in a those decisions.
I was addressing the US members of this forum, as they are the only Americans reading my post and 99% of the posters in this thread who I think are ignoring Mark's post.

I never wrote US government... many nations send their men to fight against Al Qaeda, incl. UK, Holland etc. and they all have their navies in the IO and GoA and all fail to act decisively. India is miles ahead with their naval operations against these pirates.

I never wrote that the US is responsible either. I only pointed out that what I read here, seems to be in favour of these pirates now and then which, imho, is wrong. The pirates are the criminals; it is their fault; the cruisers and mariners are victims, not the other way around.

I don't understand why people try to tell that the pirates are good people and that their kidnapped victims deserve what they got.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 20-02-2011, 11:15   #50
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
This is just like WWII the other countries in the world won't do anything unless the U.S.A. agrees to back them.
When in doubt, invent a fact?

World War II began in September of 1939 when Germany invaded Poland. The USA didn't enter the war until December of 1941, after being attacked by Japan.
Old 20-02-2011, 11:25   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don't understand why people try to tell that the pirates are good people and that their kidnapped victims deserve what they got.

cheers,
Nick.
Ahem, I think everyone sees the pirates as bad people doing bad things. I think some see other culpable parties who, like the pirates, are also guilty of doing bad things. And finally, I think SOME people believe the crew of the Quest engaged in potentially irresponsible, or misguided, activity. None of these are exclusive acts which require a purely opposite view simply because two parties don't share the EXACT same opinions.

Pirates can be bad people, AND outside parties can be exploitive of Somalia. Both have engaged in aggregious activity and there is no excuse for the acts of either. The crew of the Quest DOES bear SOME self responsibility for their predicament and MOST of us hope for their eventual safe release.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 20-02-2011, 11:38   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
I too would be a pirate if I didn't have a conscionse(sp?) or a soul.
I don't wanna ruin your day - but you don't actually have a soul. apart from the one you are sitting on.

A lack of conscience (if it's not spelt correctly - it's pretty close - but am too lazy to Google ) does not mean someone automatically becomes a Pirate although I can see how that would help

And even Pirates have The Pirate Code - Arrrrrghhh
Old 20-02-2011, 11:51   #53
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
The american people don't even really have a voice in a those decisions.
Why not launch a protest movement for Democracy - all the rage at the moment.

The irony is that every western tax payer (at least those within the usual suspects) have helped kill more innocent people around the world than a Somali Pirate ever will. or Osama bin ladin could dream about.

If I buy even 1 bullet for Osama or simply get him a new TV I would be treated like a criminal (get hidden in a dark hole forever), if not as a terrorist (have something that goes bang land on my car during a trip with the family).........but not if I acheive the same effect via my taxes

Not to say I am against "us" killing swathes of innocents via my tax bill - keeps the price of my gas down. and cheap resources available that does benefit me. What's not to like?
Old 20-02-2011, 11:54   #54

We have been going about this all wrong.Instead of "liberating" these countries,we need to take them over and keep them for ourselves.
Old 20-02-2011, 12:07   #55
Armchair Bucketeer

Japan attacked the US.
Germany declared war on America.

I recall that it's a US constitional issue, President can't declare war - only Congress..........so if a President wants a war the only tool he has is a stick to poke things with - until attacked "unexpectedly" Of course a war of defence is also easier to sell at home........

To be honest I think Britain made the wrong decision to fight on We ended up living with Stalin, so no reason why not Hitler. We even put up with George Bush

The reason we did was more about the Warmonger Churchill whose career was dedicated solely to the greater glory of..........Churchill. But just like (not always of course) the military give medals to folk instead of a court martial Britain has had to live with Churchill "the national saviour" since.........as too embarrasing to admit otherwise.

One thing Churchill was damned right about was his prophecy: "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it" - and he did. and it was. But gotta remember that at the end of WWII Churchill got voted out sharpish - and in a landslide.........
Old 20-02-2011, 12:19   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Need I even say it? Please don't start another one of these if you intend to take it down this route again.

Thanks.

Old 20-02-2011, 12:31   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
This one started on shakey ground and isn't standing up well.

Closed.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: