Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 08:05   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
But the proceeds of piracy are going not to the local somalis but to Al Quaeda.

How do you justify that?
This.
Old 20-02-2011, 08:06   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:

How do you justify that?
Why is this post totally ignored? Don't the people in the USA know what Al Quaeda is? Let me help you then: Osama Bin Laden, WTC towers in NYC? ring a bell?

The politicians are sending in their soldiers to die fighting Al Quaeda in Iraq and Afghanistan while allowing Al Quaeda to earn the funds needed to wage war by kidnapping and piracy in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden.

And here in this forum we talk about how sorry we must feel for these pirates? Well, not me, pirates are the worst form of criminals, fight and deal with them harshly!

Nick.
Old 20-02-2011, 08:09   #33

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
[QUOTE=smurphny;623878]So....in other words, doing greatly evil deeds is justified by perceived previous evil deeds being done to you. Where has this lead the human race so far? Where does personal responsibility figure in? Just why has this part of the world been so poor for so long and why can't they stop behaving like f#@$ing savages and do something to change their condition for the better? Are we responsible for everyone? I am so tired of the liberal "America is guilty" line. We send billions in aid, in many forms, to try to encourage growth in these places and they spit in our faces and continue to wallow in ignorance and cruelty.

Violence is the only thing they know.It is sad but true.WE give them GUNS and MONEY to fight and they use them to gain POWER,the ones who take over turn to Corruption,then it starts all over again.We only take notice when it affects our MONEY or our people.
Old 20-02-2011, 08:16   #34

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Why is this post totally ignored? Don't the people in the USA know what Al Quaeda is? Let me help you then: Osama Bin Laden, WTC towers in NYC? ring a bell?

The politicians are sending in their soldiers to die fighting Al Quaeda in Iraq and Afghanistan while allowing Al Quaeda to earn the funds needed to wage war by kidnapping and piracy in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden.

And here in this forum we talk about how sorry we must feel for these pirates? Well, not me, pirates are the worst form of criminals, fight and deal with them harshly!

Nick.
Why is this about the people in the USA and the US government? There are dozens of countries who are equally capable and they are choosing to ignore what is happening there. That includes not helping their own victimized citizens. How is the US responsible for any of this? It's not our Responsibility to police the world, our government does so at its own discretion. The american people don't even really have a voice in a those decisions.
Old 20-02-2011, 08:20   #36

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post

(...)

The more difficult challenge that I offer to you is to put yourself in the shoes of a Somali pirate. The goal of this not to make some liberal, pacifist rant (though I am both liberal and a pacifist), but an attempt to understand both sides of the problem in the search for a solution.

(...)
First, apologies for abbreviating you post this much, but we both know readers can read it up in full above. I did.

Now my question is if you are BS-ing me or not?

If everybody around started to apply your way of thinking (logic would not be a word to use here, so I don't) how would the world look then?

Are yo aware of the fact that these people do not sail out asking for food, money or help but they come after you with a gun and request millions of USD in ransom, sometimes killing you in the process?

Do you really need millions of dollars to buy your food and clothes in a third world country?

And they do so outside of borders of their 'country'. International waters are mine and theirs and excuse me but if your poor camarades from their poor criminal 'country' come after me, I will try to kill as many as I can before they get me. I do not want my country to pay the ransom. I want my country to go get them and kill them. So that they cannot go and hurt other cruisers. And so that they cannot propagate their 'way of living' to their 10 children.

Yes I know I sound rough. I am aware that my response is not perfectly correct with this Forum's rules and I accept it if a Moderator takes it out. It happened before. Yet I hope at least the Moderator will read it and maybe this will help them not succumb to your Utopian blah.

BTW If you care about putting me into third world boots then please stop - I am living a marginal lifestyle here and I am neither robing nor murdering anyone because they have what I do not have. Having the little I have I still try and share with others, third world or first world.

BTW I do not believe you have ever been to any such place. I have. The picture you gave us is completely wrong.

Cheers,
barnie
Old 20-02-2011, 08:21   #37

What happened in Somalia is just a picture of the future for much of humanity. Too many people trying to make a living off a worn out planet with depleted resources. It is an ugly future. When people can no longer make a living off fishing, or farming, or being a merchant, they turn to crime. Somalia is depleted of resources and over populated with people. This disaster is going to be common all over the world. The so called "New World Order" will probably be nothing more than the super wealthy living in enclaves surrounded by privately funded security forces, while the rest of the world makes a living picking through their trash.
Old 20-02-2011, 08:23   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
send the chinese in to somalia to colonise the place
,fairly sure uncle sam would have somthing to say about that,as he did when destabalising the whole region in the 70's against uncle ivan.

"every action has an equal and opposite reaction"
Old 20-02-2011, 08:30   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
How do you justify that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

The politicians are sending in their soldiers to die fighting Al Quaeda in Iraq and Afghanistan while allowing Al Quaeda to earn the funds needed to wage war by kidnapping and piracy in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Aden...
How do you substantiate the claimed link between Somalian Pirates and Terrorists like Al Quaeda?

Old 20-02-2011, 08:38   #40

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
If he was 8 yrs old in 1991, how is he only 13 in 2004 ??
School was suspended also.
Old 20-02-2011, 08:39   #41

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
You may be right Beowulf.
Old 20-02-2011, 09:09   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
A thief is a thief, throw in kidnapping, murder, extortion--there is no rational for crimes of terror. If akmed or whomever conducts this kind of behavior a single bullet to the head is what is called for.
Let's leave the US govt out of this.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 20-02-2011, 09:19   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i was gonnasay somefing but the kat in me got out and i had to stop--was realllly goood tho--lol......
and i would not have any doubt whatsoever that any monies grabbed by pirates or gained by the somalis goes to al quaeda--is the way--why would it not go there?????

and i still believe, as a 3rd cousin of bene arnold, that ALL pirates and ALL traitors NEED to be hung from th yardarm for all to see as a deterrent to future happenings of similar intent. we dont need no stinkin trials-- these have no peers....
Old 20-02-2011, 09:22   #44
CLOD

Boat: none
I think everyone knows WHY the pirates do what they do! But whatever the cause of that is doesn't really matter to me as an excuse for it!

I had a longer post; but this is a cruisers forum and I decided the only issue for CF is the fact of the pirates, not the cause.
Old 20-02-2011, 09:42   #45
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How do you substantiate the claimed link between Somalian Pirates and Terrorists like Al Quaeda?
many sources, like this:

Quote:
Arab officials and navigation experts attending a regional meeting on combating piracy in the Gulf of Aden and the Western Indian Ocean pointed to the existence of links between Somali pirates and al-Qaeda.

Al-Qaeda linked al-Shabab militia employs gangs of pirates through whom al-Qaeda seeks to control the Bab el-Mandab Strait, they said.

Last February, al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) announced that the Bab el-Mandab Strait is a strategic target for the organisation. An audio recording by AQAP leader Said al-Shihri said his group is looking to control the strait with the help of "Somali mujahideen" to achieve "global influence".
Arab officials identify link between Somali pirates and al-Qaeda

cheers,
Nick
Closed Thread